Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW Sunk

Default SW Sunk

Got down there yesterday; day promised so much with nice early sunshine but it ended as a gloomy, misty day but without much wind so it was ok for the purpose. Strangely lumpy for 7kts of wind down to the Spitway; couldn't see the Gunfleet wind farm until I reached the Eagle when the two new larger turbines became visible - actually handy those on the return as they were pretty much the only thing visible on the way back when I rounded the East Barrow sands. Cross the Swin was pleasant though and vis was ok to pilot down to the Barrow No 6. Never saw the London Array though once, nor indeed nothing in the Black Deep, apart from one yacht coming north and turning up the Swin towards Harwich. Pretty lonely old day except for the chatter on London VTS. If that is any measure of the economy, things are looking up.

Enough of that: Findings!

Well have people have said, it's still there but has moved north-east a little. Or rather the old track recommended in 2012 cannot be used as there is encroachment of sand up from the direction of the old SW Sunk beacon. Just like Peter (Karouise) I touched - crump, crump. Sand - slightly soft, steep to, uneven and not very large - but very there. Strange because it wasn't very large and even though I was monitoring carefully I did not have sufficient warning to stop/avoid or do anything. One moment there was 2.5ft on the sounding, next crump! Even with very little swell, not actually going hard aground, twas not pleasant.

Anyway, Mystique's knoll is still there; this time with a couple of seals on it and I think it has retreated slightly to the NE but spread wider. I did start to try a circumnavigation but though I better use my time to go over the swatchway instead. The images shows the knoll at LW with 1.3 on the tide gauge at Margate (listen in to 69 for London VTS tide broadcasts at 15 mins to and 15 mins past the hour).

[/IMG][URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/rgaspar_album/media/P1020834.jpg.html]

[/IMG][URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/rgaspar_album/media/P1020839.jpg.html]

What we have is a passage with a controlling depth of 2m at chart datum (bear in mind that there is 1m+ height of tide at LW neaps but not as much at LW springs). I have worked up two new waypoints which are on the chart which can be downloaded as usual at http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page6.html. The lines on the PDF are looking a little lumpy and I'll try and sort that to make it look a little better later on.

The yacht I mentioned coming north on my approach crossed to the NE of this charted swatchway - ie the other side of Mystique's knoll. I didn't have time to explore that (it takes two and a half hours of going backwards and forwards) but will try if we get another favourable wind/tide combination. Sorry not to be able to provide drying heights but that would require me to be down there at the top of the tide and of course from Mersea that means a plug down against the tide and a plug back against it making it a 12 hour stint rather than the 8 hour jaunt this is. Thanks to the launchman Dougie at West Mersea who hung on for me to get back so I could sleep ashore rather than on my mooring!
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Another vote for a knighthood for Roger!

Thanks

Ian
    Apogee Sabre 27, Tollesbury
    Apogee =The highest point in the development of something.

Gong!
    'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com 4th Edition now available......

Hi Roger and all

I have some pics of when we was high and dry on Mystique, I will try and find them and send them to you, not sure if I sent you the pics / video of the chart plotter.

hope no one else get caught out there

heather and steve
    Heather and Steve
    www.coverdalegroup.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by dabsolute470 View Post
    Hi Roger and all

I have some pics of when we was high and dry on Mystique, I will try and find them and send them to you, not sure if I sent you the pics / video of the chart plotter.

hope no one else get caught out there

heather and steve
    That would be good. It always manages to look pretty dismal there. Actually it's incredible to think that once where that pile of sand was, there was once 12 ft of water!
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

thanks Roger - i think i speak for lots of us when we say that that is invaluable

I wish to lay claim to the credit of having hit the bit moving up from the South first!

I did consider applying to have it called "Brigantia's Bulge" but then thought p'raps not

The new chartlet makes absolute sense of what we found on our two crossings last month, many thanks Roger
    Marine electrical engineer 07961 531633
    https://www.facebook.com/peckettmarine/info

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria, Dorset or the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Burnham Bob View Post
    thanks Roger - i think i speak for lots of us when we say that that is invaluable
    +1 and OBE at least (Other Bu**ers Efforts)
    Peter. Formerly known as Alchemist V274.

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria, Dorset or the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Brigantia View Post
    I wish to lay claim to the credit of having hit the bit moving up from the South first!

I did consider applying to have it called "Brigantia's Bulge" but then thought p'raps not
    Don't want it called Karouise's Krunch either - I was only doing 2 knots when I touched so was more of a gentle dip of the bow.
    Peter. Formerly known as Alchemist V274.

Thumbs up

Many thanks.
    Samphire Owners Association
    Samphire 23 for sale - PM me if interested

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast