Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Does the communication need to be two way or just for your orders from the helm to be heard?

If no need for a response I would use the boat stereo system in some way, assuming it can be heard everywhere.

Does your VHF have a PA function?

Alternatively there is a "walkie talkie" bluetooth app for Iphone that works well with an ok range. I use it with standard iphone headphones.
    Last edited by MarieK; 21-06-13 at 23:20.

How about a central device that communicates with several Bluetooth earpieces, and allows the wearers to converse with each other. If one goes out of range, it sounds an alarm.

Nothing concrete yet, but I'm considering building one if there is enough interest.

How about if the mrs doesn't do as she is told taking the mafia aproach

Nothing concrete yet but I'm thinking of building one

Edit - need another p. damn this cheap french wine

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Yep, I'm working on an idea like this
    Your idea falls over if the phones are roaming - expensive connections etc.

What about two of those cheap handsfree bluetooth headsets for mobile phone's as you say.
    They would then need a bluetooth server (maybe an Android phone or something) to connect them together.
    Or maybe modify one (or find one) to be a server for the other.
    A bit like this idea http://www.cardosystems.com/cardo-bk/cardo-bk-1

Or (even closer to your idea)
    Two smart phones (Android etc) connected by some kind of VoIP connection using WiFi. Then each phone with a handsfree bluetooth headset.
    A bit fanciful - me thinks
    It's got to be easy or it won't get used.

Come on guys
    The technology exists - and its cheap
    This http://www.asterisk.org/ or something similar might work, but as you say, quite a lot of moving parts...

That cardo seemed interesting, i wonder about the 500 mtr range though. In any case should be enough for a boat. That might be the answer?

Re mobile phone: I don't know the general roaming charges around there, but i would imagine it would take quite a few berthings to off-set the cost of a dedicated radio system? On the plus side you have simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieK View Post
    Does the communication need to be two way or just for your orders from the helm to be heard?

If no need for a response I would use the boat stereo system in some way, assuming it can be heard everywhere.

Does your VHF have a PA function?

Alternatively there is a "walkie talkie" bluetooth app for Iphone that works well with an ok range. I use it with standard iphone headphones.
    Two way is essential - Duplex would also be useful - i.e. both being able to talk at the same time.
    Yes - our VHF does have a PA function and I do use it - but only works when SWMBO is on the bow.

The "walkie talkie" app seems the best "off the shelf" idea at the moment but does seem a little complex to set up when you need it quickly.
    Ideally, you just want to grab a couple of headsets and use them.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
    How about a central device that communicates with several Bluetooth earpieces, and allows the wearers to converse with each other. If one goes out of range, it sounds an alarm.

Nothing concrete yet, but I'm considering building one if there is enough interest.
    Yep - thats exactly the idea that I think would work.
    I think it could be describe as a Bluetooth server.
    Perhaps the hardware could be a smart phone placed strategically somewhere.
    Then, maybe, just picking up a couple of headsets would work simply - maybe.

However, I'm not sure you can pair more than one device to a bluetooth connection.

Yes - our VHF does have a PA function and I do use it - but only works when SWMBO is on the bow.
    If she doesn't like you raising your voice slightly, I'm amazed she tolerates being ordered about over a megaphone!

Pete

Two way is essential - Duplex would also be useful - i.e. both being able to talk at the same time.
    Assuming your VHF PA has talkback function, how about a second speaker in the cockpit and a switch to select bow or cockpit?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast