Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rigger Mortice View Post
    The time is coming when we will all have a single master regulator on our boats which will drive all the LED lighting circuits at a constant voltage. There's little point in having a separate regulator for every circuit.
    I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160661910224 installed for all my lighting circuits. Gives constant, clean 12v even from flat batteries.
    Preveza Sailing Group @PrevezaSailing
    https://www.facebook.com/PrevezaSailing/

Me: Well inland. Boat: Bellanoch, Crinan Canal

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    The question is "has anyone seen any form of resistive current limited LEDs showing signs of distress on firstly an ordinary 14v regulated charge system and secondly a higher voltage smart charging system. (either battery charger or alternator control"
    That is any sort of failure let alone actual fire? As far as I know 12v LED lights are intended for a vehicle potentially on 14v charge. olewill
    Not entirely sure if this was the cause but on the last day of a charter I was helming under engine while the crew cleaned and packed away their gear.
    As it was very early we still had the interior lights on.
    After about 20 mins my blood ran cold when one of the crew stuck his head up from below and shouted FIRE.
    I never want to hear that again thank you.

It turned out to be a very hot LED downlight that had started to burn the wood around it.
    Sounds just like the OP's description to me.
    It's alright for you but, how do you Frank Ifield?

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    As far as I know 12v LED lights are intended for a vehicle potentially on 14v charge. olewill
    Not necessarily. Some are, some aren't.
    Some are designed for domestic/commercial use and are intended to be powered from a mains powered supply. They will be designed to provide the optimum light at output at 12 volts. If over powered then the heating problem can occur.

If designed for car use they will have more leeway. The problem then is, if you use them on 12 volts, rather than around 14 volts, the light output will be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbusgb View Post
    I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160661910224 installed for all my lighting circuits. Gives constant, clean 12v even from flat batteries.
    That's a nice device, thank you. Just ordered one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12