Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vyv_cox is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Out of interest, had the prop anode only done four months as well? I have same prop, and after six months, the VERY expensive anode is similarly eaten away.
    No, both anodes have done at least two seasons. I first fitted the Bruntons anode without a shaft anode, years ago. It barely lasted one season. I then added the shaft anode, increasing the life of the bruntons to two seasons. The shaft anode lasts two or three seasons.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    You may have seen my posts about Hammerite special metals primer. Last year I applied it to my prop, with four coats of Velox antifouling as specified. At end of season the antifouling was pretty good but quite a bit of it had chipped off. This year I sanded off the antifouling, applied two coats of antifouling, and also did the p-bracket with Hammerite and two coats of antifouling. Results excellent. Photo taken before pressure washing, as hoisted after 800 miles, four months afloat.
    Well if Vyv uses hammerite metal primer on bronze, so will I. Thank you Vyv!

I have gone across an advise to shine polish the bronze prop and threat it with silicon grease. It maybe is silly but I did that this August. Will check the prop after the winter.
    Tomas, Sailing is fun http://galion22.tk

Just a thought has anyone tried copper coat on their props. they say a first coat of epoxy primer then a top coat of copper coat and it should lat a long time. Te main problem with props is cavitation a the blade tips, this causes the coating to be removed by the water boiling at the tips which weakens the coating.
    Like I say, just a thought

vyv_cox is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theguerns View Post
    Just a thought has anyone tried copper coat on their props. they say a first coat of epoxy primer then a top coat of copper coat and it should lat a long time. Te main problem with props is cavitation a the blade tips, this causes the coating to be removed by the water boiling at the tips which weakens the coating.
    Like I say, just a thought
    It is difficult to get epoxy to stick to brass and bronze. I tried using West epoxy and Coppercoat on my P-bracket. Despite good efforts to roughen up the surface it didn't last at all well.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Woodlouse is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    It is difficult to get epoxy to stick to brass and bronze. I tried using West epoxy and Coppercoat on my P-bracket. Despite good efforts to roughen up the surface it didn't last at all well.
    I heard once that the recommended way of bonding epoxy to metal was to continue keying up the surface after the first coat of epoxy is on. This stops the metal oxidising which will form a much better bond.

Two coats of Trilux sprayed from a can onto bare metal. No primer. No significant paint loss. No significant fouling.