Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: RLM Marine Ltd. Info/history help

I doubt she displaces anywhere near 8 tons, less than 4 is most likely.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    I doubt she displaces anywhere near 8 tons, less than 4 is most likely.
    Bahama 31's were 4T dry, 5T with water and fuel. This boat has a back cabin, 4 fuel tanks, 2 x heavy 6 Cyl engines and Volvo Outdrives. And then there are the spares and other equipment that I carry. The hull is min 10mm everywhere, this was a hull designed to punch through a sea. Like you, I didn't imagine the boat would be that heavy but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by leomagill View Post
    Hi all, can't beat dragging up an old thread.....
    Just come across this thread, glad to see someone's made use of my webpage and very interested to hear info from the original builders of my own RLM 31, I've been told the name on mine was sign written at the factory, don't suppose anyone can enlighten me about Leo Magill's origins by any chance?
    Mine may well be put up for sale in the near future as I'm looking for something faster with better sea-keeping but I will miss Leo when it happens, done a lot of miles in her and had a good few adventures.
    Dave.
    Leo Magill was owned back in the 70s - 80s by Malcolm and Gill Kenworthy they had a dog called Leo and thats where the name came from . Their next boat was just called Magill after the dog passed away. The boat was originally moored at wallasea Island on the Crouch and cruised with the Essex marina club . Later Malcolm and Gill moved up river to North Fambridge and Malcolm was club commadore at west wick yacht club.

Hope that helps

Just a quick reply as I should be working now! I was really interested to read all the threads about the history of RLM.
    I have an RLM Entice aft cockpit, Arctic Fox. We have owned the boat since late 2003 and have extensively restored her. I believe the Entice was based on a Senior Sheerline hull or two versions of it. Our boat has the optional 3" extra headroom and is fitted with Nissan Chrysler SD33 6 cylinder diesels with badged up volvo 275 outdrives.
    We were based on the Medway in 2004,5 and 6 and moved round to Bray on the Thames late 2006. We have just moved the boat back to the Medway after 9 years on the Thames. She has spent almost every winter on the hard standing at Penton hook and I have got to know Steve and Jeff at the trim shop and recently their brother Gary (I think). Jeff and Gary used to make covers for the new RLMs as they rolled out of the blue hanger. (still there!).
    I will add more info and some photos later.

Another interesting point is that one episode of the Sweeney in the 1970s was filmed partly at Penton Hook Marina and in the shed used by "The Trim Shop". In one scene you can clearly see people working on a brand new RLM Bahama in the dock in front of the blue "hanger" where they were built. (Sweeney on DVD still available as a box set)

Steve
    Last edited by RLM Arctic Fox; 16-10-15 at 12:16.

Hi Steve

I remember Arctic Fox, I'd forgotten she was an Entice Aft Cockpit. I remember you showing me around a few years back when she was in the crane bay. I've just had all the handrails renewed and had a cabin sole fitted to the wheelhouse - such a difference. Looks like I'll need to get a couple of stancions made as I've more the gate position forward. to aide getting in a out easier. Still some work to go and hopefully I'll be back down in Hythe next year.

ATB
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Ecquitee View Post
    Bahama 31's were 4T dry, 5T with water and fuel. This boat has a back cabin, 4 fuel tanks, 2 x heavy 6 Cyl engines and Volvo Outdrives. And then there are the spares and other equipment that I carry. The hull is min 10mm everywhere, this was a hull designed to punch through a sea. Like you, I didn't imagine the boat would be that heavy but it is.
    Not convinced! Seniors were not particularly heavily built and even with big engines you're talking about displacement on a light GRP 40 footer.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

I did more miles in my project 31 and by far worse weather than in any other boat I've owned.... 8 knots in the bristol channel can get dodgy, especially when the tide turns ��

Ahoy !
    This must be the longest running thread on Project 31s. I was looking for an owners club and information on the interchangeability of XD2/XD3/XD90/LDV400s as I have two saltwater corroded AQA21s ?
    Also some pretty extensive water ingress which I think is from the stern deck forward. Thinking of adding a stern cabin ? Anyone interested in starting a club ? Blackwater based.

If Artic Fox is the RLM I'm thinking of (and was moored opposite me in Penton Hook a couple of years ago) she is absolutely stunning and probably is better now than day one when she first came out of the hanger at Penton.

Hope the owner does post some pictures.

Artic Fox does indeed look stunning.There is another A1 Entice moored very near the trim shop.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast