Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    wipe_out is offline Registered User

Default Which household products contain enough oxalic acid?

I want to clean some rust stains off the GRP this weekend.. It's too late to order oxalic acid online and be sure to get it by Friday afternoon so I need to get something from the high street..

The usual selection of shops around eg. Sainsburys, Tesco, Wickes, Halfords etc..

I have looked at the Harpic toilet cleaner with lime scale remover and it contains Hydrochloric acid.. Other cleaners in the house I have looked at have citric acid but nothing so far with oxalic acid..

Which household products available in these stores would have a high enough concentration of oxalic acid to do the job??

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by wipe_out View Post
    I want to clean some rust stains off the GRP this weekend.. It's too late to order oxalic acid online and be sure to get it by Friday afternoon so I need to get something from the high street..

The usual selection of shops around eg. Sainsburys, Tesco, Wickes, Halfords etc..

I have looked at the Harpic toilet cleaner with lime scale remover and it contains Hydrochloric acid.. Other cleaners in the house I have looked at have citric acid but nothing so far with oxalic acid..

Which household products available in these stores would have a high enough concentration of oxalic acid to do the job??

Thanks..
    how about oxalic acid from a chemist
    or boil up some rhubarb leaves
    I may be wrong but not always

AngusMcDoon is online now Registered User

Or Y10 from a chandlers if you can get to one.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    how about oxalic acid from a chemist
    +1 Any chemist can order it in (usually next day) but not all are willing to do so. I've had more luck with independents who don't seem to be tied down with Head Office rules.

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by wipe_out View Post

Thanks..
    I am not aware of any household products which contain oxalic acid. Far too dangerous. iirc Seajet got a splash or two on himself and it nearly killed him!

The Harpic limescale remover contains HCl as you have discovered.

Cillit Bang Lime and Grime contains sulphamic acid. Just this week used that to effectively clean some heavy rust staining and deposits from a length of rope.

Citric acid will do it but less effectively than oxalic.
    Last edited by VicS; 03-07-13 at 21:22.

Alpha22 is offline Registered User

Bar Keepers Friend is available from some of the bigger Asda's. Not sure about other supermarkets.

wipe_out is offline Registered User

Thanks for the chemist suggestion.. Don't know why I didn't think to try that.. I think there is an independent one that may get it for me.. Failing that I might need to make a detour to ASDA on the way to the boat..

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

I had no luck whatsoever with chemists, chain or independent.Most had no idea what I was talking about.
    Get Astonish cream oven cleaner. Safe on GRP. I cleaned up all the decks (including bad rust stains) on my motor boat with it.

Woodlouse is offline Registered User

Why don't you just pop into a chandlery and buy some rust stain remover?

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I am not aware of any household products which contain oxalic acid. Far too dangerous. iirc Seajet got a splash or two on himself and it nearly killed him!

The Harpic limescale remover contains HCl as you have discovered.

Cillit Bang Lime and Grime contains sulphamic acid. Just this week used that to effectively clean some heavy rust staining and deposits from a length of rope.

Citric acid will do it but less effectively than oxalic.
    Sadly, recent formulations of Cillit Bang Lime and Grime don't remove rust stains - confirmed with correspondence with Reckits.