Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: In boat communications

Has anyone mentioned a pair of DECT phones that can page each other and have bluetooth headsets?

Or a DECT headset?

http://www.theheadsetcompany.co.uk/c...reless-headset
    Last edited by KevB; 17-09-15 at 10:37.

Last edited by KevB; 17-09-15 at 11:00.

+1 for the Sena SPH10 sets.

Yes not cheap but worth every penny to ensure harmony on the boat.

Both swimbo and myself are getting the start of hearing problems and these units overcome the problem completely.

Same here - now SWMBO can definitely hear me when I shout at her!

Quote Originally Posted by dodfisher View Post
    Same here - now SWMBO can definitely hear me when I shout at her!

You're a very brave man

Last season we were using 2 x Icon restricted radio units and were reversing into our berth and of course the large crowd of onlooker had gathered.

Once in and stern lines on I go down to the bow to do the bow lines.

Giving my instructions to slacken the stern lines and getting no response I commenced repeating myself in ever louder voice.

After a little while a raging ball of fury called a swimbo came flying down the side deck yelling 'turn your f"""""g radio on.

I've never forgotten since

The big problem with that solution is VOX activation.
    Essentially that solution is simplex - the kit I built is full duplex.

Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    +1 for the Sena SPH10 sets.

Yes not cheap but worth every penny to ensure harmony on the boat.

Both swimbo and myself are getting the start of hearing problems and these units overcome the problem completely.
    I suggested the Sena SPH10 sets in a report that I wrote in MBY.
    So far, I've only used my DIY solution - I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money and find that we didn't use them.
    The DIY ones have been so good that I will probably buy some Sena ones for next year.
    The DIY solution works well but the batteries don't last that long and they are probably not as robust as the Sena ones.

People reading this should try this type of wireless headsets.
    Once you have experienced how well they work, you will definitely want some.

Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    A friend of mine in the USA sent this to me:

"We have had the EarTec 24G devices for many years. Lately, we have had problems with them and were frustrated. Today, I went online to research an alternate...Motorola or Sena... While searching I thought ... Why can't I do this with Bluetooth on our iPhones using the ear buds with mike that came with my iPhone. I found a solution that works like a gem! No need to make a call or use Internet! Yes, it is as easy as down loading a free app and then purchasing the .99 cent hands free option. It works better then I ever could have imagined. I even walked way down the dock, 100 yards, and it worked real well. Not using Internet, just Bluetooth! It took about 5 minutes to get the whole thing set up with both iPhones.

The app is called Walkie Talkie - WiFi & Bluetooth by Porchlight. Down load the app on both phones. Touch the hands free button and then purchase the .99 cent option. Turn on the Bluetooth under settings on your phone. Then go back to the app and both phone will look for the other...and connect. If other phones in the area are using this app, just chose the Bluetooth phone you want and it will connect. Put your phone in your pocket and start talking...no more yelling!!!

So, for under two dollars you can have the BEST two way communication! The only suggestion I have is to get holster or pouch for your iPhone...You don't want to drop it in the water!

Piers
    When I tried that technique, I found that there was an unacceptable delay.
    The Walkie Talkie apps I tried "stream" the communication so they have to buffer - consequently causing delays.
    Some delayed as long as 1 second - definitely unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I suggested the Sena SPH10 sets in a report that I wrote in MBY.
    So far, I've only used my DIY solution - I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money and find that we didn't use them.
    The DIY ones have been so good that I will probably buy some Sena ones for next year.
    The DIY solution works well but the batteries don't last that long and they are probably not as robust as the Sena ones.

People reading this should try this type of wireless headsets.
    Once you have experienced how well they work, you will definitely want some.
    Hi Mike,

It was as a result of reading your report that I purchased 4 sets from Amazon and now the whole crew can hear what is being said at any one time.
    1st class product that works better than I expected.
    A good aspect of the design is that it fits behind the neck and over the ears so there is a greatly reduced risk of the set falling overboard.
    Many thanks to you for bringing harmony to the boat during mooring activities.

Downside, when swimbo is getting the fenders in or sorting out ropes etc you can hear all the grunting and groaning going on. She also swears a lot because she forgets that I can hear her at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    Downside, when swimbo is getting the fenders in or sorting out ropes etc you can hear all the grunting and groaning going on. She also swears a lot because she forgets that I can hear her at all times.
    Yep - you've got it.
    I get comments like "whoever put this rope away in MY locker needs to be shot"
    And as you say, you get all the grunting but - think about it - whilst she's talking she's ok

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast