Default Beneteau oceanis 40 Rudder bearings

The helm has gone stiff on my 2007 Beneteau Oceanis 40 and I plan on changing the rudder bearings.

Has anyone carried this out or can offer any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Lee

Think I would try oil / grease / penetrating oil on all the cables and other bits first. Cannot see why the bearings should cause the problem they will get looser as they wear and are lubricated by the water that they sit in .. Just a thought ..

as above I'd look at everything else before even thinking about the bearings, its not the autohelm is it?
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Ian13

Thanks for the reply, I have greased the cables but noticed that there is movement in the rudder stock when I put the emergency tiller in.

I have just discovered that there was a modification carried out before I took delivery from new by the beneteau dealer which involves a plate being bolted to the stock apparently to secure the rudder.

Last season the bolts came loose and fell out, on discovery I retightened them but wonder whether the rudder has worn the bearings while being run out of plumb. I am also unsure whether the bolts holding the plate should be secured by nuts in the slot as they are now or above with washers.

I attach the photo if anyone can offer any advice...

Thanks

Dan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    as above I'd look at everything else before even thinking about the bearings, its not the autohelm is it?
    Jimi

Thanks for the reply.

I have disconnected the autohelm to eliminate it but the steering is still stiff.

The autohelm cut out on my last cruise I presume because it was working too hard due to the steering fault.

Thanks

Dan Lee

All

See photos of installation of modification.

Thanks

Dan Lee

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    Ian13

Thanks for the reply, I have greased the cables but noticed that there is movement in the rudder stock when I put the emergency tiller in.

I have just discovered that there was a modification carried out before I took delivery from new by the beneteau dealer which involves a plate being bolted to the stock apparently to secure the rudder.

Last season the bolts came loose and fell out, on discovery I retightened them but wonder whether the rudder has worn the bearings while being run out of plumb. I am also unsure whether the bolts holding the plate should be secured by nuts in the slot as they are now or above with washers.

I attach the photo if anyone can offer any advice...

Thanks

Dan Lee

no chance the rudder stock is out of alignment due to loose bolts tightened wrongly making it stiff, no chance of bent stock due to a grounding? the first pic seems to show the stock is not central to the emergency tiller hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    All

See photos of installation of modification.

Thanks

Dan Lee

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg
    Dan
    give us a bell, will pm my number
    Stu

[QUOTE=testmonkey;4167589]no chance the rudder stock is out of alignment due to loose bolts tightened wrongly making it stiff, no chance of bent stock due to a grounding? the first pic seems to show the stock is not central to the emergency tiller hole?

Testmonkey

Thanks for the reply.

The bolts could be tightened incorrectly, there has not been a grounding but you are correct the stock doesn't exit in the centre of the hole.

Unlike your photo the drawing of the modification beneteau sent me last week shows the plate with slots for the bolt positions and not holes furthermore the nuts are secured inside the slots. The design you sent would hold the stock plumb unlike mine.

This is what is fitted to my boat. (see drawing from beneteau below)

Thanks

Dan Lee

photo-3.jpg

photo.jpg