Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 173
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Canaries
    Posts
    22

    Default Bavaria lost keel again

    A well maintained Bavaria 390 Lagoon lost her keel in the middle of the Atlantic on 22. May 2012. Just the waves were enough to separate the keel from the hull. The danish Sailing Vessel "Petra" was on her way back to Europe when 650 sm northeast of Bermuda without warning the keel fall off their boat. The crew could be rescued.
    For more info please check www: noonsite and www: sy-petra.dk
    Last edited by Annabell; 27-05-12 at 22:28.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South East Coast - United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,078

    Default

    The actual Mayday message was transmitted at 1608Z on the 19 May, two days earlier than your report, where there location was given as 34° 40'N 053° 15'W.

    There were two people onboard.
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Home Shropshire 6/12; boat Greece 6/12
    Posts
    10,416

    Default

    Before people indulge their prejudices (and I don't have a Bavaria) I wonder how hard the grounding was, that they'd previously had?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Brittany
    Posts
    15,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charles_reed View Post
    Before people indulge their prejudices (and I don't have a Bavaria) I wonder how hard the grounding was, that they'd previously had?
    How many times does a thing like this need to happen to a Bavaria before it ceases to be a prejudice?
    www.guapa.pn
    "Mieux vaut flotter sans grâce que couler en beauté…"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Home Shropshire 6/12; boat Greece 6/12
    Posts
    10,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OR4751 View Post
    How many times does a thing like this need to happen to a Bavaria before it ceases to be a prejudice?
    probability, sir, there's one hell of a lot of them out there and many driven pretty incompetently.
    You do, in this life, get what you pay for and Bavarias are not (well) over-engineered.
    But treated carefully, they're perfectly reasonable boats for the majority, who just want a cottage in the marina and eschew sailing in more than an F3.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West London/Gosport
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    The yacht is from 1990. It's pretty well travelled.
    This report can be read several ways depending upon how the boat was maintained.
    1. The keel bolts lasted 22 years with no maintenance.
    or
    2. The keel bolts failed even though the boat was well maintained.

    It would be nice to know how the keel failed.
    Whilst there are many boats out there older than this one with keels still bolted on without maintenance this boat will have had significantly more bending actions than most due to the use it's been put through.
    My conclusions would be:
    1. Bolts were worn out and should have been replaced
    or
    2. Keel bolts fine but significant grounding in their history.
    or
    3. Repetitive drying out where loads were not distributed evenly.

    I'm sure others may have suggestions but I wouldn't be prejudicing this as a Bavaria issue.
    Unless the hull laminate failed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    32,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charles_reed View Post
    probability, sir, there's one hell of a lot of them out there and many driven pretty incompetently.
    You do, in this life, get what you pay for and Bavarias are not (well) over-engineered.
    But treated carefully, they're perfectly reasonable boats for the majority, who just want a cottage in the marina and eschew sailing in more than an F3.
    Think there are many of the thousands of Bavaria owners who sail all round the world in who would completely disagree with such patronising and untrue statements.

    BTW the Bavaria under discussion, as has been pointed out, is more than 20 years old, was built to Germanischer Lloyds and in its day was considered a very high quality boat, selling in the same market space as boats such as HR.

    You have no idea how the boat has been used (other than it is well travelled), who was sailing it nor what the cause of the failure was, so how can you make any meaningful comment?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Italy - Milan
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post

    BTW the Bavaria under discussion, as has been pointed out, is more than 20 years old, was built to Germanischer Lloyds and in its day was considered a very high quality boat, selling in the same market space as boats such as HR.
    +1

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK, Greece and Spain
    Posts
    23,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Think there are many of the thousands of Bavaria owners who sail all round the world in who would completely disagree with such patronising and untrue statements.

    BTW the Bavaria under discussion, as has been pointed out, is more than 20 years old, was built to Germanischer Lloyds and in its day was considered a very high quality boat, selling in the same market space as boats such as HR.

    You have no idea how the boat has been used (other than it is well travelled), who was sailing it nor what the cause of the failure was, so how can you make any meaningful comment?
    +2, what a silly statement for the other poster to make

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait
    Posts
    21,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talulah View Post
    The yacht is from 1990. It's pretty well travelled.
    This report can be read several ways depending upon how the boat was maintained.
    1. The keel bolts lasted 22 years with no maintenance.
    or
    2. The keel bolts failed even though the boat was well maintained.

    It would be nice to know how the keel failed.
    Whilst there are many boats out there older than this one with keels still bolted on without maintenance this boat will have had significantly more bending actions than most due to the use it's been put through.
    My conclusions would be:
    1. Bolts were worn out and should have been replaced
    or
    2. Keel bolts fine but significant grounding in their history.
    or
    3. Repetitive drying out where loads were not distributed evenly.

    I'm sure others may have suggestions but I wouldn't be prejudicing this as a Bavaria issue.
    Unless the hull laminate failed.
    Unless you know a lot more than the noonsite report says, I don't see how you can draw any conclusions at all. Your 1. - how do bolts 'wear out'? 2. and 3. Where has this come from? And how do they make any difference?

    There are many possibilities, none of which we know.

Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to