Page 1 of 172 1234561151101 ... LastLast

Default My new project... MFV Elizmor

Edit - 10/01/14 - Having trouble launching:
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...87#post4551987.
    Supposed to have launched on the 10th Dec, then the 7th Jan, but it keeps getting cancelled because of insurance/liability issues. Any help or suggestions received. Lots of good publicity available in return.

http://www.Elizmor.co.uk
    << website & blog

So after five years of living on my Colvic Victor 34 sailing ketch 'Milestone' (Miley) along the south coast, I have decided it's time for a new project.

Ever since I bought Miley, I have had a recurring dream where I discover an extra cabin on the boat. Living on a 34ft boat is pretty cosy and I've always wanted a bit more space.

Well, I think I've got it!

Say hello to Elizmor, a 53ft wooden ex-Scottish MFV. She was built in 1948 and has been skilfully converted into a liveaboard over the past 25 years. Elizmor is a ship in comparison to Miley - complete with bath, Rayburn, wood burning stove, microwave, fridge/freezer and washing machine! Not to mention the S P A C E! Most importantly, she still retains her sea-going features, including a fully-founded engine room complete with Gardner 6LX in full working order.

I found Elizmor lying on the hard in Preston Marina, where she has been out of the water for around 10 years. She has been well-maintained and lived aboard during this time, and is in remarkable shape - especially her hull. I enlisted a great surveyor who gave her a clean bill of health, after a week-long moisture test to check on the splining.

My plan is to re-launch Elizmor as soon as possible and then sail her down to the south coast - a long passage, and the Irish Sea in winter, nice! She needs a bit of work before she can go in the water, then I will launch her and sit her on a mud berth just next to the yard here where she can take up for a few weeks. She then needs some final recommissioning before she is ready to go to sea, so I will work through that whilst she is taking up, and then hope for a weather window for the journey.

It's very exciting... I still can't believe I am her new guardian... she is AMAZING!

I will use this thread to keep you all updated on our progress... now, I must go and throw another log on the fire.

Last edited by jellyellie; 10-01-14 at 11:36.

Wow! Nice one. Looks full of character
    Anyone seen Grabthar's hammer?

I can't wait for the video tour round inside... hint hint... :-)
    1978 Salty Dog 27

Looks Fab, good luck.
    Another log in the wood stove here as well, unfortunately its in the kitchen at home.
    Just here for the Craic!

Small world. A mate of mine was all set up to buy that boat - indeed we were on the road to Preston when the previous owner phoned to say he'd sold her. Mate was rather pissed off in fact, as he thought the owner hadn't been straight with him about the other prospects (ie you ) but I'm not sure about the details. Hardly matters now, anyway.

Would be very interested to hear how you get on with her.

Pete

Fantastic, best of luck with her. Looking forward to loads more photos. Glad to see the previous owners didn't knock a door into the hull having been landlocked for the last 10 years

Big boat. Best of luck with it all.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Looks great and I bet it is equally as nice inside; but oh boy oh boy being wood construction it would need a lot of looking after.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Looks great and I bet it is equally as nice inside
    Yep

(Nathan kindly visited and took some photos for us.)

Pete

Bags of respect to you madam

Page 1 of 172 1234561151101 ... LastLast