Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Like others have said it really depends on usage.

We bought our Malin as a safe family boat. We don't race. The boat is solid and takes the abuse that inevitably comes along with kids. If we ever have the misfortune of running aground, we'll have more chance of getting away with it than many modern boats as the hulls are pretty thick.

I like that. I like the heavy build. I like the baby ship feel. 'Motorsailer' isn't a dirty word; it's a description of a type of boat that has evolved to satisfy a demand.

No doubt there are prettier and more modern 32 / 36 footers out there, but larger Macs still offer a compelling East coast proposition for the money.

Incidentally, I think it's the 27 that has extended keels.
    My Macwester Malin website, blog & photobank http://macwester.wordpress.com

In case you all have failed to notice, the OP has corrected the theme of the thread. Apparently his Irish friend is interested in a MacGregor of some sort.

I have looked at only two of these (for a friend), both called MacGregor 26. One was a sort of floating caravan shape with a short mast and a 40 horse outboard on the transom. The owner said it was a great boat, could sail and do over 15 knots under power. On asking, he admitted the downside was that it sailed very slowly and used 3 gallons of petrol per hour when at full speed. The other was also 26 feet long but as different as chalk and cheese. It was a sort of day-sailer with a small and uncomfortable cabin dominated by a centreboard case. A bit of rusty wire went into the case to operate the centreboard. The boat was seriously neglected and was still for sale at the same inflated price (around 8k) several years later.
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Wight Dawn View Post
    In case you all have failed to notice, the OP has corrected the theme of the thread. Apparently his Irish friend is interested in a MacGregor of some sort.

I have looked at only two of these (for a friend), both called MacGregor 26. One was a sort of floating caravan shape with a short mast and a 40 horse outboard on the transom. The owner said it was a great boat, could sail and do over 15 knots under power. On asking, he admitted the downside was that it sailed very slowly and used 3 gallons of petrol per hour when at full speed. The other was also 26 feet long but as different as chalk and cheese. It was a sort of day-sailer with a small and uncomfortable cabin dominated by a centreboard case. A bit of rusty wire went into the case to operate the centreboard. The boat was seriously neglected and was still for sale at the same inflated price (around 8k) several years later.
    Have a look at post #41. Chinita was being a little tinker..

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    Have a look at post #41. Chinita was being a little tinker..
    But he spoiled it by owning up, so forestalling all the wonderful advice that might have followed - except from Seajet who obviously had not read it all but still gave his 2p worth!

Unfortunately I owned up too soon. Should have let the topic career wildly out of control for a few pages before announcing that my mate was quite taken with a Bav he had seen but noticed some rust around the keel..........

Rust is OK. You have to be able to see daylight between the keel and the hull before there is any cause for concern - but then a tube of bathroom sealant from B&Q will probably fix it.

Thumbs up I like the Macgreggor

I really do like the Microsoft 26M especially after you do the upgrades ( service packs )

Right where's me beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Rust is OK. You have to be able to see daylight between the keel and the hull before there is any cause for concern - but then a tube of bathroom sealant from B&Q will probably fix it.
    But the keel was lying beside the boat

Perhaps it is normal winter maintenance, removing the keel?

Is was going very cheap for some reason.

Then probably need 2 tubes of sealant and a few decking screws to put it back on in the spring - although of course you could just put some bungs in the holes in the bottom of the hull so you can use a drying mooring. Rudder might be a bit of a problem, but that will probably snap off like a carrot first time it dries out.

Hope you guys won't mind me butting in here, notwithstanding the OP isn't now looking for a Macwester at all!

I have a Macwester Rowan (22 footer) and, yes it's heavy, over 2 tons! Wouldn't have been even on any list of boats to look at let alone first choice. Actually she was wrecked in Newton Ferrers and declared an insurance write-off. I bought her for less than 300!

On my first 'overseas' trp to the Channel Islands we were hit by severe weather (sent by the Fench!) and I soon gave our little bathtub a great deal of respect.

Returning from Guernsey this summer ( yes, we did have one) we were averaging between 5 and 6 knots towards Plymouth, getting in 3 hours ahead of ETA. And in September, between Mevagissey and Fowey we almost reached 7 knots (OTG) and that was towing the inflatable!

Mind you, for close quarter work I do rely on my Yanmar!

Geoff

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast