Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    up North
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Like others have said it really depends on usage.

    We bought our Malin as a safe family boat. We don't race. The boat is solid and takes the abuse that inevitably comes along with kids. If we ever have the misfortune of running aground, we'll have more chance of getting away with it than many modern boats as the hulls are pretty thick.

    I like that. I like the heavy build. I like the baby ship feel. 'Motorsailer' isn't a dirty word; it's a description of a type of boat that has evolved to satisfy a demand.

    No doubt there are prettier and more modern 32 / 36 footers out there, but larger Macs still offer a compelling East coast proposition for the money.

    Incidentally, I think it's the 27 that has extended keels.
    My Macwester Malin website, blog & photobank http://macwester.wordpress.com

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Western Scotland
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    In case you all have failed to notice, the OP has corrected the theme of the thread. Apparently his Irish friend is interested in a MacGregor of some sort.

    I have looked at only two of these (for a friend), both called MacGregor 26. One was a sort of floating caravan shape with a short mast and a 40 horse outboard on the transom. The owner said it was a great boat, could sail and do over 15 knots under power. On asking, he admitted the downside was that it sailed very slowly and used 3 gallons of petrol per hour when at full speed. The other was also 26 feet long but as different as chalk and cheese. It was a sort of day-sailer with a small and uncomfortable cabin dominated by a centreboard case. A bit of rusty wire went into the case to operate the centreboard. The boat was seriously neglected and was still for sale at the same inflated price (around 8k) several years later.
    Ken.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wight Dawn View Post
    In case you all have failed to notice, the OP has corrected the theme of the thread. Apparently his Irish friend is interested in a MacGregor of some sort.

    I have looked at only two of these (for a friend), both called MacGregor 26. One was a sort of floating caravan shape with a short mast and a 40 horse outboard on the transom. The owner said it was a great boat, could sail and do over 15 knots under power. On asking, he admitted the downside was that it sailed very slowly and used 3 gallons of petrol per hour when at full speed. The other was also 26 feet long but as different as chalk and cheese. It was a sort of day-sailer with a small and uncomfortable cabin dominated by a centreboard case. A bit of rusty wire went into the case to operate the centreboard. The boat was seriously neglected and was still for sale at the same inflated price (around 8k) several years later.
    Have a look at post #41. Chinita was being a little tinker..

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    32,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    Have a look at post #41. Chinita was being a little tinker..
    But he spoiled it by owning up, so forestalling all the wonderful advice that might have followed - except from Seajet who obviously had not read it all but still gave his 2p worth!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Outer Hebrides
    Posts
    13,227

    Default

    Unfortunately I owned up too soon. Should have let the topic career wildly out of control for a few pages before announcing that my mate was quite taken with a Bav he had seen but noticed some rust around the keel..........

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    32,180

    Default

    Rust is OK. You have to be able to see daylight between the keel and the hull before there is any cause for concern - but then a tube of bathroom sealant from B&Q will probably fix it.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minehead / boat Porlock (I hope)
    Posts
    3,316

    Thumbs up I like the Macgreggor

    I really do like the Microsoft 26M especially after you do the upgrades ( service packs )

    Right where's me beer

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Outer Hebrides
    Posts
    13,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Rust is OK. You have to be able to see daylight between the keel and the hull before there is any cause for concern - but then a tube of bathroom sealant from B&Q will probably fix it.
    But the keel was lying beside the boat

    Perhaps it is normal winter maintenance, removing the keel?

    Is was going very cheap for some reason.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    32,180

    Default

    Then probably need 2 tubes of sealant and a few decking screws to put it back on in the spring - although of course you could just put some bungs in the holes in the bottom of the hull so you can use a drying mooring. Rudder might be a bit of a problem, but that will probably snap off like a carrot first time it dries out.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bodmin Moor, Cornwall
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Hope you guys won't mind me butting in here, notwithstanding the OP isn't now looking for a Macwester at all!

    I have a Macwester Rowan (22 footer) and, yes it's heavy, over 2 tons! Wouldn't have been even on any list of boats to look at let alone first choice. Actually she was wrecked in Newton Ferrers and declared an insurance write-off. I bought her for less than 300!

    On my first 'overseas' trp to the Channel Islands we were hit by severe weather (sent by the Fench!) and I soon gave our little bathtub a great deal of respect.

    Returning from Guernsey this summer ( yes, we did have one) we were averaging between 5 and 6 knots towards Plymouth, getting in 3 hours ahead of ETA. And in September, between Mevagissey and Fowey we almost reached 7 knots (OTG) and that was towing the inflatable!

    Mind you, for close quarter work I do rely on my Yanmar!

    Geoff

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to