Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you do if you can't afford to fill your fuel tanks?

Totally pi--ed off. Perfect greek islands weather. 30c flat calm with cool breezes and I'm stuck in the boatyard, actually one of the few boats left. Came out end of April to prepare the Bertram for its " big trip " and now broke after replacing three large bilge pumps, the guts of a Vetus toilet, and the cost of the new and working DIY hydraulic passerelle. On top of that was the service for the two big lumps (only 1000 ) and some carpentry help to finish the aft cabin refurbishment. Net result a choice of options. Fill both tanks (1500) and sod it all as we plough water through the Cyclades, pack up and fly back to Oxford ( cold and wet) or pretend the Bertram is a comfortable apartment with nice sea views and yachts in the back garden.
    I suppose it's a no brainer but the sea is a beautiful shade of blue, the sea is glassy smooth and I really need to hear the DD's sing to me.
    What do I do?

vas is offline Registered User

comeon, the weather will be like that for the next 3+ months
    when's the next wage/pension coming in?
    wait and plan your trip at D speeds

cheers

V

kashurst is offline Registered User

either - stick in a few 100s and go for a potter
    or - phone the credit card company

you never know what will happen next

LittleShip is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bertramdriver View Post
    I suppose it's a no brainer but the sea is a beautiful shade of blue, the sea is glassy smooth What do I do?
    The joys of displacement speeds and one to one and a half gallons per hour.

Its the joy of being on the water so put some fuel in and go and enjoy at displacement speeds. Simples eh!

Tom

Divemaster1 is online now Registered User

You'r Bertie is a nice appartment with sea view... push back and relax... have a glass of wine on that great aft deck and chill....

Consider some fuel and potter about at low speeds... as long as those turbo's don't kick in, she'll be economical (approx 1200 RPM)..

If you feel the need to hear the song of those screaming Jimmy's, do that towards the end of the pottering session and you'll still hear the song in your mind when you have that anchor dram... Life is a compromise, but to be enjoyed!!!
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Thanks guys. Feel a bit better today so off to Egina Town to buy a sunday newspaper, have a frappe cafe and watch the chaos in the harbour. There's always one who goes around collecting anchors.
    Have a coffee and think good thoughts

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

Pull up the sails for heavens sake!

Oops, wrong forum!

"Tomorrow to fresh woods and pastures new"

Quote Originally Posted by nimbusgb View Post
    Pull up the sails for heavens sake!

Oops, wrong forum!

He could always rig a mast and use the bed sheets!
    Living the dream!
    www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
    He could always rig a mast and use the bed sheets!
    Interestingly I did try a string based on the proposition to fit a mast and sails to the Bertram. Very creative responses and nothing biological thank goodness. Plan b is to explore water jets driven by DD 671's and fed on biofuel. Now there's one for Alf and Syd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertramdriver View Post
    ......pretend the Bertram is a comfortable apartment with nice sea views and yachts in the back garden.

I suppose it's a no brainer but the sea is a beautiful shade of blue, the sea is glassy smooth and I really need to hear the DD's sing to me.
    What do I do?
    Definitely a no brainer. How much fuel would you use if you tootled to the nearest nice anchorage and dropped the hook for a few days..... then the next nice anchorage...... and so on.

5 or 6 knots is fine if you get away from the need for speed. Yachties are going fast at that speed and.... As for narrowboats

You could of course sell up and downsize/downspeed, and slash running and maintenance costs.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!