Page 16 of 172 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116 ... LastLast

Wow!

This is getting ridiculous. Launch cancelled for the second time. The marina have insurance issues again. I have bought a boat in a boatyard and just want to launch her!

Will keep you updated.

In the meantime, still on the hunt for a 50kg anchor

Quote Originally Posted by jellyellie View Post
    The marina have insurance issues again. I have bought a boat in a boatyard and just want to launch her!
    Sorry to hear that, I was thinking about you today and wondering if you were afloat now.

Hoping they get you in soon...

Quote Originally Posted by jellyellie View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. Launch cancelled for the second time. The marina have insurance issues again. I have bought a boat in a boatyard and just want to launch her!

Will keep you updated.

In the meantime, still on the hunt for a 50kg anchor
    Are they not already insured for launches? Or is it a reinspection of their crane? My FIL is an engineering surveyor for a multinational insurance company and he condemned the launch crane at a local boatyard on annual insurance inspection. Darn good job he did, he said it was ready to collapse.

Be very careful with cranes and insurance, it looks like the boatyard may well be on the ball.

Oh dear. Are you first boat in from the harbour wall or do they have to lift you 'over' another boat perhaps?

Are the - outside- crane contractors not insured to work in the yard and have their own liability paperwork for their equipment? Presumably in the course of their day to day jobs they get to swing stuff up over houses and building sites worth oodles of 000s.

Or are you using both an outside and the yard crane?

Anyway best of luck. Mild innit!
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

The yard she is in doesn't have a crane big enough to lift her so I need to get a 200t crane in. I'm literally right next to the quay wall, nothing in the way, she needs picking up and swinging 90 degrees so she's alongside the quay in the water.

First time round the marina told me to sort it out myself externally, so I arranged to hire a crane under a contract lift, booked a date etc. Then the marina advised I postpone the launch as they had some issues with it and wanted full indemnity which neither I nor the crane company could provide because somebody had to take responsibility for the ground suitability which I can't do. So that was cancelled.

Second time round, the marina organised it themselves, hiring the crane from the company and acting as the customer. Then it transpired their existing business insurance doesn't cover them for the full value of the crane - as they are hiring it themselves, not under a contract lift, they need hired-in plant insurance. They asked me to pay for them to increase their own insurance and didn't send a final revised quote until the evening before the lift was originally supposed to happen, which then went into double figures (!), so it was cancelled again.

Now I'm back to sorting it out myself and a bit stuck. I have found a good contact at another lifting company who is trying to sort it out through his insurance, with some better proof of ground suitability. Other than that I think I'll launch a competition and offer 3,000 to whoever can successfully launch her and accept all liability!

The real kick in the teeth was helping a friend launch his very similar 52ft, 35t wooden converted tug boat today, at a different yard, for just a few hundred quid and with no fuss at all.

Who would have thought trying to launch a boat from a boatyard would be so difficult? Maybe that's why she's been sitting on the hard for 10 years - because of paperwork!

Oh I am sorry to hear that. Sounds like a people problem tbh

Clearly at one time the ground was tough enough to lift her out eh?

Sheet Steel spreader plates under the crane come to mind.. Ask em what they use to guarantee stability on a buildi g site? A tame soil sampler? This forum has at least two civil engineers who may shine a light ....at least now 'we' know what's what at this stage to address ...

Or mebbe there's an army camp nearby? 3000 of beer buys a lorra muscle, enthusiasm and some heave-ho.

.Nelsons navy used to slide em in sideways on their bilge along a series of stout greased timbers if they had to...

Stonehenge got built without insurance ( as far as we know)....

All best,
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboatman View Post
    Oh I am sorry to hear that. Sounds like a people problem tbh

Clearly at one time the ground was tough enough to lift her out eh?

Sheet Steel spreader plates under the crane come to mind.. Ask em what they use to guarantee stability on a buildi g site? A tame soil sampler? This forum has at least two civil engineers who may shine a light ....at least now 'we' know what's what at this stage to address ...

Or mebbe there's an army camp nearby? 3000 of beer buys a lorra muscle, enthusiasm and some heave-ho.

.Nelsons navy used to slide em in sideways on their bilge along a series of stout greased timbers if they had to...

Stonehenge got built without insurance ( as far as we know)....

All best,
    JellyEllie,

I agree with BlueBoatman, and 3,000 sounds absurd !

The jobs for spreading load on the ground are widely used by the RAF and Army, known as PSP - Pierced Steel Planking.

It may well be worth contacting the Army at Thorney Island, I bet they'd do it as a PR exercise if possible.

Good Luck !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association www.anderson22class.co.uk

Hi both, the 3,000 is actually a figure much below anything I have been quoted so far.

We are happy that the ground is suitable now, got some data about a previous heavy lift that took place there.

I like the idea about the Army doing it with their steel sheets as a PR exercise! Elizmor is already attracting a lot of attention online so maybe they would go for it. Who would I contact?!

Page 16 of 172 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116 ... LastLast