Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LionsDen is offline Registered User

Default Salt-Away vs Rydlyme Marine Descaler Review

Hi fellow forumites - I went to LBS yesterday - great show and amongst my finds was Salt-Away which is an aternative for Rydlyme for removing salt residue from the cooling systems. I bought a starter pack and am thinking off using this to flush the engines through to remove any salt build up over the last 4 years. Also meant to be very good for removing salt from the superstructure etc before washing down - not sure if it effects A-Glaze so need to put a call into these guys etc.

Has anyone used this product as it looks like a nice and easy product to use - Warm engines first then remove raw water strainer lid and fill with half cup off product - run engines for 15 - 30 seconds and let the product do its job - Flush through with the engines running and raw water seacock open so all the crud comes out - I understand that Motortech @ Port Solent are considering using this product from the guy on the stand.

I would very much appreciate any feedback from fellow forumites.

www.salt-away.co.uk for UK etc

or look @ www.saltawayproducts.com for rest off the world plus additional video footage.

Best Regards - Terry

VicS is offline Registered User

I have a pretty good idea what Rydlyme is and how it works.
    I know that it is a descaler for removing carbonate scaling

If you have a build up of carbonate scale Rydlyme or a acid based descaler such as Fernox DS3 , which is sulphamic acid based, will remove it.

In extreme cases you might need to cautiously use hydrochloric acid . Some brick cleaners are hydrochloric acid.

I have no idea what Saltaway is.

I do not really understand why you need anything other than water to remove salt .. it is reasonably water soluble!

However try your starter pack and compare carefully with what water alone will do.

Lets us know the results.
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

Hi Vic,

Many thanks for your reply above - I thought this seemed like a far easier solution off flushing the engines through annually as it can be done by using sea water rather than freshwater whilst at the same time alleviating any risk off damage to the water impellers.

I have used rydlyme and found it a great product....at least plenty of
    Stuff ended up in the bucket

It made sense that I needed to circulate it through the cooling system with an external pump for an hour so the product could get to all the areas continually removing more and more build up.

With the salt away, if you only need to put it in the strainer and run the engine for 15-30 seconds, how do you know which bit of the cooling circuit is being cleaned. Is the solution sitting in one part which is now spotless whilst the rest is no better. It seems a bit of an inaccurate way of delivering the product.

A friend uses it on his jet ski after every trip but has done since new so difficult to say who effective it is for a once per year hit.

nigelmercier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I do not really understand why you need anything other than water to remove salt .. it is reasonably water soluble!
    Quite. I saw the demo at SIBS, nail in salt water with product, no rust. Not convinced it does anything.
    ⓒ Nigel Mercier 2014
    FREE Bavaria Yacht Forum: www.bavariayacht.info

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    I have used rydlyme and found it a great product....at least plenty of
    Stuff ended up in the bucket

It made sense that I needed to circulate it through the cooling system with an external pump for an hour so the product could get to all the areas continually removing more and more build up.

With the salt away, if you only need to put it in the strainer and run the engine for 15-30 seconds, how do you know which bit of the cooling circuit is being cleaned. Is the solution sitting in one part which is now spotless whilst the rest is no better. It seems a bit of an inaccurate way of delivering the product.

A friend uses it on his jet ski after every trip but has done since new so difficult to say who effective it is for a once per year hit.

Apparently you run the engines until you start to see the water start to fizz from the exhaust outlets then switch the engines off so the product is in the whole of the raw water system to do its job. The product works a bit like a kettle descaler kit I guess

Never used Salt Away for engines but can confirm that when used with a spray dispenser for a quick rinse off, that dried on salt crust spotting on my hull was a thing of the past. Haven't used it for a while as I got the quart I used from the States as until recently it was not approved for sale in EU (hence the Jersey distrubutor) it was the one thing I found to buy at LIBS and am pleased it is now available in UK. I doubt claims for the engine are justified unless it is used from new, the septics use it a lot in raw water cooled motors and O/Bs.
    East Coast Marine Heating & Electronics, Webasto, Wallas & Mikuni dealer

I use rydelime and quite a lot of it through the year, best way is to rig a pump system up from the outlet of the sea water pump then use the last pipe from the gearbox oil cooler to the exhaust elbow to a bucket, or if the coolers are off and stripped dip them in a bath of it for 24 hours. I've just done some coolers off a tamd71a, hey look like new now.

I bought a volvo penta 'Neutra-Salt' system http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/pr...ushing_kit.pdf which I intend to fit before this season as I have one piece aluminium exhaust manifolds and risers and am hoping that it will help reduce corrosion.

My understanding is that the neutra salt displaces/neutralises the salt in the water left in the cooling system after you stop the engine whereas the Salt-Away is more of a flushing agent although perhaps not as agressive as Rydlyme or even brick cleaner, all of which require a freshwater flush afterwards [which being on a mooring I don't have access to].

Anyone know if/where I can get Rydelyme in France? (Volvopaul, there's no need for you to answer this one )

Cheers
    Jimmy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast