Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Failing that, these might be okay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobra-MT61...item4171c9f52f

If that doesn't link properly, it is eBay item 281081935151

Edit, meant to say also that headsets, in ear with boom, available for £10 for these, also on eBay.
    Last edited by MikeBrazier; 22-06-13 at 20:18. Reason: Forgot a bit of other info

I have the solution. Completely free of charge.

Swap boats with me. She'll be able to hear you then

Your boats too big you see.

I'll be able to tolerate it as Mrs E never listens to me anyway.

Mike

Have a word with BartW. He has some radios with headsets on BA. They work well.

I had a similar problem today
    Lifted the anchor at a nice little anchorage and I think one of the chain links must have got stuck so that the winch wouldn't operate.
    SWMBO had the problem in hand and was skurrying around in the chain locker sorting it out.
    I didn't have a clue what was happening and the anchor had just broken out of the bottom so we were adrift in a tightish anchorage with other boats around.
    I have to say that she had the matter in hand but it would have been useful to if I had understood the problem.
    Two way headset communication would have definitely helped.

However, they must be easy to use - in this case we would have only used them if they were a simple "grab and use" option

I would have thought something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midland-LXT1...-/280759665424 would do the job.

The clip in ear headset means hands free listening and a simple push to talk button in easy reach.

I have custom in ear headsets made for me for the race car which are lovely because they fit securely and the sound quality is excellent but that's going a bit beyond your needs and increasing the budget. Each set of earpieces costs more than this whole kit !

You could pretend to be CIA agents as well

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

Two way headset communication would have definitely helped.

However, they must be easy to use - in this case we would have only used them if they were a simple "grab and use" option
    Poor Mary, she gets all the good jobs...!

Didn't you use the PA and listen back on the fog horn? I recall that worked well on JW when we were picking up that deep water buoy in the Columbretes?
    SEALINE F43 - CORAL RAE

This problem has already been sorted.....

"Bridge to Engine Room...send up two teas, one Julie Andrews one Whoopee Goldberg"

Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

I've revived this thread because I've had a bit of success.
    In fact verging on the side of BRILLIANT
    A DIY - in boat - communications system using a headset - exactly as I explained in my first post on this thread.

Since starting this thread, I have often spent a few hours browsing to see if anything new has popped up.
    Last month, a friend showed me this link http://www.panbo.com/archives/2014/0...th_update.html
    Which shows details of bespoke kit designed to address the problem.
    However, this solution is a bit pricy - especially if it doesn't work or gets ignored by SWMBO - then it would be a complete waste of money.

Anyway, earlier in the summer, I had already started to put a solution together.
    It was unfortunate that an important item that I needed came from the US and got held up in extra security so, I wasn't able to build anything in time for our summer cruise.
    But we got home for a few days in the middle of August and it was all waiting for me to put together.

So this is the kit of parts that I used

2 of these from Amazon - Bluetooth Headsets - the electronics on these will be discarded.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 pack of these from B & Q - Black Plastic Castor Cups
    http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-bl.../241753_BQ.prd

2 of these - Motorcycle Headsets - this site implies that they are in the UK but in fact they are shipped from the US
    http://uk.cellphoneshop.net/motorcycle.html

My original plan was to use the "Bluetooth Headsets" and connect them electronically to the "Motorcycle Headsets"
    But it was a fairly easy job to pull the "Bluetooth Headsets" apart and fit the "Motorcycle Headsets" in place of the Bluetooth Headset's electronics.

The Black Plastic Castor Cups from B&Q are just the right size to connect the Motorcycle Headsets to the frame left after the Bluetooth Headsets electronics have been removed.

So thats
    £16.99 each for the Bluetooth Headsets
    £2.98 for Black Plastic Castor Cups
    and £17.35 each for the Motorcycle Headsets

These Motorcycle Headsets are great - they use the Class 1 Bluetooth standard to communicate thus giving them a range of 100 yards or so.
    Well within the range that we want on the boat.

Here are some pics of my solution

So, to use them, you simply switch them on (by pressing and holding a button for 8 secs) and then put them on your head.
    It is that simple.

And we have even started using them for setting and recovering the anchor. When anchoring in the islands, we look for a turquoise patch of water and drop the anchor over it. SWMBO always uses the curly wire hand remote on the bow and directs me to maneuver the boat accordingly. She also directs me when we recover the anchor so that we keep any load on the windlass to a minimum. Using these headsets, it is MUCH easier to communicate - you wouldn't believe how much easier it is until you have experienced it.

These DIY headsets are so good that I can now justify the expense of the ones reviewed in Panbo in the link above.
    However, these work so well that I don't think I will need to buy the purpose made ones anyway.

There is one very small enhancement - to see if it all worked, I simply used the double sided sticky and velcro that came with the Motorcycle Kit.
    I'm on the boat at the moment but I will be bringing the headsets home and fit them more securely using small nuts and bolts - just to make the whole thing more robust.

As I said in my first post, SWMBO and I often stern berth JW on our own and during the exercise, I loose sight of her. It is much better to chat between each other so that we know what each of us is doing - this solution also keeps one ear free so that she can communicate with dockmasters etc - in fact the microphones are so good, I can hear what they are saying back to her (through her mic).

We had our kids out last week and they used these headsets as well - this is a real step forward so safe docking/anchoring.
    You really wouldn't believe how good they are unless you experience it.
    We will definitely be using them.

Very interesting thanks for posting I have been mulling over this issue for anchoring more safely/less arguments - I looked at the sena website and the ones in the Panbo report are 189Euro per pair so........

Wireless CCTV + HH VHF ?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast