Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CreakyDecks View Post
    Not the case at all. It is now done and I can start playing with it.
    My point is that what should have been a trivially easy exercise (setting up wifi) was turned into something much harder than it should have been by people more interested in demonstrating their own vast knowledge than solving my problem.
    Not quite. A few minutes research would have got you a wifi card which works with no fiddling. You can't really expect to get a computer with no operating system up and running without having to do a little leg work. There are plenty "how to's" on the web and youtube to help set up whatever you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreades View Post
    Well worth reading is the http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriph..._Wifi_Adapters page, worth reading to check all sorts of add-ons before you buy. Just so when you go shopping on Amazon, eBay etc for a extended-range WiFi antenna, you get something that will work.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=raspberry+pi+wifi+usb+

One of the OPs mentioned openCPN. I can confirm you can compile and run this, zyGrib, xtides on tthe Pi.

Boreades is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    One of the OPs mentioned openCPN. I can confirm you can compile and run this, zyGrib, xtides on tthe Pi.
    Which of the OpenCPN downloads have you used?
    http://opencpn.org/ocpn/download
    Four candles?

The source code download. There are no current binary downloads.

I could try to make one when Talk Talk fix my broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    The source code download. There are no current binary downloads.

I could try to make one when Talk Talk fix my broadband.
    Thanks, I have got as far as the long list of OpenCPN dependencies that have to be installed first. Did that last night. I will try the OpenCPN source download tonight, if I don't get too sidetracked by trying the WiFi dongle.

Good luck with TalkTalk. We've been using them for voice and line rental for four years, but their "Customer Service" still thnks BT is providing the line rental, so TT can't supply broadband. Just about to move to an Eclipse Internet Home Bundle.
    Last edited by Boreades; 02-10-12 at 12:52. Reason: extra
    Four candles?

I've got my R Pi working, but I wanted to drive the GPIO from BASIC. I wanted to POKE the relevant code words into the appropriate registers, but quickly discovered that bwBASIC doesn't have PEEK and POKE. Is there a BASIC that will run under LINUX which will enable me to load a 32 bit register having a 32 bit Address?

Quote Originally Posted by Eygthene View Post
    I've got my R Pi working, but I wanted to drive the GPIO from BASIC. I wanted to POKE the relevant code words into the appropriate registers, but quickly discovered that bwBASIC doesn't have PEEK and POKE. Is there a BASIC that will run under LINUX which will enable me to load a 32 bit register having a 32 bit Address?
    Here's a discussion on various languages using the GPIO WiringPi library
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...p?f=33&t=18654

Looks like C and Python are the favourites though :-(

https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/wiringpi/
    Four candles?

Perhaps Brandy Basic but other languages might be more suitable

Quote Originally Posted by Eygthene View Post
    You need to export the gpio pins, then they exist in the file system down here:

/sys/devices/virtual/gpio

eg for pin22

$ echo 22 > /sys/class/gpio/export

then you have

/sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio22 for pin 22 etc:

so you can do

% cat /sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio22/value

% echo out > /sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio22/direction

% echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio22/value

etc and stuff like that

so you can control the gpio from basic just open the file /sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio22 and read and write to your hearts content. If that isn't fast enough you'll need to do it from C++ or C

it's just standard linux stuff. I don't have a pi here to test it but the gpio will be down there somewhere in your /sys

you will need to be root

hope that helps
    Take whatever helps. Even if it is a taxi.

Boreades, 2nd apprentice, Ed Beynon.

Many thanks, all, for your kind help. It doesn't look too hopeful for my simple BASIC ambitions at present. Brandy BASIC may be a possibility which I am investigating.

I know that it would be best to learn Linux or C, but at my age I am still hoping to avoid having to do that. Thanks for your help with the exporting suggestions Ed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast