Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default RLM Marine Ltd. Info/history help

Hi,
    I'm a happy owner of a 1970 RLM Bahama and I'd love to find out more about the company that built it and the boats they made, how long they were in business for and production figures etc.

There's a scan of the original brochure at http://www.leomagill.co.uk/ which advertises boats from 27 to 43ft. Has anyone seen a 43ft RLM before? I'm intrigued to see what it looked like.

Did the RLM31 become the Princess32, or was that the Project ? I'd really appreciate any info members, owners or former owners could share.
    Thankyou

Mat

Might be worth posting this on the Thames Forum as well.

Marine Projects (Which became Princess) built the Project 31, moulds sold to Senior Marine and RLM of the orignal while Marine Projects rebranded it as the Princess 32 with a new supertructure, RLM 27 was a cut'n shut 31. The same hull was also stretched to 33 with an aft cabin. Never heard of a 43 though. be interested to know what it was based on.

Marine projects bought Senior mouldings until 1969 when they started moulding there own, they then built the Princess 32 (same hull new top).
    The Senior hull was based on a stretched widened Elisian 27.
    The quickest way to distinguish is the rlm has portholes under the bow and the project has rebates in the toe rail to fit stantion posts, the Project has deep moulded keels and a thicker layup while the rlm has shallow timber keels.
    The Senior has the keels the particular builder fitted.

I had the same boat as yours for a few years.It had Perkins 4108's with Enfield legs.I did a restoration job on it,though not as extensive as yours.It was my second boat, having owned a Nauticus 27 before.I thought it was real boat and used it on the Thames Dartmouth and river Severn.The RLM was the owner of the company that built them.Ronald Lesley Maskel and I think they were based in Chertsey.As you say they built 27ft Seyshells, 31ft Bahama, 33ft Entice.One thing I was anoyed about was that all the screws used in its manufacture were 'sheradised'. A process where they coated the steel screws with zinc.not a good idea in a boat.It cost me a fortune in brass screws.I also replaced both engines as the old ones were only raw water cooled and had rusted away from the inside.I got them from a comercial van breakers they were Transit engines.
    I hope you enjoy your boat as I did many years ago.

That's great, I wondered what the initials stood for. I reused a lot of the old screws as most of mine were stainless, except for the cockpit which was 'sheridised' and rotten. Two things I've learnt today, cheers!

We love her, she's the perfect boat for our needs and this year has been even more enjoyable after the renovations. It's a nice feeling when you get to know your own boat inside and out too.

Photos ? Would love to see what She looks like. Marine Projects also moulded the fabulous Sigma range of yachts.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

I'll try and post a couple of pictures from my iPad. How do you post an image on this forum using photobucket?
    Last edited by Actionmat; 10-09-13 at 22:06.

I was involved in the building of RLM Cruisers from their start in 1967 to their closure in 1982. It all began because Mr. Maskell wanted a new boat of his own and he had joiners in his other businesses. From one boat it grew to two and then four and finally RLM Cruisers became a business with a vast turnover and a great export business to Scandinavia. I have many happy memories of days at Penton Hook Marina Boatyard meeting customers of a weekend and discussing how they would like their boats build. Although there were some standard designs most of the boats were individually built to suit whatever the customer wanted and they were invited to view the boat each weekend as it made progress.

Oh happy days :-)

Hi the RLM and Marine projects were based on the Senior marine hull built at Kemps Quay in Southampton.
    I have all the sales and brochures for these and Im based in the laminating shed where they were built.

Nothing on the RLM though but info on the Senior models

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast