Page 1 of 52 1234561151 ... LastLast

Default The Truth About Sailing On The Algarve

Currently there are 3 threads doing the rounds regarding The Algarve.

All cover similar ground & are largely given over to whinges.

Unfortunately, all 3 lack factual information so to try to get the wheels back on this wagon, this thread invites all with actual experiences to share them.

Then subsequent discussions have some basis.

Questions to start the ball rolling:

If you are in an Algarve marina is it fuller than last year & are the prices the same (or higher/lower)?

Are the anchorages & particularly the Guadiana fuller than previous years?

Is the cost of living increasing & how does it compare with ‘back home’?

Is the continuing civil unrest having any impact on you?

And for the sake of completeness; how you had any dealings (good or bad) with the Portuguese Maritime Authorities in the last 12 months? (only factual first had experiences on this one please).
    Last edited by nortada; 30-04-15 at 22:27.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

I know there are many live aboards in Lagos and people return year after year so it has something going for it.
    We were there for one night about a month ago and found it the most expensive marina we had been in all year. Even Vilamoura was much cheaper.

Guadiana seems much as it was when I was here in November last year. We're all enjoying the social scene and jam-sessions in the Riverside,in between chasing unattended boats that have dragged/broken adrift.
    VR do Sta .Antonio marina is chock -a-block,Ayamonte half-empty.
    Rumour(N.B RUMOUR) has it that there will be a change in pricing policy in Junta marinas in the New year----hopefully this will mean a reversion to previous dscounted rates for long term berths. I wouldn't bet on it,though!
    And yes ,I had contact twice with authority LAST year,boarded twice by Portuguese Navy ---courtesy itself,apart from telling me to pay A WHOLE TWO EUROS light dues. Renewed this year at VR.----BOTH certificates state for 1 year,not six months.
    Last edited by Ludd; 19-11-12 at 19:39. Reason: forgetfulness
    If you think it's tough at the top---try being at the bottom!

I think it's been quieter this year from Lagos right down to Gib & Smir. Only Vila Real and El Rompido seemed pretty full, maybe Spanish Junta ones quiet because, as Ludd mentions, the long stay discounts were cancelled. Guadiana was quieter than usual in July. Spent a couple of nights in Algarve marinas (Lagos & Portimao) as visitors were paying, usually avoid them due to cost - around 45 euro per night for <12m whereas Spanish just down the coast only charge 29 euro.

We were boarded at Alcoutim by joint Portuguese and Spanish customs, passport and SSR check only. That's the first check we've had in 6 years in Portugal.

Economy not good for the natives with tax increases, big wage cuts, increased medical charges, increasing unemployment, etc. For us, the exchange rate is quite good so it's still far cheaper for day to day cost of living than the UK and far more laid back. No intention of moving on.

Is it bad form to answer ones own questions?

1. Lagos has held its prices for the last 2 years but this year, for the first time ever, is offering extra benefits within their overall price.

2. Weren’t there during the summer but at present, Lagos appears slightly fuller than this time last year. About 70% full but the boat size seems bigger; hence A & B pontoons have fewer berth holders.

3. Cost of living always difficult but viewing it from a berth holder’s perspective, no car & energy costs included within marina prices, cheap public transport, food & booze (especially eating out); right across the board, suggest currently about 75/80% of UK’s.

4. Only impact of civil unrest is the now unreliable train service but a good (very inexpensive) alternative airport shuttle has filled this gap. Because of the A22 tolls & price of fuel fewer are hiring cars.

5. Maritime authorities as always evident but do not detect any change of attitude - friendly & helpful as ever.

6. Finally, dare I mention it, have yet to get any first hand evidence of arrest or summary fining.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Smile

4. Only impact of civil unrest is the now unreliable train service but a good (very inexpensive) alternative airport shuttle has filled this gap. Because of the A22 tolls & price of fuel fewer are hiring cars.

Could you give details of the airport shuttle, thanks
    Keep it Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    Could you give details of the airport shuttle, thanks

.....is quite popular.

Default www.faroairportshuttle.com

.....is quite popular.[/QUOTE]

Try www.faroairportshuttle.com, new kid on the block - cheaper & is proving very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Try www.faroairportshuttle.com, new kid on the block - cheaper & is proving very reliable.
    Yes, saw that on Lagos Navigators Bulletin board the other day; when I looked again last night - it had been removed

For me resortfloppa was a no show in October. Although received emails of apology no refund received yet !

Page 1 of 52 1234561151 ... LastLast