Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Own Boat Tuition

Hi
    I am looking for someone to give me “own boat tuition” that is reasonable priced. The dates I have available are Monday 30th September Sunday 6th October. Can anyone provide me with some details please. The qualification is important at the end of the week, but not essential. I am based in the Poole area

Sorry it a sail boat, 35ft

I have been studying my theory for 5 weeks, but I need to put it into practice. Any takers?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by the-drifter; 17-09-13 at 07:08.

Talulah is offline Registered User

Worth mentioning what the boat is. i.e. Sail or Power.
    Also, instructors can't issue certificates. Since the qualification is important you need to make sure they are part of a sailing school who can issue the ticket.
    Last edited by Talulah; 17-09-13 at 07:09.

Have you contacted all the local RYA schools?
    Cynical Scots engineer who sails a Mirage 28

If I was back in the UK, I would have taken you up on it. Sadly I am in Croatia dealing with the aftermath of a lightning strike. Electronics - been using the Multimeter more times today than I have when I studied electronics at school :-))

Good luck in your quest.
    Perfect for sailing and skiing!
    http://www.marineandoutdoorclothing.co.uk/

nigelmercier is offline Registered User

There are all sorts of hoops that the school have to jump through to make an own boat course official. My wife has just spent a week on our boat with the chief instructor from Canary Sail, a marvellous experience for both of us. She decided to forgo a Competent Crew certificate and focussed on the things she finds difficult. She can now berth alongside better than I can!

What do you call reasonably priced?
    Last edited by nigelmercier; 17-09-13 at 22:36.
    Nigel
    FREE Bavaria Yacht Forum: www.bavariayacht.info

I got own boat tuition through Hamble School of Yachting, many years ago. They were insistent that the boat was safely equipped before allowing tuition. Assume most schools will do this, particularly late in the season when trade is dropping off.

Quote Originally Posted by the-drifter View Post
    Hi
    I am looking for someone to give me “own boat tuition” that is reasonable priced. The dates I have available are Monday 30th September Sunday 6th October. Can anyone provide me with some details please. The qualification is important at the end of the week, but not essential. I am based in the Poole area

I have been studying my theory for 5 weeks, but I need to put it into practice. Any takers?

thanks in advance
    Own boat tuition is a service we provide; more commonly during an owner assisted yacht delivery, but not exclusively. Most of my Skippers are Yacht Master Instructors (with 50,000+ miles experience) and we could certainly tailor 5 days tuition to suit your requirements.

Feel free to get in touch anytime if you want further advice or to discuss your options.

All the best,

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

alant is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by the-drifter View Post
    Hi

thanks in advance
    What is the "qualification" you are talking about?
    As previously stated, only RYA Sea Schools can issue RYA practical certificates.
    So unless an instructor is 'attached' to a school, then all you get is instruction & a pat on the back.

I have had own boat tuition in the past with Richard "Sticky" Stapylton. Top bloke. He is a very good sailor & tutor & pretty flexible with locations. RYA recognised. You could try contacting him to see if he is free for your preferred days or any suitable alternatives:

http://www.sail-help.co.uk/
    WAFI formerly known as Second Affaire

nigelmercier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown View Post
    I have had own boat tuition in the past with Richard "Sticky" Stapylton...
    Reminds me, there are some useful forms published by "Sticky" on the PBO web site: http://pbo.co.uk/stickyforms
    Nigel
    FREE Bavaria Yacht Forum: www.bavariayacht.info