Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi guys, thanks all your suggestions.

its a ba im doing at drama school so its not uni. Depsite this I still need to get a student loan to go.

Mummy and daddy will certainly not pay 7k a year so mariners are definatly out of the question.

I have accomodation untill april and im paying 150 a week for this (leaving me no money for food) this is why im trying to find a cheap way of living.

I was looking at as you say 'tatty' boats such as these below. My course is in South London but if living on this tatty boat saved me alot of s commuting could be an option.

Are there any canals close to central london? I know one runs through kings x and camden.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1508907455...=p5197.c0.m619

The boat above is bidding at 51 pounds currently. Obviously no engine no nothing would need toliet cooker heating ect. All things that need thinking about. I'm trying to figure out if after heating,toliet,water,cooker,mooring,maintainence.. . Would it be cheaper than 120,150 a week.

Heres some other tatty boats I was looking at.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1508921287...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1408420226...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008146793...84.m1423.l2649

If I could save money I would be spending on rent I guess I could have a grand to pay.

A friend of mine is studying in Bristol and has solved her accommodation issues this way. She bought a beautiful 30(?) foot steel yacht for 3000, took it away to another yard for some work, did some sailing over the summer and will live on it next term with one of her mates.

The slight difference is that she has been a liveaboard for, pretty much, all her life. Bargains can be had, but you should chose boat type carefully as some, including deep keeled yachts are not particularly suitable for rivers.

V1701 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Forbsie View Post
    A friend of mine is studying in Bristol and has solved her accommodation issues this way. She bought a beautiful 30(?) foot steel yacht for 3000, took it away to another yard for some work, did some sailing over the summer and will live on it next term with one of her mates.

The slight difference is that she has been a liveaboard for, pretty much, all her life. Bargains can be had, but you should chose boat type carefully as some, including deep keeled yachts are not particularly suitable for rivers.
    And you can moor in the heart of Bristol for a lot less than the cost of rent/c tax/water rates etc...

ADLS is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    Hi,

I think that maybe I am being abit silly even thinking of this so people tell me if you agreee. But, I though its at least worth asking...

Thanks

Tomm
    I lived aboard my boat for 2 years but was very lucky to have a free mooring, landside toilet, water, off street parking and use of a swimming pool which I maintained. electric was through a seperate meter. All part of the boat deal. Showers were taken at work.

Used the boat when ever possible even in the winter months if only to visit The Harvester Pub for sunday lunch so batteries were topped up.
    Winter was dodgy with ice forming on the decks and great care was needed boarding at night especialy when the red boards were out on high fast water, it was a bit pirate like walking the plank.
    The cost of living aboard well for me it was low as I needed to licence and insure the boat anyway, Convenience wise great I was only 7 miles away from work near shops, pubs and takeaways. Did cook onboard but mainly on days off.

Each day I would do at least one maintenance job, inside on wet days outside on fine ones. As it was an old wooden boat there was always something to do.

I cant help you with cost as it was over 15 years ago and my deal was out of the ordinary. But take it from me after moving off that mooring bill started to rise and maintenance was not done daily so each w/e visit turned into work not pleasure.

Would I do again well no. Boats are holes in the water through which you pour money. Having sold mine I can tell you there's no greater relief.

Good luck with your studies, get a bedsit to have time for them.

regards Byard
    Former owner of Lazy Days
    A Dunkirk Little Ship

Thank you for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    Hi,

I think that maybe I am being abit silly even thinking of this so people tell me if you agreee. But, I though its at least worth asking...

I start Drama school In London in september and have accomodation untill April. It was thinking if it would be fesable to live on a boat in the thames. I have very little money to spend but if I could get a reasonably priced plastic boat and live on that to avoid exstorshinate rent. I abosloutely love boating of any kind so if this could work it would be a dream... I'm being unrealistic?

How much would long term mooring fees ect. I would not mind living in the most basic's of boats if it worked out cheaper than renting.

As I say, tell me if im being stupid. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Tomm
    Well it seems a bit unrealistic of course!! living on boat might attract someone's attention towards you but will not help rather than creating buzz and curiosity among people. Though you have pointed out your short of money..try to find out inexpensive rentals.. it would be best for you..