Default Volvo Penta TAMD Oil switch

The Oil pressure warning switch on one of my TAMD60C is not working.

Due to its location on the side of the engine block and surrounded by other metalwork, and with highly restricted access, removing this is simply not possible.

However, I have noted the oil filter mounting block where the oil gauge transducer is mounted has several blank plugs - does anyone know if I can simply fit a replacement switch to one of these and still pick up live engine oil pressure ?

Otherwise I can just about remove the transducer and make an adaptor, but want to keep it simple, and space where the transducer sits is also severely limited.

Thanks

tinkicker0 is offline Registered User

Not up on the marine variants as I deal purely with automotive diesels so Volvopaul will be the definitive answer but...Those "blank plugs" on the D6 usually have the oil pressure regulator and bypass valves sat under them....on automotive variants anyways.
    Avatar = Bailey - Gone but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    The Oil pressure warning switch on one of my TAMD60C is not working.

Due to its location on the side of the engine block and surrounded by other metalwork, and with highly restricted access, removing this is simply not possible.

However, I have noted the oil filter mounting block where the oil gauge transducer is mounted has several blank plugs - does anyone know if I can simply fit a replacement switch to one of these and still pick up live engine oil pressure ?

Otherwise I can just about remove the transducer and make an adaptor, but want to keep it simple, and space where the transducer sits is also severely limited.

Thanks
    Just seen you go by, can you put a t piece in the thread where the oil gauge sender fits then re route the wiring to it, before you do all that you need to short out the wire to the black insulated earth cable to make sure it's the switch.

I know where the switch is, maybe it's just the wire terminal that's corroded.

I hope you didn't see me come back in as I made a right c**k of it trying to back into a ferociously ebbing tide !!!

Thanks for your advice.

I managed to get the wires off the pressure switch and I connected each to a fly lead from the battery neg and the single lead made the warning light illuminate. I then conencted the second tag to the neg fly, but nothing. The switch terminal tags are clean, so I have deduced it is only the switch itself left to be the problem.

The vast majority of car oil pressure switches are single tag with casting Neg return, but I have found a suitable switch at RS, and EBAY has several adaptors listed, I just need to check I have the room, but even unscrewing the gauge sensor will be tricky, and I might make up a small feed pipe so I can mount them somewhere I can at least access them.

Any idea what thread VP use on the Gauge transducer ?

Two sep senders one for gauge other for light alarm But you can get a three pole VDO with alarm though
    Watch out if you have dual station fly bridge panels the gauge sender is different and is marked
    Thread may be sae .
    If engine is isolated return fitting earth return earth to block may not be a good idea!
    Volvo did not spend the extra to have the isolated block out of the goodness of there little green hearts!
    Last edited by scottie; 16-09-12 at 19:55. Reason: Added info

The parts manual lists only one Pressure switch, and as this simply illuminates the light on both upper and lower stations I am happy I only need a single pole two terminal switch (I won't be using the block for neg return), I have also checked this detail on the wiring diagrams, and the helm stations are effectively paralleled.

I am aware the transducer characteristic needs to be different if it is driving two gauges, but this bit is OK, and the gauge is only on the lower helm panel.

Don't know if it's the same switch but I replaced a faulty (2 wire) oil pressure switch on my VP MD31A with one from a Mini (1 wire).
    Worked a treat ever since, cost me about 3 I think.

Thread is imperial, UNF I think from memory.

In was working on a 60 b today, I'd say if you removed oil pressure gauge sender then screwed t piece in then screwed new switch and old sender in you would be fine, I see how bad it must be, this was an old fair line 40 which has loads of space between engine and tank.

Thanks Paul. The T36 only has a few inches outboard of the stbd engine to get to, and you simply cannot see the switch even with a mirror. I just about managed to get the wires off the other day then spent 20 minutes getting them back on again !

Anyway I have ordered a sutiable two terminal switch from RS today, so when it arrives I will suss the T piece / adaptor I need, and will likely knock this out on the lathe myself.

Have you tried the barge for replacing your missing prop, they have a container full of them. Your outboard looks about the same size as mine so feel free to use this for reference. PM me for precise location, but you can see it from the end of your pontoon.