Page 1 of 31 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Crisis, help urgently needed.

I have received this morning news that my sons boat (ex trawler - ex Pat Campbell and renamed Andromeda), has been holed by ironwork on the harbour wall at Fleetwood and sunk. She is now resting on the bottom completely awash.

She is not insured.

Advice on liability would be very welcome.

Time is obviously of the essence and my son is en route from Inverness as I write.

I have diving gear (and an age of 73!) and our plan is to fix a plywood board on the outside secured with (hopefully) one bolt though the damage area to a board inboard, the outer one packed with soft material to seal the hole.

Communication between inside and out will be difficult.

I understand we are on springs at the moment (which has probably contributed to the situation) and high water overflows the lock gates. There is a possibility that there is a high water gate (wrong words) that will protect against this overflow.

There is also a possibility that the harbour authorities will be able to lower the level in the dock at low water.

I have been charged with trying to source high capacity pumps for the refloating. There is fuel and lubricating oil on board and I assume that a boom will be deployed to stop pollution.

I believe the fire service could be asked to pump her out but presumably would charge for that. As his venture is a shoe-string one, money is extremely tight. As an ex member of the Kessock lifeboat crew, he wonders if the Blackpool lifeboat could help.

I am now going top try to muster some professional help but any suggestions will be extremely gratefully received.

If there is any good news, she will not suffer any more underwater until the air gets at the metals. A;so, the planks will be swelling nicely now.
    Last edited by Graham_Wright; 30-04-13 at 09:38.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Not much I can do to help.... but good luck in getting her lifted and floating. I hope it all works out OK.

Might be worth phoning Blackpool Area Divers, contact details give address couple of miles south of Fleetwood:

Blackpool Area Divers, 32 Beechwood Drive, Thornton-Cleveleys, FY5 5EJ - 01253 869188

Best of luck with refloating...

If the boat is wood, just nail plywood patches on the outside, with a gasket of Denso Tape or neoprene. Use 6 or 10mm ply so it will follow the curve of the hull. Depending on how low the water level can be lowered outside, you may have to block air vents, tank breathers etc.
    Remember bilge pump discharges normally above the waterline may need patching if non return valves not fitted.

Pumps: most plant hire places will have 3" petrol pumps available. Anything bigger is too heavy to maneuver on deck. You need at least six if the incoming tide is a factor. The more the merrier, allow redundancy for refueling and the inevitable blocked suction hose with debris.

If son is ex RNLI, def contact local crew, if only for contacts for pumps and materials, and smoothing relations with local harbour officials..
    Last edited by NorthUp; 28-04-13 at 13:49. Reason: maneuver sp

Horrible to hear-
    I'm berthed in F wood too but I can only attend Tues/Wed if needed, I'm sure others will be quicker
    http://www.trawlerpictures.net/galle...ampbell-lh426/

Nick

I've seen a hole patched with ply and expanding foam, which loves the wet, not sure if it can be used under the water though. Is the harbour liable for their protruding ironwork?

advice on liability......... I think you will find that if its in the dock one of the requirements is craft has to be insured at least third party . ........ I hope I'm wrong .
    Last edited by clyst; 28-04-13 at 15:44. Reason: Bloody predicted Ipad

Hasn't to be insured? Surely you mean' has to be insured' Anyway was this the one that has been on and off Ebay for a couple of years? If it is then its a terrible shame as it looked pretty good and would have made an excellent liveaboard for the right person.Best of luck with salvage and hope there are no fines for pollution

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Communication between inside and out will be difficult.
    Use studding, a flat bar with a nut tightened either side can be fed in through the hole and seated against the inside, leave it long enough to then put the patch and outside nut on.

Once you have it up and secure you need to get the engine flushed and cleaned pdq. The electric motors /alternators will need a good flushing as well as the electronics ..... there is a slim possibility that they may survive. The electrical cables will be useless, if not now in a few months time; as will the switch panel.

Hose as much of the interior down with copious amounts of fresh water. Residual salt will ruin anything it touches. Obviously soft furnishings should be removed for cleaning or throwing away .... and sponge foam should be tossed.

Be careful of the batteries ..... isolate them and remove them asap .... and take care the area may be contaminated with acid.

Time is really important here. Try and save as much as you can.

Good luck and best wishes. If I was close I'd give you a hand, but alas I'm in Auckland.

Page 1 of 31 12345611 ... LastLast