Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default mercruiser 1.7

The wastegate issue is well know regardless of installation. Rebuilt many of these on various boats including a Sunline. Not heard of coupler failure on these models though

Hi

If you have a working 1.7 diesel mercruiser then I would sell it ASAP unless you can afford 2200+ VAT + install and not have a boat for at least a few weeks.

This is an engine design fault and hence it does not matter what it is installed in.

If you don't believe me, call any mercruiser dealer and they will all tell you the same thing as we have spoken to 5 and ALL confirmed this.

They are ticking time bombs that will hurt any wallet.
    Clyde Outboard Services www.clyde-outboard-services.co.uk

Clyde
    Thanks for your advice.I know v.little about engines as may be clear from my postings. I am learning the hard and expensive way .
    There seems to be general agreement ( with some solid exceptions) to the suggestion that there is a design fault in this D1.7 Diesel.
    I have had 5 breakdowns - on lake whereby I had to strugggle home with paddle - 5 hrs on one occasion .
    What puzzles me is this ,
    The engine has never given any trouble whatsoever . It is the ''add -ons'' which do. When I speak about ''engine '' I mean the internal combustion structure which drives the out drive .
    You could say that 100 % of my probs occurred out side the hull - the stern -drive part. Some of these have been due to my own carelessness- hitting bottom etc.
    But the turbo is an in -between component , if you follow me. I am now learning about esoteric things like waste -gate , and now that I have consulted the manual I'm picking up quite a lot.
    These engines run sars and vans amd dont appear to be quite so problematic . Why so much hassle in boats ? Is it related to the stern-drive mechanism in your opinion ? I mean whats basicaly wrong with the engine and boat . Was the engine /and boat incompatible or was it related to the engine being designed for a van and installed in a boat ?
    In any event after 5 mishaops in 6 years I am putting this down to an unlucky boat, and am getting a Sealine sc 29
    What do you think of these .
    I would be most interested in hearing your views , however regarding what is wrong with the engine l design fault- what does that imply . When cars have a known problem the manufacturers send out TV / Radio msgs recalling the problematic cars.
    Last edited by george unthank; 17-07-13 at 11:33.

Open to all who kindly contributed to my probs ;
    Reply was addressed to 'Clyde....'but applies to all contributors .
    BTW how can I open a ''thread'' on Sealine . I did submit something seeking advice on Sealine 29sc but it has disappeared ..Any suggestions as to where it might have ended up. There doesnt seeem to be a user friendly search engine withine this site for the purpose of finding specific or related problems to the one you have - and for the purpose oof finding a ''lost'' thread.
    I am mew to this form of communication , but I can see it has enormous potential , and can offer v helpful advise regarding a problem experienced or shared ..
    So if Clyde is reading ... for him originally but decided to try to open it up

Clyde
    Thanks for your advice.I know v.little about engines as may be clear from my postings. I am learning the hard and expensive way .
    The engine has never given any trouble whatsoever . It is the ''add -ons'' which do. When I speak about ''engine '' I mean the internal combustion structure which drives the out drive .
    You could say that 100 % of my probs occurred out side the hull - the stern -drive part. Some of these have been due to my own carelessness- hitting bottom etc.
    But the turbo is an in -between component , if you follow me. I am now learning about esoteric things like waste -gate , and now that I have misfortune and unsuccessful venture .
    Last edited by george unthank; 17-07-13 at 11:41.

all probs with boat were sorted
    wrong gear ratio had been installed with a new outdrive
    Last edited by george unthank; 17-07-13 at 11:31. Reason: changed circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by george unthank View Post
    Open to all who kindly contributed to my probs ;
    Reply was addressed to 'Clyde....'but applies to all contributors .
    BTW how can I open a ''thread'' on Sealine . I did submit something seeking advice on Sealine 29sc but it has disappeared ..Any suggestions as to where it might have ended up. There doesnt seeem to be a user friendly search engine withine this site for the purpose of finding specific or related problems to the one you have - and for the purpose oof finding a ''lost'' thread.
    I am mew to this form of communication , but I can see it has enormous potential , and can offer v helpful advise regarding a problem experienced or shared ..
    So if Clyde is reading ... for him originally but decided to try to open it up

Clyde
    There seems to be general agreement ( with some solid exceptions) to the suggestion that there is a design fault in this D1.7 Diesel.
    I have had 5 breakdowns - on lake whereby I had to strugggle home with paddle - 5 hrs on one occasion .
    What puzzles me is this ,
    But the turbo is an in -between component , if you follow me. I am now learning about esoteric things like waste -gate , and now that I have consulted the manual I'm picking up quite a lot.
    But can you offer any suggestion as to why even Fletcher wanted out of this Panther design - They referred to their relationship with Panther as a misfortune and unsuccessful venture .
    These engines run sars and vans amd dont appear to be quite so problematic . Why so much hassle in boats ? Is it related to the stern-drive mechanism in your opinion ? I mean whats basicaly wrong with the engine and boat . Was the engine /and boat incompatible or was it related to the engine being designed for a van and installed in a boat ?
    In any event after 5 mishaops in 6 years I am putting this down to an unlucky boat, and am getting a Sealine sc 29
    What do you think of these .
    I would be most interested in hearing your views , however regarding what is wrong with the engine l design fault- what does that imply . When cars have a known problem the manufacturers send out TV / Radio msgs recalling the problematic cars.
    Why did Fletcher or Mercruiser or Panther do this if they do concede that their relationship (Fletcher / Panther ) was an unhappy one .
    The 1.7 core engine is good but it is let down by poor maintenance and bad installations.

The turbo is fine if looked after, the waste gate failures are caused by the siezure of the actuator link, which lives under a heat branket which gets wet and holds moisture, regular checks in this area prevent further problems try using a nikel based anti-sieze around this area,

The piston fails because of this wastegate. Running at WOT with the wastegate closed causes combustion over pressure and piston lets go!

further 1.7 failures were due to intercoolers failing, because the two anodes fitted on the cooler are never changed.

The boat designers should play a part in making the engine cover better sealing the marine engine is not designed to be wet for long periods!
    "Engine room, 150 revolutions!"

Quote Originally Posted by B58 View Post
    The boat designers should play a part in making the engine cover better sealing the marine engine is not designed to be wet for long periods!
    And in that respect the engine cover on the Fletcher 19GTS is not great, water can easily get in if you are not careful. There are drain holes at the back of the rim of the hatch - if these are not kept clear of debris, the hatch will leak onto the engine.

I don't know if the design is the same on the Panther version.
    Today's Weather Forecast: Scorchio.

FWIW, I don't think there was any deal between Fletcher and Panther. As I understand it, the Fletcher company at that time folded and the company was sold to SBS (Including the name), but certain moulds and tooling to what became Panther 'under the counter' so to speak with various claims and counter claims! I think there was a legal dispute and Panther later folded anyway. The 19' Sportscruiser was made by both (like some other models) simply because it was in existence at the time the business was sold. It seems they had a number inherent 'flaws' like leaking windscreens and early Lewmar hatches, but these seem to be largely 'designed out' by the current SBS ownership who are slowly rebuilding the brand.

You could always ring Fletcher direct and see what help they can offer - some of the original team from Norman Fletcher's days still work for them and there is quite an amassed knowledge - as well, I hear, as quite an Aladdin's Cave of parts and odds and ends...
    Follow my boat ramblings - https://www.facebook.com/RobsBoatDiary/

Quote Originally Posted by rbcoomer View Post
    FWIW, I don't think there was any deal between Fletcher and Panther. As I understand it, the Fletcher company at that time folded and the company was sold to SBS (Including the name), but certain moulds and tooling to what became Panther 'under the counter' so to speak with various claims and counter claims! I think there was a legal dispute and Panther later folded anyway. The 19' Sportscruiser was made by both (like some other models) simply because it was in existence at the time the business was sold. It seems they had a number inherent 'flaws' like leaking windscreens and early Lewmar hatches, but these seem to be largely 'designed out' by the current SBS ownership who are slowly rebuilding the brand.

You could always ring Fletcher direct and see what help they can offer - some of the original team from Norman Fletcher's days still work for them and there is quite an amassed knowledge - as well, I hear, as quite an Aladdin's Cave of parts and odds and ends...
    SBS and Fletcher are one and the same. Fletcher make the boats, and SBS the trailers, but they have the same ownership.

On the 1.7 TDi, i concur with other posters, the critical issue is the lube of the Wastegate actuator, which can seize if subject to salt corrosion. The Alfa 1 sterndrive is a good bit of kit, and more robust than the equivalent Volvo unit, as it is less susseptible to seal failure on the propshaft, therefore less likely to contaminate the oil. There is also a visible oil reservoir in the engine bay, so you can keep an eye on the oil condition. I have dinged my drives a couple of times, resulting in chobbles to the skeg and dinged props. These have been repaired as new by Steel Developments.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    SBS and Fletcher are one and the same. Fletcher make the boats, and SBS the trailers, but they have the same ownership.

On the 1.7 TDi, i concur with other posters, the critical issue is the lube of the Wastegate actuator, which can seize if subject to salt corrosion. The Alfa 1 sterndrive is a good bit of kit, and more robust than the equivalent Volvo unit, as it is less susseptible to seal failure on the propshaft, therefore less likely to contaminate the oil. There is also a visible oil reservoir in the engine bay, so you can keep an eye on the oil condition. I have dinged my drives a couple of times, resulting in chobbles to the skeg and dinged props. These have been repaired as new by Steel Developments.
    I agree the Alpha drive is very robust as long as its looked after, make sure you use high performance gear oil, standard ratio for 1.7 is 2:1 and running a 21" blackmax.

When repairing skegs is not to fit anything made from stainless steel Mercruiser do a replacement skeg P/No: 90185A1
    "Engine room, 150 revolutions!"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast