Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yes, most of the RLM boats were built on Senior Hulls & Superstructures. The 31' was the start, which was used by Marine Projects as well, and then the 32' aft cabin and aft cockpit. This then progressed to the 33' which had a flush deck aft cabin - I think it was a stretched version of the 32'. The 27' was a cut back version of the 31'. We also built one 34' which was on a Seamaster hull and superstructure and then of course our 43'.

I cannot recall what moulding we used for this but I do recall it was an excellent sea going craft. With a round bilge at the stern and a medium vee at the front it was capable of comfortable speeds in excess of 22 knots.

You must have known what was then a young Robert Kemp. I recall him designing a very fast day boat at one point and exhibiting it on our stand at the London Boat Show. He was very proud of this boat until someone pointed out that you couldn't put it into reverse because there was no room to pull the single lever controls back. We all had a good laugh at that one and I think only one potential customer actually noticed the fault so nothing was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    How do you post an image on this forum using photobucket?
    With the following syntax:
    [IMG]url of the pic you want to show in your post[/IMG]

Hi Knew senior partially as I was young.....he didnt like kids lol. I know Bob Kemp junior who is now senior well as I pay him rent.

My father owns one of the last Senior 31's built for the harbour board to charter the area when the container berth was being built in the docks.

Did you build Frank Verrils 32 that he did the Cowes Torquay in???

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    I'll try and post a couple of pictures from my iPad. How do you post an image on this forum using photobucket?
    looks superb!

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryman View Post
    Hi Knew senior partially as I was young.....he didnt like kids lol. I know Bob Kemp junior who is now senior well as I pay him rent.

My father owns one of the last Senior 31's built for the harbour board to charter the area when the container berth was being built in the docks.

Did you build Frank Verrils 32 that he did the Cowes Torquay in???
    We used to maintain Frank Verrill's "Pippiri II" for many years until he sold it. The Ford Sabres were always blowing turbo's and the engines were eventually downrated. He once shipped a "green" wave over the bow which broke the forward coachroof window and swamped the interior - an expensive insurance claim. The wooden keel was always a bit flimsy and care had to be taken when lifting the boat out of the water.
    Always got on well with Bob Kemp senior !

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    looks superb!
    Thanks! A lot of sweat's gone into that

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryman View Post
    Hi the RLM and Marine projects were based on the Senior marine hull built at Kemps Quay in Southampton.
    I have all the sales and brochures for these and Im based in the laminating shed where they were built.

Nothing on the RLM though but info on the Senior models
    Hi, Sorry to jump in on this thread but mercuryman you say you have information on the Senior models. I have just purchased a Senior 31 that needs a refit, I would be very grateful of any information that would aid me in restoring and adding to her.

Thanks Baz

Default Re: RLM Marine Ltd. Info/history help

Hi all, can't beat dragging up an old thread.....
    Just come across this thread, glad to see someone's made use of my webpage and very interested to hear info from the original builders of my own RLM 31, I've been told the name on mine was sign written at the factory, don't suppose anyone can enlighten me about Leo Magill's origins by any chance?
    Mine may well be put up for sale in the near future as I'm looking for something faster with better sea-keeping but I will miss Leo when it happens, done a lot of miles in her and had a good few adventures.
    Dave.

I had a Senior 31 (Blue Maroy) that I rebuilt in the 70s. Two were entered in the 1969 Round Britain Power Boat Race with big (for then) engines under the Name Ford-Power or similar. I heard that they started receiving extensive damage on the first leg and were withdrawn. My 31 took me across the channel on many occasions with her awful 4107s so no worries about high speed hull damage!
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Just read all the posts here as I’m a proud RLM 32 Entice owner, currently on the hard standing at Penton Hook not 25m away from where she was built in the old hanger.
    I tried to start up a RLM owners club back in 2002 but no interest – I’ve learned loads about the boat since and I’ve upgraded her a number of time since I’ve owned her – she’s going through another upgrade now.

Original built as the John William in 1976, she was after a time sold to a Company that made electric motors and her name changed to Electro Mare. The latter had her moored in Poole Harbour for some time and then sold her to me in July 1999 – I changed her name to Ecquitee because I took money from the house to buy it and the original Equity was already Pt1.

She has Kemp, fully planning V hull used for the around Britain Powerboat Races in the 60’s. RLM originally fitted 2.5 BMC’s with Enfield drives, I changed the engines in 2001 to Peugeot 1.7 Turbo diesels still on Enfield’s. The Enfield‘s were very ‘brittle’ when it came to the steering arms, OK for rivers and canals but not reliable enough for Estuary or indeed, coastal work with a nearly 8T boat. In 2004 I bought a pair of Volvo 290’s complete and married these to the Peugeot’s – a good and very reliable match until in 2011 I found a pair of Volvo AD41’s c/w 290 DP drives. Just like the Peugeot’s they were completely stripped, assessed and re-assembled with new parts fitted where required. WOW! I’ve never powered up her beyond 30 knots – but there’s lots left.

I’ve upgraded and re-configured the Saloon over time, refurbished (removed) the wooden wheelhouse, complete rewire and now I’ve just replaced some of the Eroko handrails and I’m TekDek-ing the walkways and bathing platform.

I’ve had this boat in all weathers and I must say it’s kept us safe – We’ve stayed faithful to her as she’s been to us. What a great boat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast