Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Tenders

Default Jet Tenders

I'm just buying a new 55ft motor yacht and I'm looking to put a jet tender on it. On my list in the moment I have a Williams 285 jet tender and the Aermarine 285 jet tender. Who has operational experiences with on of those to make my decision easier.

Thanks
    Joachim

DougH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
    I'm just buying a new 55ft motor yacht and I'm looking to put a jet tender on it. On my list in the moment I have a Williams 285 jet tender and the Aermarine 285 jet tender. Who has operational experiences with on of those to make my decision easier.

Thanks
    Joachim
    I have a Williams 325 on a 20 metre boat with an hydraulic bathing platform to launch it.

Reason for purchase was the tender is jet propelled and has no external propeller.

As this tender is used for towing all sorts of inflatable toys and skis by my grandchildren safety was my main consideration.

I have not been disappointed, it is a cracking and very well made boat but is very fast.

When the next boat arrives it will have another Williams (Larger model) for certain.

Being a jet it does take a bit of practise to get used to, but this is not a problem .

No experienced with the Aermarine brand so cannot comment.

jfm is offline Registered User

There's a wider debate of jet vs outboard but let's leave that topic aside. Of the two you mention Williams is way better. Better design, much more power, better looking, much more established. The Aermarine has a somewhat unknown italian engine (spares? backup?) whereas the Williams Weber engine is now very well established with tens of thousands of units installed and is generally reliable and liked (though it is a complex beast!). So of those 2 it has to be the williams imho

DougH, have you ordered a new boat? Do tell! Sounds exciting. manhattan 73?

EDIT: I just looked at Aermarine website. The jet engine is 40hp at 7250rpm and 27mph max with 2 pax. I'm sorry but that is just rubbish. 7250rpm will drive you nuts and you won't even be going fast. The williams will perform well with 4 pax and at a lot less than7000revs
    Last edited by jfm; 22-01-13 at 23:47.

Joachim

I have a Williams 325 - it is only a little more money than the 285 and worth it for the extra space and better ride. It is a great boat, very well built and will put a smile on your face when you use it.

-Andrew
    What pays for my boating. www.exclaimer.com

The fitted passerelle may not be up to lifting the Williams on some boats and also will it have sufficiant "reach" to lift the Williams clear of the swim platform.
    Is passerelle pivot point high enough not bash the top of the steering wheel on this tender when stowed.
    Friend decided not to go down that route after taking into account the fact that existing stuff on boat would have to be seriously upgraded, plus bulkhead would have be reinforced to get 350 kilos of jetrib clear of swim platform.

Thanks to all of you, that really helps! My new boat has a hi-lo platform capable of handling up to 400 kg, so no problem with the Williams. And - you basically confirm my gut feeling that UK made is much preferable to some Italian design wonders.
    Joachim

Hurricane is offline Registered User

I'm afraid my experience of all jet dinghies is simple.
    They are great fun but a real nightmare to keep serviced.
    To me the reliability issue is so bad that I would stick to a conventional outboard motor dinghy - lighter too - have a look at the Walker Bay threads on this forum.
    I'll find the links for you if you like - the current search facility doesn't seem to be working properly.

That would be great, no idea what Walker Bay is?
    Joachim

I'm on my 3rd Williams tender and was about to order a new 385 with the sport engine upgrade. Price tag put me off a bit, Decided to 'refurbish' my old one instead. Current one came supplied with the boat but is even older than the boat, it's possible 6/7 years old. Wasn't particularly well looked after. Williams spares service is superb, most parts available quickly.

My refurbish includes new throttle body, new tubes (£600ish)' new rear pods, new steering wheel, new gauges etc etc.

I would have gone for a new 4M rib & Yamaha outboard but Mrs MRC overruled hence the refurb. We have young kids and they spend most of the time in the water which means climbing in and out of the Williams, skiing, driving it, computer game era kids have no problems driving a jet. Not having a prob is a big plus for our family and the use it gets but for reliability and adult use I would go for a 'proper' rib.

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MRC View Post
    Wasn't particularly well looked after.
    They're sturdy things those Williamses

Last edited by jfm; 23-01-13 at 13:46.