Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Ive been on quite a few of these, done quite a few dayskppier courses on them, and been out in some VERY heavy weather.

The dipstick needs handing, its madness that they dont do this as standard. The only other real fault with them is very tall people cant get comfortable at the upper helm.

And as wonky has said they really benefit from a sternthruster. There are few boats I say this about but on this one it is true. The propwash is significant and the thruster makes some tight spots possible, and de stresses others.

They are economical, handle the rough stuff very well indeed and they are a great boat. Spacious and airy inside, good flybridge, good side decks. At that £ and size would be my choice.

But as youre tall you really do need to check youre happy with the upper helm.
    Upper helm is a tight fit, I was going to remove the back rest to allow a few inches more legroom.

Hi Anders,
    I have an Antares 30, It is a very simple modification to alter the seat back, this will transform the upper helm. I went back four inches and the flybridge table will not fit lengthways but we do not have it up there much and only at anchor anyway but you probably only need 2, and there is a chance the table may also fit, but 4 inches does give plenty of lounging room.
    Regards Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneysider View Post
    Hi Anders,
    I have an Antares 30, It is a very simple modification to alter the seat back, this will transform the upper helm. I went back four inches and the flybridge table will not fit lengthways but we do not have it up there much and only at anchor anyway but you probably only need 2, and there is a chance the table may also fit, but 4 inches does give plenty of lounging room.
    Regards Scott
    Hi Scott,

Any chance of a photo of the seat modification? I have very long legs and suspect I'll need 3-4" extra leg room to sit comfortably at the helm.

Anders

I will take one when I am next on the boat. For those who have fitted a stern thruster to an Antares 30 or who knows of a company in the UK that does them I would appreciate the contact details as I am considering fitting one to my boat, and the guys here in Australia are looking for clues as there are only a small number of boats here- It seems like a big job involving removing fuel tank?
    Regards Scott

I will take one when I am next on the boat. For those who have fitted a stern thruster to an Antares 30 or who knows of a company in the UK that does them I would appreciate the contact details as I am considering fitting one to my boat, and the guys here in Australia are looking for clues as there are only a small number of boats here- It seems like a big job involving removing fuel tank?
    Regards Scott
    Ellessar (posted above) both supplies and fits and has done at least one Antares 30

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Ellessar (posted above) both supplies and fits and has done at least one Antares 30
    we've done quite a few and thanks for that, but we have no capacity to take any more on for the foreseeable I'm afraid. Nice to be busy!

They are a tricky fit as there isn't much space. They have to be offset, but that doesn't effect their performance at all.

Osmotech I know have done quite a few of them, and I'd recommend them.

Regards Scott
    Appreciated. I went to the show again on Sat and removed the back rest padding...still not enough leg room. So if your solution doesn't work, I'll have to remove the back rest completely.

I had a chat with Osmotech at the show, they have installed them before and gave ball park figure of £3.5-4K fitted. There an option to fit the motor beneath the bathing platform with controller living in lazarette.

Anders

Regards Scott
    Sorry i didn't read this properly. You dont have to remove the tank, you can crawl in just. But it is a tight fit.

Thanks Elessar, I have attached a pic that shows a stern thruster from an Antares 30 for sale, it looks like the boat, similar rudder prop tunnel etc. The thruster seems to be mounted on the starboard side of the prop tunnel, but when I look at the transom on my boat from inside there is a fibreglass box holding the steering gear, I could see where you could possibly cut an access hole at the front and mount then thruster with the motor in this box?, but it seems like the fuel tank would need to come out? On the other side there seems to be complication with a fibreglass lining and the anode is mounted there. Is this your installation similar to this? or have you a different location/install?

Anders,
    I would have the dealer remove the seat back including metal frame, it is not hard, two bolts that are access though removable panels in the helm seat front. Then you will get a good feel of the helm when you can stretch out properly. The flybridge is well worth having over the non flybridge version
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Elessar, I have attached a pic that shows a stern thruster from an Antares 30 for sale, it looks like the boat, similar rudder prop tunnel etc. The thruster seems to be mounted on the starboard side of the prop tunnel, but when I look at the transom on my boat from inside there is a fibreglass box holding the steering gear, I could see where you could possibly cut an access hole at the front and mount then thruster with the motor in this box?, but it seems like the fuel tank would need to come out? On the other side there seems to be complication with a fibreglass lining and the anode is mounted there. Is this your installation similar to this? or have you a different location/install?

Anders,
    I would have the dealer remove the seat back including metal frame, it is not hard, two bolts that are access though removable panels in the helm seat front. Then you will get a good feel of the helm when you can stretch out properly. The flybridge is well worth having over the non flybridge version
    that's the only place it can go. Battery goes the other side.

you have to cut an access hole in side of the box. Round corners etc to keep the strength.

don't forget you need to fabricate a support for the motor, as the tube can't take the weight of it.

and you need to fabricate a dam around it to protect it from bilge water.

do as much as you can before fitting the tube as you then have an additional access hole..........

the screws that bolt it on will be all different lengths as your transom varies in thickness there. You need to be very organised when actually bolting the tunnel on as you want those bolts all fixed on before the sikaflex skins over. Anything less than a perfect seal is unthinkable.

it is a tricky fit.

can find any inside pics.

hole goes here

you can see a bit of transom has to be built up and then gel coated

finished job
    Last edited by Elessar; 24-09-13 at 05:53.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast