Default WANTED Yanmar 2GM20 Tachometer Sensor

Hi,

I am fitting a tacho to a Yanmar 2GM20 and require the tachometer sensor the screws into the bellhousing cover.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

Dont bother with a Yanmar genuine one, have a look at these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSP6729-Ma...item2a20f80afb

I purchased one for use on a 1GM10 and the B Type panel with the tachometer. The sensor has a 3/8 thread and trial and error lead me to using an old spark plug ( I think from the old Ford Pinto OHC engine, but can check) with the porcelain insulator removed, to screw into the gearbox bellhousing. I then screwed the sensor into the sparkplug and locked off with nuts/washers either end. The depth is trial and error as you dont want the end of the sensor hitting the teeth on the flywheel. Easiest way is to get one of the teeth into view through the bellhousing hole, as central to the hole as possible. Screw your sparkplug base into the bellhousing hole and then dab a small amount of Tippex onto the end of the sensor. Place the sensor into the sparkplug base and use the locknut on the sensor to raise or lower the sensor until you notice the Tippex either removed from the sensor or transferred onto the flywheel tooth. Once determined what the "touching" depth is, screw the locknut about 1 - 1 1/2 turns into to lift the sensor away from the flywheel tooth, and then remove assembly from bellhousing. You can then palce a locknut at the bttom end of the sensor to lock into place. I intend to epoxy my sensor into the sparkplug base as well for good measure. If you need pics, PM me with an email address.
    Sensor takes about 2 weeks to arrive from China.

That beats the 150 they want for a new one and worth a try, the guage I am fitting is a VDO tacho which should be able to work with that sensor. I would be interested to see a picture of it so I will PM you.
    Thanks Simon

Default Re: WANTED Yanmar 2GM20 Tachometer Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by mickywillis View Post
    Simon,

Dont bother with a Yanmar genuine one, have a look at these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSP6729-Ma...item2a20f80afb

I purchased one for use on a 1GM10 and the B Type panel with the tachometer. The sensor has a 3/8 thread and trial and error lead me to using an old spark plug ( I think from the old Ford Pinto OHC engine, but can check) with the porcelain insulator removed, to screw into the gearbox bellhousing. I then screwed the sensor into the sparkplug and locked off with nuts/washers either end. The depth is trial and error as you dont want the end of the sensor hitting the teeth on the flywheel. Easiest way is to get one of the teeth into view through the bellhousing hole, as central to the hole as possible. Screw your sparkplug base into the bellhousing hole and then dab a small amount of Tippex onto the end of the sensor. Place the sensor into the sparkplug base and use the locknut on the sensor to raise or lower the sensor until you notice the Tippex either removed from the sensor or transferred onto the flywheel tooth. Once determined what the "touching" depth is, screw the locknut about 1 - 1 1/2 turns into to lift the sensor away from the flywheel tooth, and then remove assembly from bellhousing. You can then palce a locknut at the bttom end of the sensor to lock into place. I intend to epoxy my sensor into the sparkplug base as well for good measure. If you need pics, PM me with an email address.
    Sensor takes about 2 weeks to arrive from China.
    Hi Micky Willis,I know your post was a long time ago,however here goes .I am having same problem with tacho sender,I am a bit of a badger but you have completely lost me on the old spark plug mod.Could you please contact me via e mail haddonbob@yahoo.co.uk and send me a sketch or photos ? That would be great..Thank you.

He looks like he is just using the housing of the spark plug as a reducing bush, you could just get one from most hydraulic fittings supplier, take the blanking plug and the sensor from eBay.

Sorry.long time ago and boat now sold, so no pictures available. But Daverw is right, I used the sparkplug body as a reducer for it to fit into the Yanmar engine.

Hi Simon

I've also got a 2GM20 without a tachometer. Where did you get a guage from and did you use the cheaper sensor.

Cheers
    Andy

Try a tiny tach. Very easy to install, not expensive either.