Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Another uninsured one. By the sound of it
    No ! I do not apologise & i do not retract my statement
    I suppose you agree with driving an uninsured car
    Is there any difference?
    Yes he has lost his home & that is hard luck but the situation he finds himself was pretty predictable if you think about it ( not how it happened but the problems that would arise afterwards once it did)
    Yet another dim witted fool. Do you want the same set of laws, rules, enforcement at sea as on land? Surely one of the delights of sailing is that it is unregulated and everyone takes responsibility for themselves. Sure, there's a risk that my boat might get damaged by someone without insurance (I have chosen to have my own insurance to cover that risk) but I do not want for me or anyone else to have to produce their insurance certificate every year whilst they queue to obtain their sailing licence which must be produced on demand by the marine police force.

So this individual has put his boat and potentially his financial security at risk by not insuring his boat - that is his choice and it is none of my business nor yours. I feel every sympathy for his plight and I wish him well. The idea that this is the time to start blaming him - well, I guess only a dim-witted fool would think it appropriate.
    Jonathan / Aeolus

Quiddle is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    I believe the fire service could be asked to pump her out but presumably would charge for that.
    Not much help I'm afraid but when I left the Fire Service 10 years ago they charged 400 an hour for pumping out. Best of luck and sorry that you are further burdened by fools like Daydream Believer.

TradewindSailor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    I expect that with a boat like his he probably took a crew when he moved it
    So you would be quite happy if there was an accident & someone had to tell a widow with 2 kids that her husband had drowned & there was to be no compensation as the boat was un insured

You objectors to my post just do not get it do you!! How would the post have developed then? All in favour of the skipper--- i think not---- Throwing insults insults at me because you have not thought this through shows a total shortsightedness

Of course it is unfortunate but a lot of what happens afterwards is just a result of a lack of basic common sense & one finds it difficult to have any sympathy whatsoever.
    People do not need an A level to realise such things.
    I am absolutely disgusted by your attitude! You are a disgrace to the cruising fraternity that usually pull together in an occasion like this and offer help for free. You really do need to crawl back under that stone.

I am very glad to be cruising in an area where people actually care about others.

To the OP: As for costs of clean up etc. if the authorities are unreasonable have a word with a MARINE LAWYER. I believe that their are some significant limits to liability.

You might try contacting Dave Murray here http://www.glaciere.co.uk/ he may be interested in a "training exercise"

I'm very sorry to hear it.

It's clutching at straws, I know, but is it possible that the boat is covered by some other insurance policy - i.e. household policy? Failing that, personal legal cover may be enough to counter sue the marina for their negligence causing the loss?

pvb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sighmoon View Post
    Failing that, personal legal cover may be enough to counter sue the marina for their negligence causing the loss?
    Do you think Fleetwood Haven Marina is negligent? In what way?

Is there a photo (I don't mean a picture of a water surface) or a bit more info?
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Tam Lin is online now Registered User

Saw this post just after it was posted and felt very sorry for the guy. Caught up today and thought that I had wandered into the Lounge by mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Do you think Fleetwood Haven Marina is negligent? In what way?
    Sorry, I didn't really mean to imply anything, other than if he has a policy somewhere that will cover legal costs, his options may open up. That was my clumsily worded interpretation of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    ... has been holed by ironwork on the harbour wall at Fleetwood and sunk.
    What sort of ironwork could foreseeably sink a boat, and was it supposed to be there? Or knowing it was there, was it the best place for the marina to put this boat?

But I've never been there, and I'm not a lawyer.

Surely if the marina gave you that berth and you were paying for it then the marina is totally to blame as the berth was not safe. If however they did not give you that berth then I hope the costs are not as expensive as I fear.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast