Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    epervier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    Just curious. have you any picture showing the kind of damage from lassooing
    I haven't got any photos, but I have gone to pick up my mooring and the smaller buoy has been torn and sunk, so no direct evidence of it happening to me, but a couple of sea schools have been caught on film doing it to a friends mooring twice last year, he sent them a bill with photos showing their 36' boats with name of school along the topsides, they tend not to do it in our area anymore

FWIW, my take is that lassoing is for pontoon cleats, shore-side bollards,hard mooring buoys, as a last resort in an emergency on inflatable mooring buoys, schools ought to be using their own gear to teach on, and not other peoples.
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

epervier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BobPrell View Post
    I see thread on the pins. I can't see how much is left on the female part of the shackle.

I would have thought there was enough thread to engage. What actually came apart to turn the boat loose?

With your 3 anchor, railway wheel, 400kg rig,

What sort of boat is hanging off it?

What sort of wind and current does it have to stand? Just annual storms, not fifty year ones.

The thread on the pin and shackle both fizzed away enough for the pin to fall out, it wasn't unscrewed, the mousing is still in place,

my boat is 10 mtr,motor pilot cutter,it's my avatar, just under 10 ton when watered and fed.

Normal conditions, but this last week or so up to 53 kts winds, tides are negligible.

I'm guessing your interest is that the gear is quite substantial, it is for my size boat, but I like to be at home knowing it ain't going anywhere in a hurry even in storm force weather.
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

Quote Originally Posted by epervier View Post
    The thread on the pin and shackle both fizzed away enough for the pin to fall out, it wasn't unscrewed, the mousing is still in place,

(snip).
    That wouldn't be the result of the copper wire right hext to it would it?

Using galvanised wire, my shackles & swivels have lasted for many years.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by millbeach View Post
    On the east coast i have picked up many a mooring for an over night stay.
    I would never leave my boat unattended on some ones mooring.
    Of course if mooring holder returned, i would move in an instance.

When i have been away, people have told me a boat was on my mooring for the night, i have no problem.
    Live and let live i say.

We are all brother sailors in my opinion.

We must respect others tackle, and leave mooring as we found it.
    Well said.
    'The lyf so short
    the arte so long to lerne.'

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112