Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For crying out loud! Bollaxing windows!

So we had our two very leaky side windows out and resealed in the early part of this year.
    After last night's downpour and this morning's showers, I've discovered one of the windows hasn't bedded properly and there's a number of leaks between the bedding compound and the new acrylic panel.

We're due to leave mid next week, so we're in no position to take the window out and send it back. I've spoken with the company that did the windows and they're going to refund the cost of resealing the window as there's nothing they can do in such a short time frame.

However, we're left with a rather leaky window. The leaks seem to be coming from two particular areas. Does anyone have any idea how we might be able to at least temporarily sort this? I've heard good things about Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure, or something like that. Would it be worth squeezing some of that stuff in (once it's dry!) and seeing how we get on?

Any other suggestions?
    Living the dream!
    www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
    So we had our two very leaky side windows out and resealed in the early part of this year.
    After last night's downpour and this morning's showers, I've discovered one of the windows hasn't bedded properly and there's a number of leaks between the bedding compound and the new acrylic panel.

We're due to leave mid next week, so we're in no position to take the window out and send it back. I've spoken with the company that did the windows and they're going to refund the cost of resealing the window as there's nothing they can do in such a short time frame.

However, we're left with a rather leaky window. The leaks seem to be coming from two particular areas. Does anyone have any idea how we might be able to at least temporarily sort this? I've heard good things about Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure, or something like that. Would it be worth squeezing some of that stuff in (once it's dry!) and seeing how we get on?

Any other suggestions?

the slug window stayed sealed for two seasons with hot glue gun stuff

not pretty - but fairly easy to peel off afterwards

Dylan

I would try the creeping crack cure, it has worked well for me, give it a go, it's just like pouring water out of a bottle, so note it will run everywhere (Keep a spare rag to hand).

Quote Originally Posted by dylanwinter View Post
    the slug window stayed sealed for two seasons with hot glue gun stuff

not pretty - but fairly easy to peel off afterwards

Dylan
    I shall keep this in mind as a last resort!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubadoo View Post
    I would try the creeping crack cure, it has worked well for me, give it a go, it's just like pouring water out of a bottle, so note it will run everywhere (Keep a spare rag to hand).
    Does this stuff go off? I have a little bottle that came with the boat, but I have no idea how old it is?
    Living the dream!

northwind is offline Registered User

Any other suggestions?
    For the short term, duct tape.

VicS is offline Registered User

Does this stuff go off? I have a little bottle that came with the boat, but I have no idea how old it is?
    I'd think if it is still liquid and looks Ok it will be Ok. http://www.captaintolley.com/

I think you will find it fairly good on small leaks provided there is no movement to break the seal, but probably not much good on big leaks.

( the stuff I bought made by Comma is totally different and not much good at all)

I shall keep this in mind as a last resort!

I've kept a bottle for years and it seems fine and works, but like Vics has said it is for small leaks. When I had a window leaking, I didn't want to remove all the sealant etc, so I went along the sealant with this product, left it to dry and then did it again.

Assuming that you have acrylic windows which are screwed/bolted to the grp then have you tried tightening the fixings up to compress the sealent more? Worked for me when mine started leaking!

Quote Originally Posted by orangemikey View Post
    Assuming that you have acrylic windows which are screwed/bolted to the grp then have you tried tightening the fixings up to compress the sealent more? Worked for me when mine started leaking!
    The acrylic is held in a frame, the frame is then attached to the hull via another part of frame. Unfortunately, not able to tighten up the joint with the acrylic. So, Tolley's it is!
    Living the dream!

Fernox LS-X. Get it from any half decent Plumber's Merchant. It's a sort of silicone that sets with damp. I've bogged up my windows with the stuff.
    "Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy" B. Franklin