Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Yup, you can definitely get voice activate PMR446 headsets

I have the same problem but fix it a different way. Get a remote for engines and thrusters, then you are down on the aft deck when berthing and you can just talk to swmbo as she is handling the lines and getting the passerelle out. Also you don't have the blind spots problem because you can see exactly your distance from the dock

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    I have the same problem but fix it a different way. Get a remote for engines and thrusters, then you are down on the aft deck...
    +1, and with an even simpler solution, i.e. helming from the lower station.
    I'm always surprised by how many people don't feel confident enough to maneuver from the main helm, though TBH in most cases it's rather the builder than the helmsman's fault.
    For some reason, most builders think that it's sufficient to have only a decent FORWARD visibility (if that)...

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    No. Why would it?

Obviously substantial obstructions between transmitter and receiver will reduce the range, like any radio. But it certainly doesn't need line of sight. When I used to bring my laptop down to the living room, it would remain connected to its bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my desk upstairs.

Pete
    Ok..live and learn !
    I just found that on the boat mobile/stereo was easily effected by any obstruction -even someone standing in the way, but maybe it depends on the power output and the b/t core standard being used. The norm is 10 metres, according to b/t spec pages.

I expect that Google will pull up the latest sat com system that will fullfill your needs. There again, perhaps you should just accept that on a 67ft flybridge its 30ft from top helm to arse end and should try shouting a bit louder. But there again that woud be so last year

Quote Originally Posted by deuc02 View Post
    and should try shouting a bit louder.
    It wasn't her being able to hear me it was that act of shouting that cause me the problem.
    SWMBO doesn't like being shouted at.
    She instinctively shouts back - and so it goes on and on and on and on and on.
    I'm sure you all know hat I mean.
    It's always my fault!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoviceRod View Post
    What has Mary done with her long piece of string?
    Don't mention string to SWMBO, Rodney.
    She has loads of "string to deal with"
    One more piece and she would wrap it round me!!

Most of the Motorola pmr devices have vox headset socket. We have a set complete with mic and earpiece on a headset and carry the pmr on a belt clip. Don't use them on the boat, but the kids have used them. Leaves hands free, but does require some adjustment on the vox sensitivity setup. Most have enough channel settings that while privacy can't be guaranteed, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Mike

One simple solution is to use the mobile phone with a (bluetooth) hands free. Cheap and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by scubaman View Post
    One simple solution is to use the mobile phone with a (bluetooth) hands free. Cheap and reliable.
    Yep, I'm working on an idea like this
    Your idea falls over if the phones are roaming - expensive connections etc.

What about two of those cheap handsfree bluetooth headsets for mobile phone's as you say.
    They would then need a bluetooth server (maybe an Android phone or something) to connect them together.
    Or maybe modify one (or find one) to be a server for the other.
    A bit like this idea http://www.cardosystems.com/cardo-bk/cardo-bk-1

Or (even closer to your idea)
    Two smart phones (Android etc) connected by some kind of VoIP connection using WiFi. Then each phone with a handsfree bluetooth headset.
    A bit fanciful - me thinks
    It's got to be easy or it won't get used.

Come on guys
    The technology exists - and its cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    It's got to be easy or it won't get used.
    2 yoghurt pots and a bit of string. I think Garmin do them in strawberry but if you really want to push the boat out (assuming the mrs can hear you telling her to let the lines go) B&g do a family sized peach melba.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast