Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Back Home safe and sound

Hope everybody else is, too.

Left Cherbourg 0605, tied up in Lymington 1620.

After a couple of hours motoring, we started sailing when the wind picked up and even hoisted the spinnaker. As the wind continued to rise, it got a bit too hairy for just two of us on board, so we managed to get it down without too much drama. Clocked a max speed of 9.65kts though

A great crossing, thanks James for your help and company.

Finally, many thanks to Roger, Fergus and co for their organisation, and also to Colin for the entertaining raffle. Was I the only one to win back the prize I had donated ??

I think we got to the Poole entrance about 16.30 , had the spinnaker up part of the way, we started to catch you up, but just couldn't recover from the false start . Great to see everyone, a fantastic weekend again. Many thanks

Left at 0600, picked up my mooring in Portland at 1600.
    We saw something on the way back I have never seen before, when I get time and acquire the knowledge I will post a picture.
    Great weekend

Quote Originally Posted by moodyNick View Post
    Clocked a max speed of 9.65kts though
    ''Logs for through te water speed shouldnt be taken too seriouisly, IMO.''

Ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Bav34 View Post
    ''Logs for through te water speed shouldnt be taken too seriouisly, IMO.''

Ring a bell?
    Yes, and I agree with it !!

Yes; a great crossing back; perfect conditions and excellent company.

I echo Nick's thanks to Fergus and Roger for making the arrangements. I don't know what Fergus said to the Yacht Club, but the food was a lot better this year

Good to see some old faces (very old, in most cases) and to meet some new ones. Thanks above all to Nick, for allowing The Great Satan - in the form of a moboist - onto his saily boat for the weekend.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    I think we got to the Poole entrance about 16.30 , had the spinnaker up part of the way, we started to catch you up, but just couldn't recover from the false start . Great to see everyone, a fantastic weekend again. Many thanks
    The bewildered expression on your face, as you looked out of the companionway to see us departing, is a memory that I will cherish for years.

Great raffle.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

We eventually made it back to the Hamble at 1900 hrs BST having left at 0520 EST! That was a heck of a long crossing and one thinks maybe we should have stopped in Portsmouth on Sunday night.

An eventful crossing, though! Very calm to begin with, but then the wind picked up and we decided to crack out the cruising chute. Wind kept building and gusting so down came cruising chute and up went regular sails. Wind kept building so we ended up dropping the main and just got pulled along at a fair lick by the genoa.

Just a pity about the nasty waves that also built up. Galley Wench didn't appreciate those one bit!

I didn't have any ill feelings towards Pinnacle as he passed us on the entrance to the Solent having left 3 hours after us. No, I wasn't bitter at all! :P

All in all, a very enjoyable weekend with a lot of boxes ticked in our sailing book. A big thank you to all the various people who organised the weekend. It was fantastic to meet all the people that came along for the French sun!

We left at 05.15 BST and just as watch settled into a routine and I decided to take a nap in the cockpit to be rudely woken by crew saying ship is calling our name followed by lots of French.

Going slowly East West across the perfect course of Cherbourg to Needles and then reversing direction effectively blocking our route was a Grey ship. Immediately thought we were going to be boarded and our papers checked (Had Toad arranged this I wondered?).

I instructed proceed slowly. By now they were flashing us with their signal lamp - who knows morse code?? Had an interesting array of ariels etc and some balls hoisted. Slowly dawned on my sleeping and tired mind that the balls and diamond resembled something that I vaguely remembered from the flip cards I studied for my YM exam and practical. A minesweeper at work. Now I know that Toad refused to pay the £100 wager to charity but sowing mines across our course home is going a bit far I thought.

At this time a French sailor appeared on the bridge wing pointing to his balls (those hoisted aloft!) and I instructed a 90 deg change of course.

Seemed to be very happy with that!

Wind slowly increased and we made needles at 14.30 often seeing 9kts and we don't have a spinnaker.

Going up the Solent noticed another grey boat shadowing us so we quickly dropped the French courtsey flag and I wondered whether my stern locker 8 man liferaft had been stolen and replaced by stowaways when I saw it was a UK Border Agency boat. They did not stop us but were happily burning taxpapers money cruising up and down the Solent doing their righteous duty of showing the flag to dissuade unemployed illegal immigrants from that foreign country the Isle of Wight trying to get to the English mainland.

Finally berthed at Hamble Point at 16.45.

Thanks to everyone who turned up and sorry to those that missed it. I have received a few PM explaining why from an unfortunate death/funeral to dirty fuel, broken sea water strainer to a crew mutiny!!

Look forward to next year but hoping for another sunny September day for the sixth year in a row may be a bit much!!

Quote Originally Posted by jhr View Post
    The bewildered expression on your face, as you looked out of the companionway to see us departing, is a memory that I will cherish for years.

Great raffle.
    As he was wearing only underpants at the time, I had deliberately forgotten about that ..... and you want to cherish it for years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast