Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Don't buy Erbauer tools from Screwfix!!

Warning to anyone who is thinking of buying the Erbauer brand of tools, usually sold by Screwfix.
    There are NO spare parts available for them if you break whatever you buy!!
    You may be lucky to get a replacement battery via Screwfix if the tool you have is less than 2 years old - anything older, forget it.
    We have a 18V Combi drill at work, bought about 16 mths ago and one of the side casings is cracked. The drill itself works fine, but the crack is right where the soft part of your hand is (between the thumb and forefinger) and regularly gets caught in the crack!! A bit painful and leads to skin pinch marks if you use the drill a lot.
    So I rang the number given in the manual and was advised that there were no parts available. The "helpful" (NOT!) customer service advisor said that nothing is available to carry out repairs, even they cannot get parts?? When quizzed about the manufacturer, I was told that they are made in China by a company called Positec Power Tool Corps, but not to bother contacting the manufacturer as they wouldn't respond due to the lanquage difference!!
    I then spoke to Screwfix Customer Services and got pretty much the same answer, but was told to contact a company caled GR8 spares who may have some bits, needless to say they do not carry anything other than a few old type batteries.

So the moral is, you get what you pay for. I have a fully working drill which is pretty much no good now (can't glue the crack as it's too flexible at the point where it is) and the plastic seems very different to other plastics used on the better quality drills.
    Pay the extra for better quality tools (Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, etc) and you stand a chance of getting spare parts and service if you need it!

galadriel is offline Registered User

The moral of the story is buy cheap, buy twice.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

Reverend Ludd is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
    The moral of the story is buy cheap, buy twice.
    Buy a roll of gaffa tape.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

PCUK is offline Registered User

Very few tools have worthwhile spares back-up in this throw away society. Rupes highly expensive sander for example!
    We have an Erbaur breaker that cost a fraction of comparable machines and it has earned it's keep many times over ripping up concrete on various projects.
    Also a hand planer, large and small grinders, palm sander and heavy duty router.
    We get through several power tools of all makes in a year and we now buy Erbaur as our tool of choice.
    Very good throw-away tools at excellent prices.

Re drill: As already said, Just tape it up for goodness sake!

By the way Reverend, I'd rather make the church history.
    Last edited by PCUK; 06-07-12 at 08:25.

i've got a couple of erbauer bits of kit. find them very good, better spec than enything else in the same price bracket and i've not had any problems with them breaking. No tools are what they used to be. 18 months use 'in work' not sure what you do sounds reasonable. How did the plate break in the first place? fatigue of materials or drop?

srah1953 is offline Registered User

Try Sugru to make the grip more pleasant. see sugru.com for details. As they usually say I have no commercial relationship

Buy a dead one spares and repair off ebay and canibalise it.

Makita drill screwfix 199, you can buy a lot of cheap drills, before your Mak is stolen. I have a Nielsen drill, the first one cost 20, it's replacement cost 39, but it is one of the best cordless drills I have owned. A replacement De Walt battery is 69, and these drills are only as good as the battery
    I'm more Teddybear than Werebear
    Beware the Grizzlybear

Reverend Ludd is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post

By the way Reverend, I'd rather make the church history.
    You are not going to get an argument from me about that.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

pvb is offline Registered User

I think it depends what you want a tool for, and how much use it's going to get. I've got an Erbauer electric breaker drill, which was cheap and cheerful and has done lots of work around the home. Bought originally as an alternative to hiring a "proper" breaker drill, it's paid for itself several times over. But if I were needing one for daily business use, I'd buy something better.

Converging is offline Registered User

We use Erauber and they are very good.

We bought bosche and yes, we could get parts, but hell they were expensive

Any battery drill will only last so long and buying new batteries isnt practical when you can buy a new unit.

So buy cheap buy twice is nonsence for this product