Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    StuE is offline Registered User

Default Velcro for roof panels

I believe some new boats use Velcro for roof panels. I suspect this would be ok for light PVC panels, however has anyone used Velcro for foam backed vinyl stuck to thin ply sheeting. If so what type of Velcro have you used.

Cheers

rob2 is offline Registered User

Not used it myself, the panels on mine are ply but screwed onto battens. Having said that, as the coachroof is quite curved, the panels stay up under calm conditions without fasteners. The screws just snug it up and make it conform to the actual curve, so there is little load on them - I guess if your panels are similar then industrial strength velcro will do the job just as well.

Rob.

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by StuE View Post
    I believe some new boats use Velcro for roof panels. I suspect this would be ok for light PVC panels, however has anyone used Velcro for foam backed vinyl stuck to thin ply sheeting. If so what type of Velcro have you used.

Cheers
    yes I have

Ordinary velcro stuck on with a contact adhesive

BUT

I used it in conjunction with a limited number of screws with covered button caps.

The screws will prevent it coming down if the velcro gives way but the velcro provides support in many more places than I would want buttons. Buttons partly for visual effect .

I put two strips of velcro on each surface at each fixing point at right angles to each other so that when put together they make a hash sign. That makes 4 points of contact without accurate positioning.

Still fine after about 10 years no signs of anything giving way

Last edited by VicS; 08-12-12 at 14:26.
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

pagoda is offline Registered User

Cheers
    Our Jeanneau uses industrial quality velcro on the roof ply panels. There are no visible panel screws as a result. The velcro hook strips are about 50mm wide, stapled and glued to battens under the coachroof.
    I replaced the ply panels in a re-covering exercise, using 6mm ply instead of the 5mm old French stuff. The velcro "ring" strips I both glued and stapled to the ply panels. ( I used stainless staples, the originals were bronze, which I could not find anywhere). I tried 4mm ply but found it very flexy and too thin to take staples.
    I did not use foam backed vinyl, having seen what happened to it with age elsewhere on my boat
    I covered the raw under side of the coach roof with 6mm closed cell foam (Hawke House), before re-fitting the ply panels- now covered in normal white lightly textured vinyl (also Hawke House)
    It looks good and feels a bit cosier, and dampens noise a bit as well. The stiffer 6mm board still follows the roof shape OK and has not fallen off
    I've used the closed cell foam to line/ insulate the forepeak as well. A horrible job, removing traces of old glue & crumbly foam , but worth it!!

Graeme

Cheers
    Dont worry about the grip levels. I lost three front number plates off my Lotus ( low ground clearance and speed bumps) using the normal sticky tape sop I replaced it with velcro from halfords. No problems. OK I've moved the plate up a bit but if I do want to remove it for a track day for example, it now takes some doing.

TBH you are more likely to have problems getting the panels off than having them drop.

Staple the velcro to the wood.

I have vinyl coverd ply panels held up with heavy duty velcro. It's plastic and sticks to itself with an adhesive backing to fix it to the panels and coach roof so you need to paint/varnish the ply to get good adhesion. It's also expensive and made, iirc, by 3M. It's not often available in chandlers, I bought mine on line. The join is very strong but the adhesive does go eventually; after about ten years in my experience.

nigelmercier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richardbrennan View Post
    It's also expensive and made, iirc, by 3M.
    That's http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal...steningSystem/, much superior to Velcro.

Lots of sellers on eBay, but note there are different gauges and adhesive strengths.
    Last edited by nigelmercier; 09-12-12 at 02:51.
    ⓒ Nigel Mercier 2014
    FREE Bavaria Yacht Forum: www.bavariayacht.info

StuE is offline Registered User

Default How much

Thanks for the replies. For those of you that have used Velcro or dual lock, how much. Did you run a continuous strip around the perimeter or just pads every foot or so ? Its pretty expensive so I am hoping strategically placed pads would suffice.

Cheers

pagoda is offline Registered User

Thanks for the replies. For those of you that have used Velcro or dual lock, how much. Did you run a continuous strip around the perimeter or just pads every foot or so ? Its pretty expensive so I am hoping strategically placed pads would suffice.

Cheers
    If you are using the original ply, which will have taken a slight set to the shape anyway, you might well get away with patches. Strategically placed.

If you're using new ply or ever so slightly thicker new ply, I'd be tempted to go for full strips ?

You can always do the most curved panel first by your chosen method, and then revise ideas should it not really hold well enough.

Graeme

Cheers
    Are you sing thin ply covered with vinyl and foam? If so they wont be heavy. I would try a 2 inch square piece at each corner. That will likely hold OK but if it doesnt you can add some intermediates. No way would you need to go round the circumference.