Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Default YAPP: A Sailing Raspberry Pi

Without going into the whys and the wherefores and the do you mind if I don'ts...

I bought a Raspberry Pi and thought I'd see if it could be used with some sailing apps. I thought I'd start simple with zyGrib.

The ready made binaries aren't for processors of the type used in the Raspberry Pi, so you do need to compile them from scratch.

Also, one of the pre-requisites is only available in too early a version in the built-in software repository. Again, you need to compile your own.

I've written a script:
    http://pastebin.com/dv4h9VJu

To run it, download it and save it as zygrib_rasPi.sh then right click and change the properties to allow it to execute. Double-click et voila. (let me know if it doesn't work - with any error messages)

Compiling takes quite a while, and you will need to accept things and enter passwords from time-to-time.

Hopefully that'll make it easier for people to make it go - it works well once the initial load has occurred.

OpenCPN next? Anyone fancy having a bash?

What other programs would people want to run on it?

Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    Without going into the whys and the wherefores and the do you mind if I don'ts...

I bought a Raspberry Pi and thought I'd see if it could be used with some sailing apps. I thought I'd start simple with zyGrib.

The ready made binaries aren't for processors of the type used in the Raspberry Pi, so you do need to compile them from scratch.

Also, one of the pre-requisites is only available in too early a version in the built-in software repository. Again, you need to compile your own.

I've written a script:

To run it, download it and save it as zygrib_rasPi.sh then right click and change the properties to allow it to execute. Double-click et voila. (let me know if it doesn't work - with any error messages)

Compiling takes quite a while, and you will need to accept things and enter passwords from time-to-time.

Hopefully that'll make it easier for people to make it go - it works well once the initial load has occurred.

Interestingly enough, I've just been reading up on the debian developers page about an OpenCPN development. It is 99% complete and is just waiting to be released for version 2.6.0 ..... watch this space!

I'm a complete newbie to all this and I'm still ot sure where to start, I'm running Debian on virtualbox to try and get to grips with it. I'm going to have a go at using python for a bit of basic programming.....
    www.cobraseawolf.webs.com - Cobra and Seawolf Owners Site

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish24 View Post
    Interestingly enough, I've just been reading up on the debian developers page about an OpenCPN development. It is 99% complete and is just waiting to be released for version 2.6.0 ..... watch this space!

I'm a complete newbie to all this and I'm still ot sure where to start, I'm running Debian on virtualbox to try and get to grips with it. I'm going to have a go at using python for a bit of basic programming.....
    There's a few hacks in that script (some day I'll work out which one made it work and remove the others) but with an hour or so on Google, you should be able to follow the commands I'm using there (for reference the ~ means this user's home directory)

Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post

I've written a script:

I spent this morning trying to compile OpenCPN on Debian. No errors until I ran out of virtual memory ... and then Pi died 30 minute later

It's going to take me a while....

I haven't even worked out how to enter commands on debian..... :s

Glad someone is looking at this! I've had the email from RS so I can place the order, looking for a nav system on the boat using a 7" lcd screen from a duel screen dvd player.

Not used Linux for a while so will have to get the head back in the books ;-)

Cheers

Stu

Just in case anyone hasnīt had google come up with this...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...arm-74082.html

http://opencpn.xtr.cz/ticki/

So for those of us who have absolutly NO experience with Debian, how do i configure this?

I have tried to find beginners guides but they all require a certain amount ofunderstanding, which I don't have......

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish24 View Post
    So for those of us who have absolutly NO experience with Debian, how do i configure this?
    Are you asking about running the OP's script (in which case which of the steps in his post are you having difficulty with?), or configuring Debian generally?

Pete

I'm currently running a debian gnome on virtual box, trying to get ahead of the curve before I get the RPi. I've set up VB to run at 256mb and 8gb of HD. It has everything else set upto run as a RPi.

I have never used Linux before but want to learn as it has always appealed to me.

Once I get over the basic I will be able to teach myself much more but it's just getting the basics going.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast