Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Vancouver 28....what's not to like?

My boat buying dilemma continues...

Nearly bought a Francis 26........nearly bought a sloop rigged Fisher 25.......nearly bought a Ketch rigged Fisher 25..... all in the last four months (including one full survey and one flight to Ireland).

Now then, the fact is that my heart (and Mrs Chox's heart) still says Vancouver 28.

My wife wants comfort, stability, ease of single handing. I want headroom (I'm 6' 2"), long berths and would like a little more speed and pointing ability.

We do not need or want anything bigger and the V28 ticks most boxes.

Could any V28/V28 owners out there offer any comment or advice please?

Many thanks

Chox

Not a V28 owner but have experience of both the Fisher and Vancouver .... I used to sell them in the 1990s. I have a soft spot for the F25 sloop, but not sure if you could find a comfortable berth being tall. V28 3 berth layout should just about fit though. Both easily singlehanded as track well. As you state the Vancouver will sail better but std sails are triple stitched heavy duty type and a lightweight headsail or mps would assist when apparent winds drop below 12/13 knots.

Vancouver 28....what's not to like?

err, the price?
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by chockswahay View Post
    My wife wants comfort, stability, ease of single handing. I want headroom (I'm 6' 2"), long berths and would like a little more speed and pointing ability.

We do not need or want anything bigger and the V28 ticks most boxes.

Could any V28/V28 owners out there offer any comment or advice please?
    Mine is a 1982 V27.

You will get comfort of an older-fashioned sort, as in narrow beam, proper galley and half-admiralty chart table, secure cockpit, etc.

You will get the stability and the running on rails of a long-keel heavy-displacement yacht, but she'll be a bit tender at first, then she'll stiffen and go no further. Having said that, if you reef down you'll go just as fast, and in greater comfort.

I'm 5'11 and sometimes catch my forehead on the open bulkhead beam between the dog-house and the saloon - but this is usually on my first day aboard still standing upright before I remember to be ape-seaman. Apart from that the comfort and stowage is excellent.

In a F3-4 we cruise at about 4.0-5.0 kts, up to 6.0 in a F5 or highter; max ever recorded (with a clean bottom and my new feathering prop) was 8.4 in a F7 with two reefs in, the yankee furled away and just the hanked-on stays'l. Assume 4.5 kts long-term cruising average.

If you want pointing ability, then buy a fin-keel yacht and put up with the broaching, active helming, etc, etc.

Ease of single-handing? That's what its all about!

Two things make life easier: a cruising-chute for lighter winds, and windvane self-steering.

I love my boat, and she looks after me.
    Last edited by Babylon; 02-07-12 at 19:30.
    Plan B...?

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Vancouver 28....what's not to like?

err, the price?
    Not cheap, but then not cheaply-made.

Last time I looked, £25k would get you a good, older V27, maybe a bit more for a younger V28, and an awful lot more for a new V28

Bear in mind that the V28 has the same internal volume as the V27 - its just the stern, and therefore the cockpit, that was stretched another foot.
    Last edited by Babylon; 07-10-12 at 07:46.
    Plan B...?

^ V28 also has an inch extra inch or two in the top sides, apparently because the V27 could ship some water down the side decks in gales. Gives slightly more head room as a result .
    Last edited by E39mad; 02-07-12 at 20:03.

Just to add to the mix, for a fair bit less there is the Colvic Watson 28, she's long keeled; not as tender as the Vancouver; about twice the internal volume; interior and exterior steering; a good sailer and a much, much better sailer than the Fisher 25; but if I'm honest, not as good looking as the Vancouver which I think is a particularly fine looking yacht.

Thanks for the replies so far

V27/28 owners...............how long are the berths please?

Quote Originally Posted by chockswahay View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far

V27/28 owners...............how long are the berths please?

I can't remember exactly, but at least 6'2". You could always make a modification by fitting a trotter box forward under your preferred saloon berth. I tend to sleep on the port side, which forwards has the heads basin and cupboard below. The stbd side has the hanging-locker forward. The actual pot, a Blakes, is on the amidships line. The V28s have a more modern arrangement forward (the 'classic' 3-berth option), with the heads on one side, to sbd I think(?)

I'd be delighted to take you out for a sail on my boat, but I see you're at the other end of of the old empire.
    Plan B...?

May I just call a halt to all this 'V' stuff.

'V' is for Vertue, not Vancouver

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast