Default Size of concrete block for mooring buoy in Croatia

We are cruising the Adriatic and have moored to mooring buoys in several places. Apparently the buoys are anchored to a 700kg concrete block as a standard. Given that I have a 22 ton 49 foot boat, in what wind should I start to worry about the mooring - assuming that the tackle is OK?

Thanks

TudorSailor
    I have contributed to the Cruisers' Wiki. Have you?

We use similar size of blocks here which, being concrete, only weigh around 50% submerged. Much depends on what they're sitting on, ours tend to be half buried in sand with 22mm ground chains before the riser so they don't drag easily. If it was shale, then I would want a heavier block.

My permanent mooring in Plockton harbour is about 2000kg-just short of two tons.
    If you wany some usefull info check out any of the Newzealand Regional guidlines as they operate quite a well thought out regime for moorings.This is one for Northlands Regional Council
    http://www.nrc.govt.nz/Download/?fil...12%20(web).pdf
    Earl Hinz book on Anchoring and mooring is also worth a read-offers some calculations re. boat weight and possible snatch loads etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    We are cruising the Adriatic and have moored to mooring buoys in several places. Apparently the buoys are anchored to a 700kg concrete block as a standard. Given that I have a 22 ton 49 foot boat, in what wind should I start to worry about the mooring - assuming that the tackle is OK?

Thanks

TudorSailor
    When we had a problem in 2000 with a mooring in Croatia it wasn't the size of the block that was the problem; it was the rope that held us on to it. When it parted in an overnight storm we didn't realise that it had parted at the lower end. And found out as soon as we tried to motor out of the tiny bay we were being blown into and of course the cable slip-streamed into the propeller and stalled the engine.

The up-side of all that was that because we were on flotilla we had a lot of assistance both from the lead crew and from shore (restaurant) staff. Other yachts were also in trouble. And then the next day when we got under way and discovered a minor leak through a hole scraped in the bows we were given a replacement boat...