Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: In boat communications

Here's one option if you haven't seen these before, look much more bulky than the Sena but this one review rates them better in windy conditions on a boat:

https://www.altendorff.co.uk/archives/tag/bluetooth

http://eartec.com/ultralitepg1.html

We have been using the see marine system for a year or so which has worked well.

https://www.see-marine.co.uk/crew-in...-crew-intercom

The headphones are starting to give up the ghost as they are a little lightweight. Searching for repalcements I have got myself mega confused. The units the headphones plug into connect via Bluetooth but I am unsure if a set of Blue tooth head phones could be used with these units that currently connect via a jack plug. If we do need to connect via a jack plug then presumably the headphones must be duplex rather than PTT.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by pks1702; 19-05-19 at 16:41.

Quote Originally Posted by pks1702 View Post
    We have been using the see marine system for a year or so which has worked well.

https://www.see-marine.co.uk/crew-in...-crew-intercom

The headphones are starting to give up the ghost as they are a little lightweight. Searching for repalcements I have got myself mega confused. The units the headphones plug into connect via Bluetooth but I am unsure if a set of Blue tooth head phones could be used with these units that currently connect via a jack plug. If we do need to connect via a jack plug then presumably the headphones must be duplex rather than PTT.

Any ideas?
    Yikes, I hadn't seen that Sea Marine item but another example of raping the marine customers.

That looks identical to the Vnetphone V4C intercoms that I just purchased. Open Comms between up to 4 units, I purchased 3 units for £121. A little over £40 each which is very realistic for what it actually is.

In regards headphones, I think these are just combination headphone and microphone units. You do not want Bluetooth headsets and you do not want PTT. I'm not sure what plugs are on regular telephone headsets (used in call centres etc) but worth taking a look.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.C View Post

That looks identical to the Vnetphone V4C intercoms that I just purchased.
    I have these and they work well. Only advice is that the mic lead is too sort to keep the unit in a pocket, so I bought some armbands.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I have these and they work well. Only advice is that the mic lead is too sort to keep the unit in a pocket, so I bought some armbands.
    The V4C is sold for sports referee use and comes with over the ear headset and arm band to hold the unit. So should be everything you need.

Yikes, I hadn't seen that Sea Marine item but another example of raping the marine customers.

That looks identical to the Vnetphone V4C intercoms that I just purchased. Open Comms between up to 4 units, I purchased 3 units for £121. A little over £40 each which is very realistic for what it actually is.

In regards headphones, I think these are just combination headphone and microphone units. You do not want Bluetooth headsets and you do not want PTT. I'm not sure what plugs are on regular telephone headsets (used in call centres etc) but worth taking a look.

Richard
    Definitely the case Richard I found that while searching around over the last couple of days - grrr. Still I have to say they work well but the Ear Piece and Mic are not the most robust hence the need to replace. My thinking was along the lines of your view i.e. not PTT - Thanks.

As I've indicated before, the SENA was really good but only whilst the batteries were good. But the batteries quickly began to lose their ability to hold charge and are now next to useless sice you cannot replace the batteries, and neither can the UK dealer - they have to go back to the US.

From experience, separate headset and transmitter (whether on the belt or otherwise) is a pain, as is PTT. My preference is now leaning towards the Eartec Ultra Lite which fulfils both key criteria. My only reservation is whether they may fall off when leaning froward doing fenders. Any user experience of this?
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

[QUOTE=Piers;6791443]As I've indicated before, the SENA was really good but only whilst the batteries were good. But the batteries quickly began to lose their ability to hold charge and are now next to useless sice you cannot replace the batteries, and neither can the UK dealer - they have to go back to the US.

Interesting comment Piers. We have had SENA units for three years now and they still seem to be going strong. How long did the batteries survive for you? A bit of a piece of string question given none of us will know how much they have been used.

BTW I agree entirely that single units and definitely no PTT are essential. Best boating accessory we have ever invested in.

[QUOTE=IDAMAY;6791596]
    Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    As I've indicated before, the SENA was really good but only whilst the batteries were good. But the batteries quickly began to lose their ability to hold charge and are now next to useless sice you cannot replace the batteries, and neither can the UK dealer - they have to go back to the US.

Interesting comment Piers. We have had SENA units for three years now and they still seem to be going strong. How long did the batteries survive for you? A bit of a piece of string question given none of us will know how much they have been used.

BTW I agree entirely that single units and definitely no PTT are essential. Best boating accessory we have ever invested in.
    Less than one season which is why I'm so disappointed. Sabreleisure did all they could to try and find how to change the batteries and with which battery, but the US was unhelful. At the moment they will last about 10 minutes before becoming scratchy and 5 minutes later, failing.

So form my point of view, I will not be buying SENA again. hence, looking at Eartec although their headsets are nowhere near as ergonomic for boat use.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Richard
    Richard, can I ask where you bought your V4C units at that price?

Thanks
    Andy

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast