Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing Sikaflex

Does anyone know if there is a solvent that can be used to remove Sikaflex from GRP? I need to remove quite a lage area of it from moulded non slip.

GrahamHR is offline Registered User

The most effective one I'm aware of is N-dimethylformamide (DMF) which was ( still is ?) used in the printing industry . It causes the PU to become a weak gel like material, but I don't know what effect it would have on the GRP resins !

DMF is a horrible material though, a liver toxin, it's use requires full face respirator and skin protection. I doubt it's available for non-industrial users. It has the effect of causing alcohol intolerance as well !

Many mould/ tool cleaners sold for cleaning PU/ release agent residues off tools used in PU processing contain N-methyl pyrrolidone (NMP), but again, it's not widely available and requires similar personal protective measures as DMF. It doesn't smell as bad though !

Acetone maybe? never tried it on sikaflex though

Skatt is offline Registered User

john_morris_uk is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Skatt View Post
    I will put a pound to a penny that stuff won't dissolve Sikaflex when its gone off!
    Wishing things away is not effective.

john_morris_uk is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by red beard View Post
    Acetone maybe? never tried it on sikaflex though
    Doesn't work - guess how I know?
    Wishing things away is not effective.

oldsaltoz is online now Registered User

I have always used a wooden chisel, cut from scrap timber about 30 degrees, the timber is hard enough to abrade the sealant but soft enough to not damage the gel coat.

Finish with Acetone on cheese cloth.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

prv is offline Registered User

On smooth GRP a sharp blade can skim it off. But I wouldn't fancy having to remove it from non-slip like you do.

Pete

Martin_J is offline Registered User

Are you sure that it is Sikaflex that you need to remove.. or is it just a silicone (or other) based sealant?

The Sikaflex 291 datasheet http://gbr.sika.com/dms/getdocument...._uk_v01-07.pdf unfortunately says 'Once cured, the material can only be removed mechanically.'

Perhaps it is a different Sikaflex in which case perhaps the datasheet specific to that type will help... Most Sikaflex sheets unfortunately say the same.

http://gbr.sika.com/en/solutions_pro...aflex_pds.html

Thanks for the suggestions. It is sikaflex and I am not sure how to get hold of the industrial solvents mentioned in greece. I will ask some greek friends and hope that the initials are universal. The wood chisel sounds interesting because the non slip is in a square pattern so it may be possible to work in two directions with a grooved piece of wood.