Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I am in the process of refitting a long keel Seaforth,I think she was a prototype for a Super Seaforth that didn't get off the ground. She is rigged as a cutter rigged ketch and I can't wait to sail her,hopefully this spring.The Mac owners assoc have featured an article on this boat in the past.

Potentially good buy for somebody who is not influenced by style and wants a practical boat that is well sorted. Does, however, show the difficulty in recovering costs on bringing an unfashionable boat up to a high standard. Most of that class will be much older, built by a different builder and nowhere near as good as this one and correspondingly lower priced.

Is anybody looking at a 36' heavy displacement shoal draft bilge keel centre cockpit with pilot house ketch really going to compare it to a 22' lifting keel light displacement open cockpit boat? Apart from the fact they both have sails and go in the water I'd struggle find to any common ground. I'm sure the Anderson could sail rings round the Macwester. It'd need to 'cos the Macwester wouldn't even notice an Anderson 22 if one was foolish enough to get in the way. And regardless of how nice SeaJet thinks his accommodation is (and I'm sure it's lovely) I'd rather spend the night on the Macwester if it's with a few friends after Guinness and a curry or someone's darling children. On the other hand, for all it's stubby little keels you're not going to float that Macwester on wet grass the way you would an Anderson.

It's narrow inside for a 36 footer - very narrow, that's fine if you have a racer but the Mac has other benefits, justa bit of a pity it doesn't have the interior volume to go with them. Personally I like the Mac for the honest boat it is, it's a safe floating home that with the wind at 50 degrees plus will take you in reasonable comfort anywhere. Even when it was built it was outdated but honest.

But time for a shock - I checked the PY of the Anderson 22 and it's considerably slower than my Colvic Watson - does that mean I have a rocket ship or is the Anderson only fast when in the hands of a highly skilled racer, a man at one with his machine, the greatest living Anderson skipper? I think we should be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Haven't been in an Anderson even at rest, have you Nicholas ?!

I zot around in an enjoyable way, and my boat has quite a charming interior thanks.

I didn't introduce the comparison, you did; the Macwester has enough problems already !

Seajet out.
    You started by making a lot of generalizations as you usually do & were very uncomplimentary even insulting to all Macwester owners so you mus'nt be surprised when people point out your own boats shortcomings.
    I spent many years owning boats your size & prefer proper side decks & space on the fore deck to do anchor work & practical stuff like that......I am also revelling in full standing headroom & the no nonsense down to earth practical nature of my boat.I just love it as I dare say many owners do their boats even owners of seaforths who knows?
    Cut out the bombastic attitude & you won't hear things you'd rather not seajet

Quote Originally Posted by bitbaltic View Post
    Anyway am in agreement about keeping the thread on macwesters.

Cheers
    The thread is actually about one Macwester the Macwester seaforth.Anybody who thinks they are all the same knows bugger all about boats.

Oooops, my mistake...... it is actually a Macgregor he is looking at.

Any comments on those? (I knew it was something Scottish sounding).

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post

Oh boy! If you thought reactions to a Macwester were vitriolic, ain't nothing compared with what will be unleashed when folks know its a McGregor your mate is considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas123 View Post
    Cut out the bombastic attitude & you won't hear things you'd rather not seajet
    Leopards and spots, I'm afraid Nicholas. He has to be right - how can you question the opinions of somebody with such a pedigree?

BTW, could not agree with you more. Honest boats that give lots of pleasure to people who like that kind of thing. And the designer lived a few doors away from my house so must have had something going for him.

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post

Blooody hell. Ever thought of a job with the United Nations?

Macgre......avoid the quarter pounder with cheese is all I know.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast