Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default sabb 10hp marine diesel

This is my first post but I have been looking round this forum for some time now. I have been looking at a boat with a sabb 1cyl 10hp marine diesel with the feathering prop the boat was built in 1969. this engine was fitted as standard so this must be the original engine. There seems to be only one dealer in the UK they have told me some spares are getting hard to get. The owner wants £6000 for the boat but it would cost that to have a new engine fitted. The engine seems to run OK and I am in a quandary as what to do. Any help or advice about this engine and feathering prop. would be appreciated.

Default sabb 10hp marine diesel Reply to Thread

I hope no body minds me re submitting this

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Have a look at this page of my website. It doesn't answer your question as I suspect nobody can, but it will give you an idea what to look for.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

You are right. The engine is very old and has been out of production for years. It does, however, have a reputation for simplicity and long life. By today's standards it is rather crude and unrefined, but the variable pitch prop makes very good use of the limited power. As you rightly say the potential problem is lack of spares should it really go wrong and the high cost of replacing it as you need to replace the whole drive train, not just the engine.

As to whether it is worth buying, you have to recognise that £6k is not a lot of money for a good functioning boat so you have to accept there is some risk in whatever you buy. For example a replacement rig can cost just as much as an engine so you have to weigh up how long the boat will last before it becomes uneconomic to carry out major repairs.

Lovely antique engine with (probably) workable hand starter- no electric needed, though obviously desirable.

V pitch prop and dog clutch should work fine, just a little more mechanics in connection with water.

Bit issue for me was fillings rattling vibration- worse than my old Yanmar YSM.

The Sabb I ran was an open wooden clinker safety boat on solid engine mounts.

I think one would be very very tiring in a GRP cruiser.

Make sure you get a sea trial-

Nick

I have some good friends who have sailed a very long way with a Sabb 10 in their 1969 Trintella 29. They like the engine's simplicity and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascadale View Post
    I have some good friends who have sailed a very long way with a Sabb 10 in their 1969 Trintella 29. They like the engine's simplicity and reliability.
    I might have fitted it too
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Hi scrimshaw.

I have a Sabb 10hp in my boat but it has a fixed prop, the advantage you have with your feathering prop is you can, err, feather it when sailing and reduce drag, the mechanism is simplicity itself.

The engine.... you have a proper marine diesel there, 10 norwegian horses, lots of low down torque and simplicity itself.

hand start so if you batt runs flat,you got no problem.

Splash lubrication to roller big end and main bearings, so no oil pump to go wrong, cooling water pump is a rubber thingy that lasts forever and can be run dry with no ill effects, i could go on.... you can strip the engine in situ and put it back toghther in a few hours with a couple of spanners if need be.

real good engines, and bullet proof.

spares... try [url]www.sleemanandhawkin.co.uk just google them.
    good luck.
    Last edited by chrishelen; 27-11-12 at 18:11. Reason: typo

if you can fix them now and again, they will outlast you

(1973 same engine on dad's boat)

we have just changed the head after 38 years

rewound dynostart once

cleaned water pump once

new silencer once

we call it NB tho (noisy b......)

My Dad's boat (a Halcyon 27) had this engine, and it is an amazing bit of kit. EXTREMELY basic; the sort of engine that really can be taken apart and put back together by anyone who can use a spanner. It revs slowly, and once going will just keep going. You can count the strokes quite easily at tickover; it is very low revving. Seriously, I reckon you could maintain one with a spanner and a screwdriver - and a hammer!

You definitely can hand start them - my Dad, my brother and I all could (my brother and I both middle teens at the time); it was a bit much for Mum who was only 5' and light weight. Simply open the decompressor, wind the handle until the flywheel is going pretty fast (you'll raise sweat doing this), then drop the decompressor bolt.

Of course, it is an old engine now - but they are so completely over-engineered and under-stressed that I wouldn't be surprised if they are still fine. Certainly, if it starts, I'd expect it to keep running.

It is the sort of engine that will appeal to lovers of Seagull outboards - it is an inboard diesel engine off the same kind of drawing board! But like Seagulls, I doubt if it really has a "use by" date, and will keep going forever.

If the engine runs, then I wouldn't be concerned about it. Of course, they can be killed - but if it starts, then I don't think it is near that stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast