Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MK
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Must get a set, I can't see the stern of my F43 without turning my head 90 degrees, blast I must look at that reversing camera one day; it will save SWMBO shouting: 'over to Starboard, no Port, no Starboard, aaaaarh abandon ship, we're all going to die.....'
    SEALINE F43 - CORAL RAE

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,834

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Quote Originally Posted by John100156 View Post
    Must get a set, I can't see the stern of my F43 without turning my head 90 degrees, blast I must look at that reversing camera one day; it will save SWMBO shouting: 'over to Starboard, no Port, no Starboard, aaaaarh abandon ship, we're all going to die.....'
    Whoops - there goes another pontoon power supply.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    15,150

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Ordered ours today. Should take some of the stress out of picking up moorings etc. as you rightly said, shouting isn't good!

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,520

    Default Re: In boat communications

    No, shouting isn't good. you need a system of hand signals.....
    foredeck crew.jpg

  5. #75
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    15,150

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty John View Post
    No, shouting isn't good. you need a system of hand signals.....
    foredeck crew.jpg
    We already have those!

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MK
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Whoops - there goes another pontoon power supply.
    You just have to blame the crew....... Mind you, I am told Keith took out a power pole with his F43 not so long ago, which cost him a few pounds to repair and he can't blame the Tender..! Now I am just trying to remember where else I saw some minor GRP repairs going on in the marina recently.....
    SEALINE F43 - CORAL RAE

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,834

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Old thread

    I've just received this email from Nigel who sells the Sena Headsets.
    Not sure that I agree with the logic but I said I would pass the message on.

    Dear Mike,
    I have just had a conversation with the technical chap at Sena regarding how to extend the life of the batteries.
    They feel one of the principle problems which have been surfacing in the recent past is the plug rating people are using. Originally they were content to recommend that people could use the same USB plug as people were using for their mobile phones, however the rating of these plugs has been increasing especially those with a quick charge option.
    The ideal rating should be between 500 and 1000 ma. The rating on some plugs has increased to between 3000 and 5000 ma; this will certainly damage the battery if not destroy it.

    One other cautionary note is to make sure that people avoid leaving their headsets sitting in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time which can cause the suggested margins for their operation are considerably exceeded; i.e. the system is cooked!
    I do not know whether you wanted to pass this information on?
    Kind regards
    Nigel

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands
    Posts
    3,391

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Old thread

    I've just received this email from Nigel who sells the Sena Headsets.
    Not sure that I agree with the logic but I said I would pass the message on.

    Dear Mike,
    I have just had a conversation with the technical chap at Sena regarding how to extend the life of the batteries.
    They feel one of the principle problems which have been surfacing in the recent past is the plug rating people are using. Originally they were content to recommend that people could use the same USB plug as people were using for their mobile phones, however the rating of these plugs has been increasing especially those with a quick charge option.
    The ideal rating should be between 500 and 1000 ma. The rating on some plugs has increased to between 3000 and 5000 ma; this will certainly damage the battery if not destroy it.

    One other cautionary note is to make sure that people avoid leaving their headsets sitting in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time which can cause the suggested margins for their operation are considerably exceeded; i.e. the system is cooked!
    I do not know whether you wanted to pass this information on?
    Kind regards
    Nigel
    Hmmm. I bought a couple of the SENA headsets and after one season of not too much use, the battery life has become poor, especially on one of the headsets. The issue is that although it seems a reasonably OK task to change the batteries (see: ) SENA will not give the details of the battery make/model. Hence, Nigel isn't able to help unless the sets are returned. Seems a weakness in the construction to me.

    However, for the last month, I've been charging and discharging from one extreme to the other in the hope of killing any 'memory' and will see what they are like on our next cruise.

    BTW, I use a mains charger, not the USB charge points.

    I think that if I have to change, I'll try another make.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,834

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    I think that if I have to change, I'll try another make.
    I'm not sure that there is much to choose from, Piers.
    Have a look back in this thread (#38) and you will see how it all started.
    I was looking for a solution and the only way I could do it at the time was to build my own.
    Having said, I think there has been an alternative but when I looked, it didn't do what I wanted.

    We are going out to the boat later this week so I will charge our Sena ones and see how long the batteries last.
    I'm sure it is possible to change the batteries if they have failed.
    I was out on a boat with Nigel last week - if there is a problem, I'm sure he will help.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands
    Posts
    3,391

    Default Re: In boat communications

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I was out on a boat with Nigel last week - if there is a problem, I'm sure he will help.
    Nigel has been as helpful as he can be but he cannot ascertain the battery details from SENA for the SPH10. Such a nuisance, and to have to send them them back for a battery replacement isn't on. I've tried to find the battery detail and the closest I've come is here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...placement.html but I haven't a reply, yet.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to