Default Part 1 registration - Blue Book v MCA

can anyone help on the RIGHT way to register a boat.

My boat is Part 1 registered from new and came with the original Blue Book from when she was first registered. Every subsequent owner is listed in tis document, apart from the last owner.

The owner prior to me registered with the MCA and received a nasty sheet of paper encapsulated in clear plastic

I have been told that it is possible to add my details to the Blue Book by not going through the MCA but straight to the Authorities in Southampton

MCA says this is not true and I have to have the encapsulated paper...

Can anyone shed any light?

Default Re: Part 1 registration - Blue Book v MCA

Unfortunately the Blue Book is done away with (unless the vessel is registered in Jersey) all you get now is that scabby bit of paper generated by a Computer. You can however ask for the Blue Book to be returned to you as a memento, it comes back with a dirty great "CANCELLED" stamp across it. If however you are the 2nd registration since the new scheme then forget it. The book will have been destroyed.

©2001

Thankfully I have the blue book.
    I cannot believ the MCA could be so crass as to destroy something like this. Mine dates from 1931, shows every owner and is a valid part of the history of my boat.
    Has anyone had their's destroyed?

It does seem a shame that History is being destroyed. I bet in years to come retained books will appear framed on Riverside and Seaside Pub walls as something of a rareity.
    Whilst not happy with the situation I can understand it for modern boats however one would think that due to the historical value older vessels such as yours would be subject to some sort of Grandfather clause.

©2001