Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taking a dog to the channel isles (and back again)

Has anyone taken their pet cruising to the channel islands?

The states of Jersey web site says it is allowed but the uk sites are not clear on coming back.

We want to take the boat to jersey/guernsey for a trip but I cannot find out the rules for the return to the uk.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Andydent2000 View Post
    Has anyone taken their pet cruising to the channel islands?

The states of Jersey web site says it is allowed but the uk sites are not clear on coming back.

We want to take the boat to jersey/guernsey for a trip but I cannot find out the rules for the return to the uk.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    No problems with CIs, just can't go in marinas. Been there and back many times with hounds. No other regulations to consider

Thepipdoc is offline Registered User

It aint a problem. Done it twice this year.
    You will not be allowed into the visitors Marina. You will either have to stay on a pontoon outside the marina, or you will be given a proper berth in the residents marina as we were when we visited at Easter.
    This is of course providing you're not coming back from France.
    www.sealinef43.com - Stunner for sale. (Actually its now sold!)

This is one of our stupid @rse rules. You can take a dog to CI as mentioned but it can't go on the inner pontoons or on the land. If it does you will have to ensure you have pet passport in place and it is wormed and ticked 24hrs before returning and has to come in through public transport, ie you go to the ferry terminal wife takes dogs on ferry, you follow in boat and then once cleared uk dogs go back on board. Mega stupid but that's the rules.

What does happen is people do a crafty and let dogs out and don't say anything which is ok unless someone drops you in it

It is almost pointless going through the passport scheme you may as well have all the jabs done just before you go.

hlb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SolentPhill View Post
    This is one of our stupid @rse rules. You can take a dog to CI as mentioned but it can't go on the inner pontoons or on the land. If it does you will have to ensure you have pet passport in place and it is wormed and ticked 24hrs before returning and has to come in through public transport, ie you go to the ferry terminal wife takes dogs on ferry, you follow in boat and then once cleared uk dogs go back on board. Mega stupid but that's the rules.

What does happen is people do a crafty and let dogs out and don't say anything which is ok unless someone drops you in it

It is almost pointless going through the passport scheme you may as well have all the jabs done just before you go.
    This is total rubbish. The Ci's just dont want dogs in their marinas. Well not the council run ones anyway. You can stop at say St Peters Port, on a pontoon in the outer harbour, then take your dog ashore by dinghy or taxi. No problems.

You can also ask for a harbour/ marina, without these restrictions. There are a few. So in some cases, dogs are banned from some marina's, but not from the CI's. There are no laws about taking your dog from the UK to the CI's and back again.

Much different if you go to France. Then you need dog passport and it must go by ferry and come back on one again.

In the real world, been to france Britany, Ci's and all over the place. No one asked any questions except SPP, you cant bring yer dog in ear.

Cant even remember if the dog went to France. No one asked and we'd mostly arrive back, some where like Salcolme, with no one to tell. Eventually we'd get back to Plymouth, but by that time it did not seem worth while bothering them.

So Yes you can take your dog to the CI's and back again, but just like here, there maybe some pubs or marinas, they are not allowed in.

You can take a dog freely from England to the Channel Islands and back to England and land it ashore freely providing it has not been via France by private boat.

The only way you can bring a dog by sea from France to CI or England is by commercial ferry.

Phone up and ask Beaucette Marina in Guernsey 01481 245000.
    Their website says :

4. I have a dog and a cat onboard. Are they welcome at the Beaucette Marina?
    Yes, pets are allowed on leash IF*the arriving vessel has not called at any port outside the United Kingdom or Channel Islands and that none of the animals have, within the preceding 6 months, been in a place outside Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

There is very good walking at Beaucette and rabbits, you can take a dog on guernsey busses at the drivers discretion. In guernsey there is good dog walking around pretty well the whole coast line except you are not allowed on some beaches in the summer and the south end of the island on the cliffs is great walking.

In St Peter Port you can use the pontoons in the pool and row ashore with your dinghy. You are not allowed in a St Peter Port marina with a dog on board.

In Jersey you can by arangement go in the Elizabeth marina but phone first to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by hlb View Post
    This is total rubbish. .
    Some people can be so nice.

I stand corrected as has been pointed out but it would have been better and not quite so arrogant had this poster said "this was the case up to Jan 1st this year when the rules changed". but typical of some on here who love to slag.

I was not aware of a rule change my info came from the lady on the Jersey stand at the boat show. I did not speak to them at the last show so I was not aware of any rule change as I guess many on here were.

I have dogs and have not taken them to CI in the past for those reasons, but it appears the CI have changed their rules as from this year so I guess 2012 is different.
    Last edited by SolentPhill; 22-05-12 at 08:04.

... "this was the case up to Jan 1st this year when the rules changed"...
    I think you will find that isn't the case either, I don't believe there has ever been any restriction on dogs moving between the CI and UK. They have always had the same restrictions with the rest of Europe as the UK so are considered "Rabies free".
    Last edited by l'escargot; 22-05-12 at 10:05.
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298644

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-15520601

old rules:

For your pet to enter Jersey from these countries, you must answer ‘yes’ to the all of the following
    questions:

· is your pet microchipped*?
    · is your pet currently vaccinated against rabies?
    · was your pet vaccinated after it was microchipped?
    · have you got an EU Pet Passport or Official Veterinary Health Certificate*** from your vet
    certifying the microchip and vaccination?
    · have 21 days passed since it was vaccinated?
    · has your dog been treated for tapeworm 1-5 days before scheduled arrival?
    · are you travelling into Jersey with your pet on an approved carrier?

What about ticks and other diseases?

From 1 January, tick treatment for pets entering Jersey will not be required but all pet owners
    travelling abroad with their pets should discuss disease prevention with their vet and the possible need
    for pets to be treated for ticks prior to departure to provide optimal protection, as part of good animal
    health practice.
    Last edited by SolentPhill; 22-05-12 at 08:39.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298644

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-15520601

old rules:

For your pet to enter Jersey from these countries, you must answer ‘yes’ to the all of the following
    questions:

· is your pet microchipped*?
    · is your pet currently vaccinated against rabies?
    · was your pet vaccinated after it was microchipped?
    · have you got an EU Pet Passport or Official Veterinary Health Certificate*** from your vet
    certifying the microchip and vaccination?
    · have 21 days passed since it was vaccinated?
    · has your dog been treated for tapeworm 1-5 days before scheduled arrival?
    · are you travelling into Jersey with your pet on an approved carrier?

What about ticks and other diseases?

From 1 January, tick treatment for pets entering Jersey will not be required but all pet owners
    travelling abroad with their pets should discuss disease prevention with their vet and the possible need
    for pets to be treated for ticks prior to departure to provide optimal protection, as part of good animal
    health practice.
    These countries most likely didn't include England or had been written by an idiot.

BUT

Taking your dog to the CI wipes out 95% of your safe havens, if cruising with a mate that is happy to take your dog home if you break down or become ill, perhaps its a risk some will take but if it cuts up rough its nice to have the option to pop into France, dogs best left at home with relatives IMHO.