Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    How's that then, leave it safely nailed down ashore as a caravan then get a sailing boat actually designed as such by someone like Oliver Lee, Laurent Giles, Rob Humphries...
    +1

or even German Frers, Tony Castro, Angus Primrose, S&S....

Oh come on guys, it's an old fashioned motorsailer, not a vendee globe contender. If that's what the guy wants, why shouldn't he have it?
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Oh come on guys, it's an old fashioned motorsailer, not a vendee globe contender. If that's what the guy wants, why shouldn't he have it?
    No. It was a low rated boat even in its heyday and considering what it was designed to be...or not to be!

Sorry.

PS I think the Wight was possibly worse.
    JJ
    Make mine a double

Ok I give in, it's a Brick ****house. I've seen them around but never actually sailed one. I've "sailed" a couple of old motorsailers and they weren't noted for being Sparkling. I suppose there had to be one that was noticeably worse than the rest.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Ok I give in, it's a Brick ****house. I've seen them around but never actually sailed one. I've "sailed" a couple of old motorsailers and they weren't noted for being Sparkling. I suppose there had to be one that was noticeably worse than the rest.
    Topcat47,

have a look at a Macwester out of the water - a quick look mind, as it'll make a sailor go blind - an exercise in wetted area and frontal resistance drag.

A chap I know has a Wight ketch, he was astounded by our rudder authority when we ghosted alongside at less than 1 knot; I formed the strong impression his large diesel did most of the work and fine control berthing was the department the fenders were in charge of !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post
    Got a mate coming over from Ireland to view a Macwester Seaforth.

I know nothing about these boats.

Anything he should be looking out for or general comments - good and bad much appreciated.

TIA
    It's a motor sailer & they look like a good seaboat......ignore seajets derision his is a toy by comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas123 View Post
    It's a motor sailer & they look like a good seaboat......ignore seajets derision his is a toy by comparison
    Oh really ?!

Care to come for a spin on either boat in a stiff breeze ?

Here's one who won't be employing Nicholas123 as a Naval Architect just yet, though speaking of architects the Macwesters would have been very useful in the Mulberry Harbour project of WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Oh really ?!

Care to come for a spin on either boat in a stiff breeze ?

Here's one who won't be employing Nicholas123 as a Naval Architect just yet, though speaking of architects the Macwesters would have been very useful in the Mulberry Harbour project of WWII.
    I would'nt have one because I love sailing first & foremost,still the original poster did'nt say his friend did'nt want one & know what he is doing......it looks like a stunning boat as motor sailers go.Check out this link http://essex.boatshed.com/macwester_...at-146715.html
    Your boat is not the ultimate boat seajet no matter how much you wax lyrical about it.It is all a matter of personal preference & we all have different priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas123 View Post
    I would'nt have one because I love sailing first & foremost,still the original poster did'nt say his friend did'nt want one & know what he is doing......it looks like a stunning boat as motor sailers go.Check out this link http://essex.boatshed.com/macwester_...at-146715.html
    Your boat is not the ultimate boat seajet no matter how much you wax lyrical about it.It is all a matter of personal preference & we all have different priorities.
    I have never said the Anderson is the ultimate or perfect boat, I posted just today that such a thing can't be had for a billion pounds !

However there are good and bad examples of design and there are much better boats - even when being honest enough to call themselves motorsailers - than the Macwesters which weren't so much built as congealed.

As for heavy weather or indeed any other type of sailing, you are sincerely welcome for a spin next season, with a bit of luck my chum in his Macwester Wight may be out at the same time, how many circles around it would you like, while we're making a cup of tea in a comfy interior ?!

Like an earlier poster, a friend has a Macwester Wight. (I am not clear how different that is to a Seaforth.) He is VERY happy with it.

It is certainly very comfy and spacious inside compared to some of its competitors. Performance isn't this friend's thing, but he does do a lot of sailing in it.

I believe that with the previous owners it cruised the Med for some years, before being sailed back. So clearly it's a very practical boat, that gets a lot more use than many, how shall I say, esteemed craft of a more performance oriented bent.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast