Thread: IRC Handicap

Default IRC Handicap

Does any one know of a site that lists IRC handicaps or failing that what the handicap of a Halcyon 27 is?
    Thankyou in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: IRC Handicap

IRC? I am also after imfo on handicaps. Is the IRC anything like the plymouth yard stick? If so RYA have a downloadbale list but thing wont download for me.......crappy computer does not help! If i find the Halycon 27 number I will swap for the Alacrity 18.6!

happy hunting!

<hr width=100% size=1>

IRC? I am also after imfo on handicaps. Is the IRC anything like the plymouth yard stick? If so RYA have a downloadbale list but thing wont download for me.......crappy computer does not help! If i find the Halycon 27 number I will swap for the Alacrity 18.6!

happy hunting!

<hr width=100% size=1>

I don't know of a site that lists these online. If you are lucky you can check the racing sites (e.g. Island Sailing Club for RTIR or RORC) and you might find an example listed there.

I think RORC do publish all information on currently rated boats - and many sailmakers will have that information - or you could contact the RORC rating office themselves and they may be able to supply the details of a sister ship.

Unless there are tight class rules, then the IRC rating is individual to each vessel, so there is not guarantee that you will rate the same as another boat of the same make.

As a wild guess I would imagine the Halcyon is about 0.81 ish

<hr width=100% size=1>

Davy_S is offline Registered User

There was an article in Sailing today March 2000. It compared some folkboat types.It used the RYA Portsmouth yardstick. Results-- Contessa 26 Halcyon 27 Invicta 26 Folksong, original folkboat, and Vega 27. All were grouped around 1050 the Vega a bit better at 1098. hope this may help.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jules is offline Registered User

One big difference between PY and IRC is that in IRC the boat has to be weighed.
    Your boat will not be the same as anyone else's.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Can not help on the IRC, but checked Falmouth week entries and we were running Halcyon 27's on PY as 1159.

Why are you looking at IRC rating ?

Brian

<hr width=100% size=1>

spark is offline Registered User

You could have a look on the RORC website - they administer the IRC ratings - http://www.rorcrating.com/

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.qei.co.uk/spark.html>http://www.qei.co.uk/spark.html</A>

I've just checked for our boat this week with the RYA girls in the PYS office; there is no read across for IRC to PYS or vice versa.

Fin

<hr width=100% size=1>
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience

DavidBolger is offline Registered User

From what I understand the IRC handicap differs for each boat as they are all weighed and measured. Therefore, I could never get a comprehensive list. In Ireland, we use a system called ECHO which uses as a starting point a standard ECHO handicap. This standard ECHO is based upon the average IRC rating for boats in that class so this standard is pretty close to the IRC which you may get for your boat. There is a list of the ECHO standards on the Irish sailing website - www.sailing.ie and just look under racing and ECHO. The Halcyon 27 is not listed I'm afraid but if you look through the list you may find it listed under a different name.

regards

David

<hr width=100% size=1>