Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ChattingLil is offline Registered User

Default got stuck in the mud

Last edited by ChattingLil; 30-07-12 at 00:14. Reason: wanted to delete as was just venting and ranting.
    A love of sailing does not necessarily equate to a love of boat maintenance

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ChattingLil View Post

cor it was a bit rubbish. Got well and truly wedged in.

Sometimes I just cannot see the good days outweighing the bad days and though I love sailing I am increasingly feeling less and less arsed about poxy boat ownership.
    http://flic.kr/p/cFCA1C
    Yours depressed
    A.Rubbish.Skipper.

All part of the rich tapestry of East Coast sailing - chance to put the kettle on and contemplate the scenery (or if its raining too hard to be outside, one's navel)!

Nothing to do with being a rubbish skipper. (At least that's what I tell my crew!). If you were really a rubbish skipper you'd keep your boat in a deep water marina, and never go anywhere with less than 4 metres marked on the chart.

I know it's difficult at the time to remember the Buddhist(?) saying 'be here now' (or if you do, not think that Buddha obviously never got neaped), but you (and any guests) will probably remember the event with amusement and affection in years to come.

And just think, now you know much better where the deep water is!

Don't despair too long. Happy sailing next time.
    Last edited by LittleSister; 29-12-12 at 21:11.
    Samphire Owners Association
    http://www.samphireyachts.org

Racing on the Crouch people said "if you've never been aground then you're not trying hard enough!" still applies to cruising, we're sailing the east coast not the Solent!

Cantata is online now Registered User

Excellent sentiments in this thread.
    A couple of years ago we thoroughly explored the Roach and its tributaries with a certain Mr.Jarman on board. Spent most of the two days aground, really, sides aching from laughing. I still grin at the thought of the expressions on locals' faces when we showed up at Rochford ridiculously early on the tide having dribbled along a gutway barely wider than the boat. Great fun and very educational.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

willfinch36 is offline Registered User

I was aground also this week... ( on purpose though )

Quote Originally Posted by willfinch36 View Post
    I was aground also this week... ( on purpose though )

Ah i see who you are now
    I may be wrong but not always

maybe I should clarify what I am moaning about!

It wasn't really the running aground that bothered, but what I was trying to do when I did it.

In efforts to be more frugal, I haven't had the boat lifted this year and was determined to make do with a couple of scrub offs and earliier this year Marc and I successfully did so on the beach near Rice and Cole. I have now moved to a swinging mooring at Brandy Hole and one of the reasons I chose there is because they have what seems to be a very nice concrete hard with water and power. So, before our foray up to Walton next week, I wanted to get on the posts and do a couple of little jobs (pressure wash, scrub and AF prop, do some gardening, use power to cut hole to fit inspection hatch).

Thought: don't want to go up there bang on high water, so will go 45mins after but in fact went 60 mins after which I thought would be ok. It obviously wasn't and got stuck in the creek halfway. ho hum. Wait it out. Not disastrous, had food and company on board, can't use loo, but not a big problem. Even managed to get the dinghy alongside close enough to scrub the prop - even though it was half in the mud.

However, we were wedged firmly in the mud and there was not as big a tide in the evening as there had been earlier and we couldn't get off until v. near HW again which was well gone 9pm with the light fading. Even then the channel is so narrow and my twin keels kept jamming on one side or the other and every time I got loose on one side, the other side dug in. Eventually, with panic rising as the tide was going slack, a couple of kindly locals took a line each side of the channel and heaved us out.

Panic assisted by said locals informing us that the car park we'd parked in is for yacht club members only and locked at 6pm. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Eventually got back on the mooring at 9.45pm. Dark. Quickly offloaded and a quick scoot back to the pontoon (thank god for the loan of Laurin's outboard). and - praise the Lord - car park lock broken and tied with string only. Away by 10.10.

My point is that this year the weather, crew, working hours and finance situation has been so dire that the bad days are just outweighing the good and most of the scrapes and disasters I get into are because I flipping own this money pit and really I would be better of chartering with no responsibility for the sodding thing.

I guess I sometimes just think that I am not rich enough in time or money to be a boat owner and the lack of these things just makes everything so much harder.

And I hate the fact that I've become a bit of a pampered princess with the step aboard pontoon mooring and the toil of having to dhingy out to the boat is a PITA. At least on a pontoon I can use the boat as a holiday home!

bleueghghg!

Ok, moan over.

willfinch36 is offline Registered User

At least you made it further than this poor bloke, who I towed off the sandback opposite Pin Mill, he had come all the way from Pin Mill...

I don't know why I can't paste the photo, but have now the link public.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisa_pini/7668406236/

Quote Originally Posted by ChattingLil View Post
    I don't know why I can't paste the photo, but have now the link public.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisa_pini/7668406236/
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!