Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Exclamation Coppercoat - feedback

Boat came out today - lift/hold/drop to change the anodes and to grease the prop.

COPPERCOAT - After 2 years in the water.
    Some slime - nothing more.
    Well pleased - I should have had her done years ago.

Nice looking boat

I listed a starlight 39 today that was treated 10 years ago and has been rtw with just a touch up here and there. It's still in great shape and if they were keeping her the owners would do it again.
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

psp is offline Registered User

Default coppercoat

looked at a boat coppercoated a few weeks ago, it had more weed and slime on than mine which had two year old antifouling. Anybody know what might have gone wrong?

I've watched these seeming-contradictory reports over the past year and longer, and still don't know how to judge what's for the best.

I'd like the benefits of multi-year freedom from encrustation and a limited annual effort, but certainly don't want to spend hard-saved shekels paying a premium price for what could well turn out to be a less-than-premium performance.

Just what is it makes the difference between a very satisfied group of Copperbot'd clients and an apparently similar group who'd rather not have bothered.....?

What does one need to do, on a used boat?

Quote Originally Posted by psp View Post
    looked at a boat coppercoated a few weeks ago, it had more weed and slime on than mine which had two year old antifouling. Anybody know what might have gone wrong?
    I too have heard some Coppercoat horror stories.
    Spoke to quite a few boatowners who had gone down the Coppercoat road before we finally took the plunge ourselves.
    It seemed that the (large) majority - but not all - of the cases where it 'went wrong' were DIY applications.

Quote Originally Posted by OR4751 View Post
    I too have heard some Coppercoat horror stories.
    Spoke to quite a few boatowners who had gone down the Coppercoat road before we finally took the plunge ourselves.
    It seemed that the (large) majority - but not all - of the cases where it 'went wrong' were DIY applications.
    Yes, as I understand it, the success rate is all down to the application.
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

Quote Originally Posted by jonic View Post
    Yes, as I understand it, the success rate is all down to the application.
    Yes, that's accepted, but
    Just what is it makes the difference?
    We've heard from several owners who report being ultra-meticulous in following the instructions, and yet end up dissatisfied with the outcomes. It's a 'mechanical' process - get the hull to a certain good standard of preparation, control the environment in respect of rain and temperature, mix and apply the product exactly as briefed, let set, then burnish exactly as briefed.

I cannot see those in the trade spending costly extra hours going over every inch with a critical eye, a scraper and a sanding block. Proud owners, certainly.....

So, what do those in the trade do differently, but successfully, that the rest of us don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by oldbilbo View Post
    Yes, that's accepted, but

We've heard from several owners who report being ultra-meticulous in following the instructions, and yet end up dissatisfied with the outcomes. It's a 'mechanical' process - get the hull to a certain good standard of preparation, control the environment in respect of rain and temperature, mix and apply the product exactly as briefed, let set, then burnish exactly as briefed.

I cannot see those in the trade spending costly extra hours going over every inch with a critical eye, a scraper and a sanding block. Proud owners, certainly.....

So, what do those in the trade do differently, but successfully, that the rest of us don't know about?
    I agree Bilbo. I watched a so called "professional" outfit doing a 36 ft yacht next to mine recently. Frankly they spoke with great authority and IMHO did a complete horlicks of a job. It isn't rocket science but requires a bit more discipline that slapping in conventional AF. There is no reason at all why a practical owner with care and attention to detail can't do a good job. In fact I would venture that it should be a better job if more care is taken.
    I am currently in the process of final sanding my own hull before applying 2 coats of solventless epoxy prior to coppercoat. Several people have remarked at how thorough I am being on preparation. Most say "thats good enough" when it obviously isn't (including the cowboy professional lot) Yes some of the variation may be in the quality of application but it's not amateur v professional. Sometimes "professional" means getting paid to be sloppy!

I think this is key: control the environment in respect of rain and temperature.

Ours was applied from scratch over the course of a week with boat in temperature controlled hangar.

How many DIY-ers have access to a hangar?

Also a consideration was that in view of some horror stories, I thought I would have more of a comeback if it had been applied by a Coppercoat recognised professional boatyard.

I cannot see those in the trade spending costly extra hours going over every inch with a critical eye, a scraper and a sanding block.
    Well - I don't know how long they took - but the Co that did our bottom did prepare the surface with far more attention to detail than I would've achieved.

Whats the difference between a professional and amateur installation? Mostly experience ...

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast