Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Vancouver 28....what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    There are plenty about some will show a fair bit of wear as they are all getting on a bit now, particularly the 27s and 32s. So why haven't you bought one?
    Well it's a loooooooong story! We had a 3 year run criusing around in a motorhome from 2013 to 2016 then after a couple of years back in the 'working world' bought another one last year! (when I say motorhome I mean Fiat based panel van conversion)

Anyway, here we are, driving around in the 'van..............and where do we usually end up? by the sea, near harbours etc, always looking out wistfully wishing we were still sailing!

So then! the van has a limited time with us now, we just gotta get another yacht!

And THAT is where the dilemma begins ALL over again! Our last yacht was a 13m Laurent Giles Ketch, safe and secure but too big and too expensive. We like to 'voyage' but this time probably mostly coastal with a few trips to France or Ireland. Since seeing one my missus has always liked the Vancouver 28, and that is the yard stick but which everything will be measured against.

Me? I still like stability over speed (but like the 'odd race'), prefer long integral keel over external fin, sloop instead of ketch blah blah blah

I would like a well built, quality vessel that is not too old. I (we) don't care too much for all the modern types so the choice is somewhat limited.

Yeah, a bit of a dilemma! Hey ho .....
    Last edited by chockswahay; 19-04-19 at 12:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Vancouver 28....what's not to like?

err, the price?
    I have to agree with you, many of the current ones for sale are old and tatty and people are still asking what they 'think' they are worth because they probably paid too much money when they bought them themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by chockswahay View Post
    It's a real dilemma!
    Of your own making. A year after you started this thread I bought my current boat which has turned out imperfect in many ways for my needs. But I have had six years of highly enjoyable sailing meantime and don't regret a moment of it. Fish of the day, or carpe diem as the Romans would have it.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 19-04-19 at 18:25.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

I love my V28 - great boat. I get to go (or stay) sailing when other people run and hide, everything is well made, storage everywhere, good internal layout for use at sea.
    What don't I like? She does what she likes astern which often isn't what you're wanting her to ( I do have a monster prop which probably doesn't help) Light air performance isn't great. I do have a good sail wardrobe to choose from though so I can often keep her going when others give up.
    The prudent see danger and seek refuge.

Well it's a loooooooong story! We had a 3 year run criusing around in a motorhome from 2013 to 2016 then after a couple of years back in the 'working world' bought another one last year! (when I say motorhome I mean Fiat based panel van conversion)

Anyway, here we are, driving around in the 'van..............and where do we usually end up? by the sea, near harbours etc, always looking out wistfully wishing we were still sailing!

So then! the van has a limited time with us now, we just gotta get another yacht!

And THAT is where the dilemma begins ALL over again! Our last yacht was a 13m Laurent Giles Ketch, safe and secure but too big and too expensive. We like to 'voyage' but this time probably mostly coastal with a few trips to France or Ireland. Since seeing one my missus has always liked the Vancouver 28, and that is the yard stick but which everything will be measured against.

Me? I still like stability over speed (but like the 'odd race'), prefer long integral keel over external fin, sloop instead of ketch blah blah blah

I would like a well built, quality vessel that is not too old. I (we) don't care too much for all the modern types so the choice is somewhat limited.

Yeah, a bit of a dilemma! Hey ho .....
    Quote Originally Posted by G12 View Post
    I love my V28 - great boat. I get to go (or stay) sailing when other people run and hide, everything is well made, storage everywhere, good internal layout for use at sea.
    What don't I like? She does what she likes astern which often isn't what you're wanting her to ( I do have a monster prop which probably doesn't help) Light air performance isn't great. I do have a good sail wardrobe to choose from though so I can often keep her going when others give up.
    A V27, 28 or 32 will give you all you want all 3 have enormous storage perfectly adequate for spending long times on or even living on. The one downside is that they by modern fin keel lightweight standards are slow expect to average 4.5 Knt on the 27 /28 and 5+ on the 32 and use the engine in winds much less than 8knts as they will not point effectively and be quite slow, an option is a big lightweight genoa on a Balmar furler and a cruising chute. Don't expect to win anything racing as they don't handicap well and with the cutter rig they will not be fast around the cans but my 34 would see off Contessa 32s, Fulmars and Rustler 36s even with the handicap.
    If you can find one the 4 berth 27 and 28 is a good choice with the forepeak as a conventional double rather than the normal arrangement of pipe cots in the saloon, the loss of stowage is not really a problem ( use the quarter berth)

I sailed many miles in a V274 including Biscay crossings and western Ireland in all weathers the only reason I changed to a V34 ( I was looking for a 32 but the 34 became available at an attractive price) was that I was time poor and wanted more speed.

Handling is something you get used to using prop wash I could turn the 27 and 34 within 1 1/2 boat lengths I did think about a folding prop but was never sure if I would lose the prop wash which would definitely limit manoeuvrability although it would give a 1/2 to 1 knt gain in speed.

My advice is look carefully and go for it but be prepared to spend a little on fettling, they are all long in the tooth most well used and their gear is likely to be old and in need of renewing plus there are likely to be many owner idiosyncrasies and wiring odds and sods.
    Last edited by Fr J Hackett; 20-04-19 at 10:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    A V27, 28 or 32 will give you all you want all 3 have enormous storage perfectly adequate for spending long times on or even living on. The one downside is that they by modern fin keel lightweight standards are slow expect to average 4.5 Knt on the 27 /28 and 5+ on the 32 and use the engine in winds much less than 8knts as they will not point effectively and be quite slow, an option is a big lightweight genoa on a Balmar furler and a cruising chute. Don't expect to win anything racing as they don't handicap well and with the cutter rig they will not be fast around the cans but my 34 would see off Contessa 32s, Fulmars and Rustler 36s even with the handicap.
    If you can find one the 4 berth 27 and 28 is a good choice with the forepeak as a conventional double rather than the normal arrangement of pipe cots in the saloon, the loss of stowage is not really a problem ( use the quarter berth)

I sailed many miles in a V274 including Biscay crossings and western Ireland in all weathers the only reason I changed to a V34 ( I was looking for a 32 but the 34 became available at an attractive price) was that I was time poor and wanted more speed.

Handling is something you get used to using prop wash I could turn the 27 and 34 within 1 1/2 boat lengths I did think about a folding prop but was never sure if I would lose the prop wash which would definitely limit manoeuvrability although it would give a 1/2 to 1 knt gain in speed.

My advice is look carefully and go for it but be prepared to spend a little on fettling, they are all long in the tooth most well used and their gear is likely to be old and in need of renewing plus there are likely to be many owner idiosyncrasies and wiring odds and sods.
    Thank you very much for your thoughts, (I quite fancy a 34)

Well it has taken 7 years! We finally take delivery of our new (to us) V28 next week

Thank you every one for your input (in all forms)

Cheers

Well it has taken 7 years! We finally take delivery of our new (to us) V28 next week

Thank you every one for your input (in all forms)

Cheers
    Excellent news - which one have you bought?

A good choice you shouldn't be disappointed.

Having read through these postings I'm surprised you weren't put off buying one! Let's hope yours hasn't got the problems listed. Even if it has you're probably still all starry-eyed about it !!! How do they compare to Rustlers I wonder? I used to fancy both Vancouver 28 and 32 (?) and anything by Rustler. Bought neither but did own some lovely, and some not so lovely, sailing boats along the way - all except one long keelers!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast