Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Default Re: In all but name !!!

Yeah - I think "Day Skipper" and "Yachtmaster" differentiate themsleves very well by name, and portray themselves as what they are. I certainly would be embarrassed at my own pretentiousness if I were to call myself a Yachtmaster, given my current qualifications. Equally if I had earned, through hard graft, the qualification of yachtmaster, I would be proud to use it.

<hr width=100% size=1>Madoc Yacht Club
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk>http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk</A>

Dave
    Yes I agree I too would be proud to call myself even Day skipper. Maybe one day I will have the time and inclination to do a course. The point of my post was to find out if people really were that shallow as the article suggests and were not actually going in for courses purely because of the title. Seems to me that anyone who takes that stance is doing the course for some kind of "spot me" reason rather than for the qualification itself.Now I for one do not think this is true, some replys seem to indicate otherwise but I feel they are in the minority. I really dont see what the hell is wrong with the title "day skipper" anyway.

Regards - Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>Play the best game you can with the cards you've been dealt ! ! !

Ah! that's the problem, you are so entrenched in the 'system' you can't see the mess it is. I have come in with fresh eyes and have seen it is a load of twaddle that has no logic to it. As I have said, there needs to be legislation and rules, I appreciate that and I have learnt these, but it doesn't mean it makes any sense. As an analytical person of reasonable intelligence I can assure you that it makes no sense, although if you learn it it does it's job. BUT how many people are put off learning such nonsense, when there could be much easier and more modern recognisable signals to do the same job e.g. flashing neon signs saying 'At Anchor' [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. Too late though, we are in a mess so deep we can't get out.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

whisper is offline Registered User

Hear Hear !!
    I managed, by a lot of bribery, to get the "Coastal Skipper" ticket. My reasons for doing the RYA courses were:- a) To learn more about the theoretical & practical sides of boating.
    b) To be able to "flash" my "qualifications" in order to charter both here and abroad.
    c) To fill in boring Winter evenings and have some practical fun.

I am under no illusions about my abilities and so wouldn't admit to these paper qualifications unless specifically asked. To be honest I don't think the syllabus and practical are very onerous, but learning the contents do give you a good basis from which to start on the never ending Experience Curve.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy your are an inexperienced seaman and posting complete cr*p again. May I respectfully advise that you refraining post such rubbish !! That way fellow posters will only think THINK you're an IDIOT!!!! (Sorry Kim pull it if you like but it had to be said ) IMHO of course------ but probably endorsed by many other posters !!

<hr width=100% size=1>
    Now Promoted to Captain Clyst. My thanks are extended to Lazy Kipper .

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<hr width=100% size=1>Alex

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mad-als.com>http://www.mad-als.com</A>

first back to the nomenclature.. you dont have to do much of this yachtmaster theory to know why its called that, and maybe some of H1 frustration is that so much of the course is for yachties.I could well imagine that more "traditional" navigation is needed if you cant rely on your trusty V8 (no diesels ,perlease!) to help you out, and have to rely on wind and tide. Are you seriously suggesting that every single boat on the water and every skipper should learn a new system of visual and aural signals because you think the present one is nonsensical? I cant recall any course I ve ever done that was 100pct what suited me;its always a case of taking what value you can. I totally agree that the YM theory needs updating, especially for mobos, but I m certainly alot more knowledgeable(and safer) now. I think one of the great values of all this traditional work (or maybe,the tutor) is understanding that the successful reliance on an electronic device depends on an understanding of the navagation fundamentals behind, and that is not going to be in the chartplotter manual. Sure, this could also be done on a pc using electronic charts, rather than a paper one and a pencil. But how can you run the course omiting paper chartwork? How many people have charts and not a chartplotter? 90 pct maybe?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ok, some of the theory is aimed purely at yotties, but a lot is of practical consideration to powerboaters as well, not everyone has the latest colour plotters on their boats, and sometimes it easier to refer to a chart than using the chartplotter,as for lights, shapes etc, these are internationally recognised, which allows you to safely navigate foreign waters or for foreigners to navigate safely here. Having modern flashing neons would IMHO not only look stupid, but would be dangerous, as would have no meaning elsewhere, or to foreign sailors.

<hr width=100% size=1>

If you read my posts you will see that I understand we are stuck with the system we have due to the practicalities of changing it, that doesn't mean however that it cannot be discussed. The neon signs was a bit tongue in cheek and an attempt to bring a bit of humour into the debate. As for the charts used in the lessons, no problem with that, i just feel that some if not more input should be put into electronic navigation, as we have very little. I covered this by stating that perhaps an electronic navigation course should be made available by the RYA, one which I would be more than willing to attend as I feel there is far more to my plotter than I am aware of. As for paper charts, having used a plotter it is laughable to go back to that way of navigating, unless in an emergency, even though I have now been trained to use them. It is a bit like now going back to a manual typewriter and carbon paper. I understand some or perhaps more people do not have plotters, but I am sure that a lot of incidents are the cause of the lack of plotters. Until more of these safer electronic navigating aids are available at affordable prices I guess we will have to endure the errors and accidents caused by those who are unfortunate enough not to have them and do not know how to read a chart. At least a plotter shows you where you are on an electronic chart, that has to be better than being untrained and faced with a paper chart and not knowing where you are [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

hlb is offline Registered User

Well. I dont tell anyone I'm a day skipper. But then I dont pretend to be a yacht master either. About 100000000000 miles latter.....[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn